Le Creuset Baking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katwill

Assistant Cook
Good day all, New to the forum, Forum looks great. Quick question, I just received a really nice Let Creuset cookware set and I am wondering if they are safe to put in the Oven. My dutch oven has a hard plastic black handle and I am wondering if there is a melting concern? New to this, thanks. all.

Good day all, New to the forum, Forum looks great. Quick question, I just received a really nice Let Creuset cookware set and I am wondering if they are safe to put in the Oven. My dutch oven has a hard plastic black handle and I am wondering if there is a melting concern? New to this, thanks. all.

Welcome to DC!!

Lucky duck! :) Your Le Creuset is perfect for the oven, no worries about the handle!

Thanks princessFiona.... Funny, we are watching Shrek Forever After at this time and here you are. LOL. Thanks for the quick reply. I cant wait to make French Daube and or Coq au Vin in these babies.

Thanks princessFiona.... Funny, we are watching Shrek Forever After at this time and here you are. LOL. Thanks for the quick reply. I cant wait to make French Daube and or Coq au Vin in these babies.

Oh yeah! We made that movie a bit ago, haven't watched it, yet!:LOL: Even ogres stay home for Christmas!:) That's the next movie we will be watching, but Shrek is in a food coma and napping. I'm about ready to crash myself for about 30 minutes!:mrgreen:

Be very careful when washing it. Check the manual for washing instructions. You don't ever want steel wool or anything harsh.

At my house the steel wool is nowhere near the kitchen. There have been oopses in the past by "helpful" guests. :angry:

Oh, and welcome to the forum :)

Be very careful when washing it. Check the manual for washing instructions. You don't ever want steel wool or anything harsh.

At my house the steel wool is nowhere near the kitchen. There have been oopses in the past by "helpful" guests. :angry:

Oh, and welcome to the forum :)

Yes, very true. I dont keep many abrasive pads in the kitchen. I use an organic loofah and mild soap to wash them. I hear that using Bar Keepers Friend to clean them is also good. Have yet to try it. Great Site by the way.Thanks for your help.

I've had my Le Creuset for 32 years. My mother bought it for me when I got my first apartment. My only complaint (after all these years) is that when I use the lasagna pan, it is really heavy to lift out of the oven (in my dream kitchen, I want a built in oven...it's coming, slowly but surely). I refresh the "seasoning" regularly. I had an accident with my 8-qt pot recently...the beets boiled dry. I tried baking soda, it helped but didn't get rid of the stain. I went on line, and learned that one can pour bleach in the pan, bring to a low boil, let it sit overnight. It worked beautifully. It is in the oven reseasoning as I write this.

My brother also has a set of Le Creuset. I saw a "blurb" on TV recently that Le Creuset is the "sexist" cookware.

When my mother gave it to me (she added extra pans that weren't part of the set), she told me that it would last me my lifetime. She was right--it has made many moves with me and I wouldn't dream of replacing it. The only reason I'd stop using it is if I get too feeble to lift the pans.

K.

There is a bread recipe that is wildly popular and very good (plus easy) that calls for baking in a dutch oven at very high heat.

Some people unscrew the lid's black handle when they jackthe oven up to 500.

I dont though and its been fine.

I just place a piece of aluminum foil over the lid knob to be safe. I've been using my Le Crueset for about five years now and they've held up beautifully!

I've had my Le Creuset for 32 years. My mother bought it for me when I got my first apartment. My only complaint (after all these years) is that when I use the lasagna pan, it is really heavy to lift out of the oven (in my dream kitchen, I want a built in oven...it's coming, slowly but surely). I refresh the "seasoning" regularly. I had an accident with my 8-qt pot recently...the beets boiled dry. I tried baking soda, it helped but didn't get rid of the stain. I went on line, and learned that one can pour bleach in the pan, bring to a low boil, let it sit overnight. It worked beautifully. It is in the oven reseasoning as I write this.

My brother also has a set of Le Creuset. I saw a "blurb" on TV recently that Le Creuset is the "sexist" cookware.

When my mother gave it to me (she added extra pans that weren't part of the set), she told me that it would last me my lifetime. She was right--it has made many moves with me and I wouldn't dream of replacing it. The only reason I'd stop using it is if I get too feeble to lift the pans.

K.

I'm confused. I thought Le Creuset was enamelled cast iron cookware. If it is, how do you season it?

If it is, I wouldn't dare use bleach. Bleach etches tea mugs, so I would be worried about etching the enamel on the cookware.

I'm confused. I thought Le Creuset was enamelled cast iron cookware. If it is, how do you season it?

If it is, I wouldn't dare use bleach. Bleach etches tea mugs, so I would be worried about etching the enamel on the cookware.

It has been so long since I got my Le Creuset set, but for the pans that have the enamelled interior, what one was to do was to put vegetable oil in the pan and put it in the oven for about 1 hour to "season" it (I want to say at 200-250, but maybe the person who just got a set can correct me on that--it has been so long). For the frying pans, one was to put oil in the pans and put them on the stove at low...I clean my frying pans with salt and splash some oil in them, "season" them for about 20 minutes on low on the stovetop. I don't fret about the outside, but the forum where I found the information re: bleaching the inside did have a thread about how to clean the outside. As I recall, on person took her pressure washer to her pans...hadn't thought of that, I do have a pressure washer <g>.

The bleach did not etch the enamel. I was hesitant to do it, but because of the mess of the pan, I couldn't use it without everything sticking to it, so figured it was worth a shot or it was no longer a pan I could use. What started this whole thing was that I used denture cleaning "disks" to get the stains out and forgot to re-season it before it was used again. That's why the beets made such a mess of the pan. The polident did a great job--too bad I didn't re-season the pan before I used it again. Supposedly polident works great re: corningware to get out stains.

Le Creuset seems to be indistructable.

K.

I have a LC 6 qt. dutch oven and I love it. My only complaint is that it's heavy, but I guess that's what makes it great. You will find many uses for it ... it trully is a wonderful piece of kitchen equipment.

Enjoy your LC!

LC is enamel coated cast iron so no seasoning is necessary.

LC is enamel coated cast iron so no seasoning is necessary.
Oh--when I got mine 32 years' ago, the instructions were that I had to "season" all the pans. When I say that, what I had to do was season the pans in the oven or on the stove top with oil. Are you telling me that today one isn't told to do that?

Oh--when I got mine 32 years' ago, the instructions were that I had to "season" all the pans. When I say that, what I had to do was season the pans in the oven or on the stove top with oil. Are you telling me that today one isn't told to do that?

On their website it says that they don't need to be seasoned. But who knows, they might be made slightly differently now.

The bleach did not etch the enamel. I was hesitant to do it, but because of the mess of the pan, I couldn't use it without everything sticking to it, so figured it was worth a shot or it was no longer a pan I could use. What started this whole thing was that I used denture cleaning "disks" to get the stains out and forgot to re-season it before it was used again. That's why the beets made such a mess of the pan. The polident did a great job--too bad I didn't re-season the pan before I used it again. Supposedly polident works great re: corningware to get out stains.

Le Creuset seems to be indistructable.

K.

The etching on tea cups from bleach isn't obvious right away. It becomes obvious after many bleachings. So once is probably okay, but I wouldn't do it repeatedly. Of course, if the pot is so stained that you aren't willing to use it, then that's a different story ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom