"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

I've had my Le Creuset set for years--my mom got all the pieces I have for around $200. I recently did a "replacement cost" for the pieces I have (including the trivet). OMG--it would cost over $1500 to replace the ones I have. Definitely, it has gone up in price. I have my brother's set stored in my barn...I know he never has used it. If he doesn't take it soon, I'm tempted to ebay it!

Old 03-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #42
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I've had my Le Creuset set for years--my mom got all the pieces I have for around $200. I recently did a "replacement cost" for the pieces I have (including the trivet). OMG--it would cost over $1500 to replace the ones I have. Definitely, it has gone up in price. I have my brother's set stored in my barn...I know he never has used it. If he doesn't take it soon, I'm tempted to ebay it!
I would get permission from your brother first, LOL!

The 9 1/2 Qt Oval French Oven I just bought was listed for a retail price of $460 and the Outlet Price was listed as $285.93. I bought it for $171 because it was 40% off since the color was discontinued. I love the Citron color and would have bought more pieces at that price. This was the last one in that color in that store. Even $171 is a lot for a pot but I know this pot will last a lifetime and I am sorry I didn't get one this size sooner.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaylady View Post
I would get permission from your brother first, LOL!
I sent him an email--I my eye on his large dutch oven <g>.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #44
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to garlicjosh
Quote:
I have a 10" or 11" frypan and a large what they call Buffet Server with cover (both in Flame) that I got at a thrift store for about $8 for the both of them. They were in brand new condition. I also found another Buffet Server in blue at a thrift store around that same time for $10 but one of the handles was broken off (still works great though).I also found a few other fry pans, etc. That was back in the day when I found all kinds of bargains in thrift stores. Unfortunately, that dried up. I think more and more people do know what they have and if they don't want it they sell it on eBay. But, I still keep my eyes open and once in awhile I still get a good bargain.

I've noticed it recently that the thrift stores are drying up on all my favorite stuff..cast iron cookware, name brand cookware, asian style tea pots...I blame cooking shows..taking the stuff away from those of us with real respect for it..grrr lol
Old 03-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlicjosh View Post
I've noticed it recently that the thrift stores are drying up on all my favorite stuff..cast iron cookware, name brand cookware, asian style tea pots...I blame cooking shows..taking the stuff away from those of us with real respect for it..grrr lol
I would agree--but a few months ago, I got the NICEST SS turkey roaster for $5. It is nice and heavy. It holds a 20 lb turkey, easy cleanup. We put it on the woodstove to evap maple syrup. I don't know why a person would get rid of it...we use it for baked beans...just the "scrap metal" value of it was more than $5.

This goes back to the "people don't cook from scratch" anymore and can't be bothered. I imagine this was a wedding gift <g>. We like it. I've bought a lot of my corningware at estate sales...I am partial to the cornflower blue.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #46
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlicjosh View Post
I have noticed it too but I blame it on eBay and also wonder if the people who work at these stores don't buy up all the good stuff before it gets onto the floor. I have been in Goodwill stores when they wheel out a cart of new stuff and most of it is garbage. I used to wait for the cart and it had countless riches on it. I wish I knew then that it would dry up I would have bought more.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Interesting idea. I have Rumpertopf Clay Pots which I would use for that purpose.
Do you use them for other stuff? I would love to have at least one. There are Danish recipes that are traditionally cooked in those, even though the CI dutch oven works too.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:47 PM   #48
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Do you use them for other stuff? I would love to have at least one. There are Danish recipes that are traditionally cooked in those, even though the CI dutch oven works too.
Oh, yes, I love my Clay Pots. I have about 4 of them in different sizes. I mostly use it for cooking a roasted chicken but I have cooked fish, turkey and other main dishes in there. I add vegetables right in there with the meat or poultry. Chicken come out very moist when cooked in a clay pot. But you have to soak the clay pot for about 15 minutes before each time using it unless it is glazed.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:10 PM   #49
Head Chef

Quote:
Oh, yes, I love my Clay Pots. I have about 4 of them in different sizes. I mostly use it for cooking a roasted chicken but I have cooked fish, turkey and other main dishes in there. I add vegetables right in there with the meat or poultry. Chicken come out very moist when cooked in a clay pot. But you have to soak the clay pot for about 15 minutes before each time using it unless it is glazed.
Roasts are clay pot's best friends or vice versa.

I have several pots in different sizes.
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #50
Senior Cook

If anyone frequents Tuesday Morning stores I saw a few LeCreuset Dutch Ovens at the Tuesday Morning in Torrance, Ca. today. They are known for their good prices but I think it is still cheaper to go to the LeCreuset Outlet.