Kook Kwick - Kwik Kooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ekelly55

Assistant Cook
SW Colorado, with a view of the Grand Mesa
A friend recently acquired an ancient pressure cooker, sans gasket, that she has in turn offered to loan me. This is a rather scary-looking item, as the original pressure gauge and pop-off valve are there, but impossible to test w/o the gasket. This "Kwik Kooker" appears to predate Mirro and Presto by at least a decade. Anyone got a clue? This is too marvelous a find to just turn it into a doorstop or planter. It is aluminum (no rust) - other than the brand name scored into the lid, not other marks anywhere. :unsure:

I'm going to guess that what is on the lid is actually "Kook-Kwick" - NOT - Kwik Kooker ... something like this:

LotImg173699.jpg

If there is a gasket, or other replacement parts, available - these people should know Cooking and Canning Company

FWIW: Some pressure cooker/canners didn't have gaskets because of how they were machined and how the they were locked. Check with the people above ... they should know.

Kook Kwick cooker/steamer

Bingo! That's the item right there. Thanks for the info - any idea how ancient this thing is? I'm pretty sure, from the way the lid rattles up and down in the locked position, that a gasket is necessary, but I'll check it out. Could be a mis-matched pot/ lid combo left over from a rummage sale. :chef:

Yeah, I've heard tales and I know my mom was nervous every time she had to use hers. I have since found that Montgomery Wards retailed that particular model and gaskets are dang nigh unobtainable.

Mom just gave me a digital, programmable pressure cooker, no manual, that she used once. I understand the principle of pressure-cooking and think it's a handy thing to have, but have inherited my mother's nervous streak about them. I'd like to find an instruction manual for a Princess model #DYR350. I'm usually pretty good about figuring out electronic stuff (my VCR clock was always set, car radio presets and clock functioning, etc.) but this just gives me the willies.

The folks at the Cooking and Canning Company (see previous post) would be your best bet on finding a source for a gasket for your "Kook-Kwick" pressure cooker. Yeah, if there is any slack in the space between the pot and lid - then it's going to require a gasket.

The Princess electric digital pressure cooker was sold by HSN. If you want to get a copy of the manual you might try contacting Tristar Products, Inc. (the folks who either made or marketed the things):

Customer Service: 1-800-558-0420
Corporate Office: 1-877-973-3666

There is some chatter on the net that Tristar might be out of business ... you'll just have to call and see.

Those things, any of them, scare the daylights out of me. Ever since (and this is 50+ years ago) my mom's cooker decorated the entire kitchen.

i did the same thing, though it was mostly the ceiling and stove. doing rice in it. still don't know what i did wrong. it had one of the little gage things on top, it blew one way, the lid another and the rice everywhere. don't think i have used one since and that was over fifty years ago as well. :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom