"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Thumbs down Le Creuset non-stick pan.

Greetings to all and sundry and I hope that you had a hugely merry festive season without having to accomodate too many ancient and incontinent relatives. I have a small question. The missus recently purchased a very nice and expensive cast iron frying pan made by Le Creuset of France. The thing is coated with teflon. How weird is that. A fine cast iron pan should last a lifetime; the coating does eventually break down rendering the pan useless except as a weapon - and it would take a very fit person to wield it. Why would such a reputable manufacturer plaster their product with teflon? We have several other items by this maker and by jingo they're the best cookware we've ever come across. If they'd left the frying pan with just an iron surface it would have lasted so long I'd have been able to fry black pudding in Heaven.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
They probably made it due to demand. There's a lot of people out there that don't know how to cook in something that is non non-stick. I'm like you though - give me the pot/pan without the coating (except for eggs and a few other things, of course).

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpig View Post
Greetings to all and sundry and I hope that you had a hugely merry festive season without having to accomodate too many ancient and incontinent relatives. I have a small question. The missus recently purchased a very nice and expensive cast iron frying pan made by Le Creuset of France. The thing is coated with teflon. How weird is that. A fine cast iron pan should last a lifetime; the coating does eventually break down rendering the pan useless except as a weapon - and it would take a very fit person to wield it. Why would such a reputable manufacturer plaster their product with teflon? We have several other items by this maker and by jingo they're the best cookware we've ever come across. If they'd left the frying pan with just an iron surface it would have lasted so long I'd have been able to fry black pudding in Heaven.

I searched the LeC site and the only nonstick I saw was not cast iron. Their CI has a black interior but it's not a teflon type interior. What am I missing?
Old 01-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

This thing is definitely cast iron - it weighs a ton. It has a teflon coating as well - by "recently purchased" I mean within the last six months or so; this particular pan may since have been discontinued. The outside is a very nice red enamel.

Edit: just checked the LeC site - here's my cast iron pan with the non-stick coating:

Le Creuset
Old 01-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I searched the LeC site and the only nonstick I saw was not cast iron. Their CI has a black interior but it's not a teflon type interior. What am I missing?
US Le Creuset vs. UK Le Creuset website.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodstorm View Post
US Le Creuset vs. UK Le Creuset website.

That's it. Different products on the UK site, including nonstick enameled cast iron.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:57 PM   #7
Senior Cook

My parents have the same pan...dad thinks it is fabulous and mum hates it.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:30 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
blackpig,
I agree with you, it is unfortunate since LC produces great cookware. I guess they want a slice of the non-stick part of the market.

I personally do not own, use or recommend non-stick cookware.