Le Creuset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've had my Le Creuset set for years--my mom got all the pieces I have for around $200. I recently did a "replacement cost" for the pieces I have (including the trivet). OMG--it would cost over $1500 to replace the ones I have. Definitely, it has gone up in price. I have my brother's set stored in my barn...I know he never has used it. If he doesn't take it soon, I'm tempted to ebay it!

I've had my Le Creuset set for years--my mom got all the pieces I have for around $200. I recently did a "replacement cost" for the pieces I have (including the trivet). OMG--it would cost over $1500 to replace the ones I have. Definitely, it has gone up in price. I have my brother's set stored in my barn...I know he never has used it. If he doesn't take it soon, I'm tempted to ebay it!

I would get permission from your brother first, LOL!

The 9 1/2 Qt Oval French Oven I just bought was listed for a retail price of $460 and the Outlet Price was listed as $285.93. I bought it for $171 because it was 40% off since the color was discontinued. I love the Citron color and would have bought more pieces at that price. This was the last one in that color in that store. Even $171 is a lot for a pot but I know this pot will last a lifetime and I am sorry I didn't get one this size sooner.

I have a 10" or 11" frypan and a large what they call Buffet Server with cover (both in Flame) that I got at a thrift store for about $8 for the both of them. They were in brand new condition. I also found another Buffet Server in blue at a thrift store around that same time for $10 but one of the handles was broken off (still works great though).I also found a few other fry pans, etc. That was back in the day when I found all kinds of bargains in thrift stores. Unfortunately, that dried up. I think more and more people do know what they have and if they don't want it they sell it on eBay. But, I still keep my eyes open and once in awhile I still get a good bargain.

I've noticed it recently that the thrift stores are drying up on all my favorite stuff..cast iron cookware, name brand cookware, asian style tea pots...I blame cooking shows..taking the stuff away from those of us with real respect for it..grrr lol

I've noticed it recently that the thrift stores are drying up on all my favorite stuff..cast iron cookware, name brand cookware, asian style tea pots...I blame cooking shows..taking the stuff away from those of us with real respect for it..grrr lol

I would agree--but a few months ago, I got the NICEST SS turkey roaster for $5. It is nice and heavy. It holds a 20 lb turkey, easy cleanup. We put it on the woodstove to evap maple syrup. I don't know why a person would get rid of it...we use it for baked beans...just the "scrap metal" value of it was more than $5.

This goes back to the "people don't cook from scratch" anymore and can't be bothered. I imagine this was a wedding gift <g>. We like it. I've bought a lot of my corningware at estate sales...I am partial to the cornflower blue.

I have noticed it too but I blame it on eBay and also wonder if the people who work at these stores don't buy up all the good stuff before it gets onto the floor. I have been in Goodwill stores when they wheel out a cart of new stuff and most of it is garbage. I used to wait for the cart and it had countless riches on it. I wish I knew then that it would dry up I would have bought more. :LOL:

Interesting idea. I have Rumpertopf Clay Pots which I would use for that purpose.

Do you use them for other stuff? I would love to have at least one. There are Danish recipes that are traditionally cooked in those, even though the CI dutch oven works too.

Do you use them for other stuff? I would love to have at least one. There are Danish recipes that are traditionally cooked in those, even though the CI dutch oven works too.

Oh, yes, I love my Clay Pots. I have about 4 of them in different sizes. I mostly use it for cooking a roasted chicken but I have cooked fish, turkey and other main dishes in there. I add vegetables right in there with the meat or poultry. Chicken come out very moist when cooked in a clay pot. But you have to soak the clay pot for about 15 minutes before each time using it unless it is glazed.

Last edited:
Oh, yes, I love my Clay Pots. I have about 4 of them in different sizes. I mostly use it for cooking a roasted chicken but I have cooked fish, turkey and other main dishes in there. I add vegetables right in there with the meat or poultry. Chicken come out very moist when cooked in a clay pot. But you have to soak the clay pot for about 15 minutes before each time using it unless it is glazed.

Roasts are clay pot's best friends or vice versa. :ROFLMAO:

I have several pots in different sizes.

If anyone frequents Tuesday Morning stores I saw a few LeCreuset Dutch Ovens at the Tuesday Morning in Torrance, Ca. today. They are known for their good prices but I think it is still cheaper to go to the LeCreuset Outlet.

I only have one. It is glazed (I think, it is in its box at the moment and hard to get to). I soak it for about 15 minutes. I use it for German pork roast. I basically take a boneless pork roast, smear it with Dijon mustard, roll it in flour (to which salt and pepper are added), brown it. Then I put it with a bottle of beer (not the bottle, the beer that is in the bottle <g>) and apple cider, apple, onion, raisins, carrots, and potatoes, and pop it in the oven at 350 until it is done. This was something we'd eat on Sundays when I was an exchange student in Germany. I have also used it for chicken cattatorie (sp) and chicken paprika, but usually use it for the pork roast.

A friend of mine did pork roast on the BBQ using new clay flower pots that he soaked and then "tied" together. The pork was amazing.

Funny thing--I've had friends complain about my knives (I have some good knives, some not so good...on my list...but am still struggling with which knives to buy), but none have ever complained about my pans...except that when the lasagne pan is full, it is heavy <g>. Like my Birkenstock hiking boots (and my DH), I have friends who've jokingly said that when I die, they want my boots, my pans, my DH (even the one who wears 3 sizes smaller than I do--she vowed to stuff socks in the toes if I'd leave her my boots). My boots go with me--I'd never spent that much on footwear before (it was a long summer of working 100+ hours/week for 12 weeks--my treat to me) and I plan on wearing them until the end (and thereafter).

Last edited:
I only have one. It is glazed (I think, it is in its box at the moment and hard to get to). I soak it for about 15 minutes. I use it for German pork roast. I basically take a boneless pork roast, smear it with Dijon mustard, roll it in flour (to which salt and pepper are added), brown it. Then I put it with a bottle of beer (not the bottle, the beer that is in the bottle <g>) and apple cider, apple, onion, raisins, carrots, and potatoes, and pop it in the oven at 350 until it is done. This was something we'd eat on Sundays when I was an exchange student in Germany. I have also used it for chicken cattatorie (sp) and chicken paprika, but usually use it for the pork roast.

A friend of mine did pork roast on the BBQ using new clay flower pots that he soaked and then "tied" together. The pork was amazing.

Sounds good. I make a roast chicken and I coat the chicken with Olive Oil, then season it. I put an onion, an apple and some cut up celery in the cavity of the chicken. Then I cut up potatoes, carrots, sometimes zucchini or other veggie, and another apple or two and place that around the chicken. I don't put anything else in, put the cover on the clay pot and cook in convection oven for about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours and it comes out delicious and makes its own gravy.

Last edited:
Bump!

I have a "size D" LeCreuset dutch oven. I figured out I've had it for 36/37 years. It pitted. So, I contacted LeCreuset Canada (this was purchased in the US), sent a picture of the inside and the bottom (to prove it was a LeCreuset pan). I just got an email with an attached form that it will be replaced as per the lifetime guarantee. This was not normal wear-and-tear (and I have used that pan a lot--it is the one I probably use most often). So, for the $, it is nice to know that 36/37 years later, the company will replace it.

Nice :) Good to know. I have several Le Creuset items, too.
I do have to pay to ship it to Montreal...can't deliver it next time I'm there "for security reasons, drop offs are not accepted." I'm going to ship it from Cornwall (which is close to the farm and not too far from Laval, which is where it has to go).

don't hesitate to take a company up on its lifetime warranty.

that's what lifetime means.

i read recently that less than a fraction of a percent of all items sold with "lifetime" warranties are ever replaced by the company, so it's not a big deal to them and they get great advertising bucks out of both ends of the transaction.

if you're lucky enough that they're still in business in some cases.

I have a dutch oven that has badly worn enamel. The bottom has become very dark. It still works well, but I'd like a new one too...
Have you tried what is recommended using a mild bleach solution to clean it? The catch is the warranty is only good if you bought it or received it as a gift (read between the lines, you are the one who has cared for it since it was new according to the instructions included with it). I'm in my office working right now (deadline). I'd have to dig out my "user manual" for the ratio of bleach to water. I have done the bleach thing many times over the years to restore the interior.

Go to the website to get the information on the warranty. My newest piece I have registered, although I doubt I'll ever use the warranty. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom