"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Knives

Hey guys. I just got into this cooking experience, and I'm having lots of fun creating new recipes. I know that knives make the cook. What are the best kinds of knives to get that aren't super expensive?

msteve14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:41 PM   #2
Executive Chef

People new to cooking tend to go nuts about knives. You really only need a few, and they are kind of a personal thing.

I think a lot of people will agree that you should get a good chef's knife to anchor your knife collection. It is the most versatile. Buy that first.

I have had good luck with Henkel's International series of knives, which are generally made in Spain, instead of Germany, and do a pretty good job for a reasonable price. I've heard really good things about Victorinox knives, but have not used any.

I also have a few really cheap Chicago cutlery knives from an old block set. They are high carbon knives, so they can stain, and need to be maintained, but they take an edge very well.

I bought a Cuisinart chef's knife for my camper, and IMO, it sucks. It feels good in my hand, but I just can't get a good edge on it. It always seems dull.

Anyway, those are the knives I have personal experience with -- except for the Victorinox.

Where knives get personal, is how they feel in your hand. It is totally subjective, but if you do a lot of cutting and chopping, it makes a big difference.

I expect to see a lot of replies in this thread. Knife threads tend to be a post magnet.

CD

Old 02-19-2017, 06:49 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msteve14 View Post
Hey guys. I just got into this cooking experience, and I'm having lots of fun creating new recipes. I know that knives make the cook. What are the best kinds of knives to get that aren't super expensive?
Just noticed that statement. I can't say I agree. Some others may differ.

Off topic, but the one thing that took MY cooking results up several levels was when I learned about mise en place. Google it. Way more important than good knives, IMO.

CD
Old 02-19-2017, 06:59 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Americas Test Kitchen tests knives of different types. The Victorinox Forschner chef's and bread knives are always rated at the top. The price can't be beat.

I suggest you go to a cutlery store and handle the knives to be sure the one you buy is comfortable. I recommend you start with the V/F and move up if you feel the need. Victorinox Forschner Knives - Forschner Cutlery & Victorinox Knives | cutleryandmore.com

In addition to chefs and bread knives you should consider a paring knife. These three are considered the basics that you will use the most. You can always add more later.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:05 AM   #5
Head Chef

As Andy said, ATK recommends Victorinox knives with the Fibrox handle.

You also need to keep knives sharp. Some opt for a local knife sharpening service, others sharpen them at home. Here's ATK's knife sharpener review, along with another video on knife sharpening:

https://christopherkimball.wordpress...arpening-tips/

I have the Trizor and am quite happy with it.

Another very important tool (more important than knives) is a meat thermometer. A Thermopop from Thermoworks is a great inexpensive choice. I've had a few thermometers, and the Thermopop is the best one I've owned. Very fast.

ThermoPop® Digital Pocket Thermometer from ThermoWorks
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:40 AM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Willingness to play with your food makes the cook...knives are needed to help you play with your food. Pick knives that fit your hand and are balanced in YOUR hand. As Andy said, a chef's knife, bread knife and paring knife are the basic set, everything else is extra. Don't get a set, you will not use most of the knives in a block set. Build your set up from the basics to specialties.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:06 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

As far as a chef's knife goes, you will definitely need to decide if you want a traditional one with a slightly curved blade, or a santoku. The grip and hand/wrist motion is very different.

My wife prefers a santoku, but I like a curved blade. We have 2 knife blocks on the counter, and I try to grab "my" knives, but when I use a santoku, I have to remind myself to change my grip.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:54 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Knives

A word of caution about America's Test Kitchen. I don't think those people sharpen their own knives. I think they throw them out when dull like many commercial kitchens these days. So their reviews tend to be largely reviews of the factory edge. Imo, their reviews could be improved by getting someone on board with the skills to hand sharpen an edge (no gadgets).
Stock Pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #9
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Pot View Post
A word of caution about America's Test Kitchen. I don't think those people sharpen their own knives. I think they throw them out when dull like many commercial kitchens these days. So their reviews tend to be largely reviews of the factory edge. Imo, their reviews could be improved by getting someone on board with the skills to hand sharpen an edge (no gadgets).
Interesting. So on what are you basing this statement? Also, I've never heard of any commercial kitchen throwing out knives when they go dull. That makes no sense.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Sharpeners

btw, I had seen their knife sharpener review video before and it is a good review of gadgets. But gadgets aren't as good as hand sharpening if for no other reason than the "fine" side of the gadget is still pretty low grit, probably 800 to 1,000 grit equivalent . There is misinformation there, too. They imply that ceramic stones leave a jagged blade. In fact, if you want to get up to a 2,000 or 3,000 grit, ceramic stones or Japanese water stones are about your only choice. Diamond is great up to a point- very fast and aggressive- but I've never seen a diamond stone higher than about 1,000 grit equivalent. If they make them they are probably very expensive.

Stock Pot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knives