Le Creuset non-stick pan.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackpig

Assistant Cook
Greetings to all and sundry and I hope that you had a hugely merry festive season without having to accomodate too many ancient and incontinent relatives. I have a small question. The missus recently purchased a very nice and expensive cast iron frying pan made by Le Creuset of France. The thing is coated with teflon. How weird is that. A fine cast iron pan should last a lifetime; the coating does eventually break down rendering the pan useless except as a weapon - and it would take a very fit person to wield it. Why would such a reputable manufacturer plaster their product with teflon? We have several other items by this maker and by jingo they're the best cookware we've ever come across. If they'd left the frying pan with just an iron surface it would have lasted so long I'd have been able to fry black pudding in Heaven.

:angel:

They probably made it due to demand. There's a lot of people out there that don't know how to cook in something that is non non-stick. I'm like you though - give me the pot/pan without the coating (except for eggs and a few other things, of course). :chef:

Greetings to all and sundry and I hope that you had a hugely merry festive season without having to accomodate too many ancient and incontinent relatives. I have a small question. The missus recently purchased a very nice and expensive cast iron frying pan made by Le Creuset of France. The thing is coated with teflon. How weird is that. A fine cast iron pan should last a lifetime; the coating does eventually break down rendering the pan useless except as a weapon - and it would take a very fit person to wield it. Why would such a reputable manufacturer plaster their product with teflon? We have several other items by this maker and by jingo they're the best cookware we've ever come across. If they'd left the frying pan with just an iron surface it would have lasted so long I'd have been able to fry black pudding in Heaven.

:angel:

I searched the LeC site and the only nonstick I saw was not cast iron. Their CI has a black interior but it's not a teflon type interior. What am I missing?

This thing is definitely cast iron - it weighs a ton. It has a teflon coating as well - by "recently purchased" I mean within the last six months or so; this particular pan may since have been discontinued. The outside is a very nice red enamel.

Edit: just checked the LeC site - here's my cast iron pan with the non-stick coating:

Le Creuset

Last edited:
blackpig,
I agree with you, it is unfortunate since LC produces great cookware. I guess they want a slice of the non-stick part of the market.

I personally do not own, use or recommend non-stick cookware.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom