"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-12-2011, 12:39 AM   #11
Senior Cook

I bought it from a cooking school / store in california. I don't own a car if not I would have go to an outlet just for the money savings :) When I made the purchase it was out of no where I think it was like 2 AM Isn't stuff from the outlet Senconds?

Old 03-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
...Isn't stuff from the outlet Senconds?
They do sell seconds - cosmetic imperfections. I have an orange (Flame) 7 1/4 quart French oven with a little orange speck on the cream colored bottom of the pot. Absolutely not effect on the cooking or durability.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
I bought it from a cooking school / store in california. I don't own a car if not I would have go to an outlet just for the money savings :) When I made the purchase it was out of no where I think it was like 2 AM Isn't stuff from the outlet Senconds?
They sell some new and mostly seconds. However, my skillet has absolutely nothing wrong with it that I can detect. I ask them to let me look it over first before purchasing. The imperfections are usually very slight and in some cases, like mine, practically undetectable. My tea pot, however, has a bulge I don't like and I will go back to exchange it.

Like I said, they do deliver so even if you don't have a car you can order over the phone and have it delivered. I do understand those late night online purchases! I almost bought my skillet from a website online for $89 but decided to go to the outlet first and I saved about $15. doing so. You can also check out some other sites online. If you google Le Crueset a whole lot of sites will come up and you can peruse them all to find the deepest discount.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #14
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
They do sell seconds - cosmetic imperfections. I have an orange (Flame) 7 1/4 quart French oven with a little orange speck on the cream colored bottom of the pot. Absolutely not effect on the cooking or durability.

You could always sand blast em out.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
You could always sand blast em out.

The imperfection is under the final glaze and I really don't care.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
The imperfection is under the final glaze and I really don't care.
That type of imperfection is a non issue. You can't see it if it is on the bottom of the pot, right.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaylady View Post
That type of imperfection is a non issue. You can't see it if it is on the bottom of the pot, right.

I can see it because it's on the inside bottom. I still don't care. It is still a non-issue.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
I can see it because it's on the inside bottom. I still don't care. It is still a non-issue.
I agree that the inside bottom is still a non issue. If you saw the stains inside my 7 1/4 Qt Dutch Oven you would know that. I have had that pot for over 10 years and use it at least 3 times a week. After years of use the inside does get stained and the finish is not as shiny anymore. But the pot has no chips and is still a workhorse in my kitchen.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

They last forever. I dropped it on my stove top once and now there is a big chip in the porcelain stove top. The pot is unmarked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03313.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	10222  
Old 03-13-2011, 01:59 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
They last forever. I dropped it on my stove top once and now there is a big chip in the porcelain stove top. The pot is unmarked.
That is what a lot of people don't understand. They look at the price and say it is not worth it but I don't know any other product like Le Creuset. These pots take a beating and still they last and last. None of my Le Creuset pots have any chips on them. They also have a lifetime warranty. I wonder what they would accept for a return based on the warranty. Would it be if it got chipped or the finish worn off or what?

I bought a Le Crueset Buffet Server or Braiser Pan once in a thrift store that had the handle on one side broken off. That was the only thing wrong with it, perfect condition otherwise. I paid $10 for it. I called the company (didn't tell them I bought it used) and they said they would have to decide if it was caused by my negligence or not but I would have to pay to ship it to them to find out. She offered me to purchase another one for a discounted price but I just kept it. I use it to roast in and don't use it for serving. For the life of me I can't figure out how the cast iron handle broke off of that pot?!