"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-12-2008, 10:24 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Kirkland (Costco) Signature Tri-Ply stainless by Tramontina

I reported in a couple threads that I'd bought this stuff after jonesing for some All-Clad Tri-Ply stainless. However, after I compared the two brands, I couldn't see the benefit of the AC over the Tramontina. $230 bought a 13 piece set of the Brazilian made cookware. It's taken me about a week or so to start getting the hang of using it on our Whirlpool Gold ceramic top range.

As I saute a lot, I was interested in the whole issue of heat and sticking. Following the cookware's directions using lower heat was giving me less than optimal results (yes, I know to preheat the pan and then add my fat). It seems that, at least on my stove, high heat is required after pre-heating on about medium to medium high (the 5 qt saute pan is a little big for my 9" burners) to get a good sear without sticking. You have to adjust temp downwards after getting the sear or you'll start burning things. Tonight's Chicken Scallopini was excellent.

Maintenance is a bit higher than my old non-stick pans in that I prefer to hand wash. Using Barkeeper's Friend is necessary to keep the pans looking nice. One of the things I read on these cooking forums a lot though is complaint about hard-to-scrub pans. Just be sure to deglaze (and make a pan sauce) and you will have little problem with dirty pans. After I sauce my food, I add hot water to the pan and leave it on the stove top. Makes clean-up very easy.

Nothing wrong with All-Clad whatsoever but if you can find Tramontina Tri-Ply at Costco under their Kirkland brand, I highly recommend it!

Old 02-12-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Thanks for this post, CSG. I've been looking at this cookware with my son in mind. It looks and feels very similar to my All-Clad and Calphalon cookware but I was hoping to hear from someone who had used it. Sounds like you clean it the same way you clean AC and Calphalon, too. I think you've just made my son very happy!

Old 02-12-2008, 10:37 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

I really think it's as good as All-Clad and I prefer the handles on the Kirkland over All-Clad's. At about the price of AC's similar size saute pan as the included one in the Kirkland set, you get the whole set of Kirkland! It's about 20% of the price of a similar AC set. Heckuva deal!!