Just Bought This New Pizza Stone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I have been shopping for a stone for a bit and decided I wanted a 16" round stone. I found some on line but the shipping on top of the stone price was a killer. So I checked Sur La Table's website the other day and found this: Sur La Table Round Cordierite Pizza Stone at Sur La Table There is a store in a nearby mall so SO and I went down there as part of our travels today and bought it. Pizza for dinner Friday!

The cordierite added to the ceramic makes it less breakable and less susceptible to thermal shock.

yay! Now the grandson can help make pizza again!

He prefers eating them...

He's visiting tomorrow and will want pizza for lunch so we'll head to the local pizza place for a couple of slices. I think that has become as special for him as it is for me. It's come to the point that if I go for a pizza without Steven, the owner (Pizza Guy) asks where he is?

He prefers eating them...

He's visiting tomorrow and will want pizza for lunch so we'll head to the local pizza place for a couple of slices. I think that has become as special for him as it is for me. It's come to the point that if I go for a pizza without Steven, the owner (Pizza Guy) asks where he is?

Well, you have proven to be the BEST Grandpa in the World!:)

Do you have to cure a pizza stone?

Also, I was watching an old Cooks Country and they placed the stone in the top third of the oven instead of on the bottom or the floor as is usually done. The logic was that the heat rises so the top of the oven is the hottest area and helps concentrate heat to cook the toppings and melt the cheese.

Please give us a full report !

I have been shopping for a stone for a bit and decided I wanted a 16" round stone. I found some on line but the shipping on top of the stone price was a killer. So I checked Sur La Table's website the other day and found this: Sur La Table Round Cordierite Pizza Stone at Sur La Table There is a store in a nearby mall so SO and I went down there as part of our travels today and bought it. Pizza for dinner Friday!

The cordierite added to the ceramic makes it less breakable and less susceptible to thermal shock.

Just what I'm looking for! Waiting for your test, thanks Andy M

Do you have to cure a pizza stone?

Also, I was watching an old Cooks Country and they placed the stone in the top third of the oven instead of on the bottom or the floor as is usually done. The logic was that the heat rises so the top of the oven is the hottest area and helps concentrate heat to cook the toppings and melt the cheese.

Please give us a full report !

No curing needed for this stone.

Cook's Country's method may work but so does the bottom of the oven method.

I'm really curious about the end result rather than the thermal shock values. If it works like a regular ceramic stone and resists breaking, I consider myself a winner.

Yes, $50 is a lot but this is over 16" in diameter and thicker than the one I had. I wanted that size so I can make a little bigger pizza and not have to be too fussy about placing it on the stone so nothing hangs over the edge. If all that comes in a material that won't crack easily, even better.

Is this heavier or lighter than a regular stone? I suspect because of the thickness it is a bit heavy.

It's fairly heavy. I can't say if it's lifghter or heavier than another type of stone of the same size. If I didn't know, I'd just assume it was a regular pizza stone. It's certainly heavier than my broken 14"-15" stone that's thinner.

While shopping, I saw some Emile Henry stones but they are glazed so I skipped them. To me the whole point is for a stone to be unglazed.

Last edited:
Andy, I know you make a great pizza and I'm sure you will be happy with your new stone. Myself, I own a fibrament stone and I'm very happy with it. I cook my pizza's @ 550 degrees and have had no problems with it for the last 10 years. I just feel that buying an American product is something to think about! Why make China richer and US poorer at times like these?

Frank, what do you know about this stone material?

I know nuth-ink.. NUTH-INK... :LOL:

I am just curious to see how it performs. Always like to get the skinny on something that works better.

Do you use a traditional peel for putting pizza in or do you use parchment?

Take a picture of it before you use it, might be the last time it is clean. :LOL:

I know nuth-ink.. NUTH-INK... :LOL:

I am just curious to see how it performs. Always like to get the skinny on something that works better.

Do you use a traditional peel for putting pizza in or do you use parchment?

Take a picture of it before you use it, might be the last time it is clean. :LOL:

I use a wood peel dusted with cornmeal. Similar to yours with a 6" handle.

So I self-cleaned the oven and wiped it out in preparation for pizza tomorrow. Took the stone out of the box and noticed a tiny crack that runs about two inches in from the edge. Back into the box. Going back for a replacement tomorrow. Hopefully I can get an undamaged one.

Ouch... at least you found the crack before using the stone. They might have been more contentious if had had burned on cheese when you returned it. :)

I tried corn meal and didn't like it. I use semolina and I think it works better, and think it tastes better too.

I turn the baking pan upside down and put it in the oven, then i preheat it.

i just place my pizza when ready on the pan and bake for 5 minutes and that is all i do.

this way of baking is perfect for thin italian pizza recipes.

I turn the baking pan upside down and put it in the oven, then i preheat it.

i just place my pizza when ready on the pan and bake for 5 minutes and that is all i do.

this way of baking is perfect for thin italian pizza recipes.

I have had pretty good luck with that method also. For me it is either two cookie sheets stacked or a large cast iron frying pan turned upside down in the oven. I would still like a pizza stone though and someday one will appear. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom