Le Creuset or Le Chasseur (enameled cast iron cookware)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeisner

Assistant Cook
I was going to replace my junk Scanpan 4L dutch oven with a 4 or 5L cast iron french oven ;-)

Le Creuset has a very good reputation and that was what I was looking at, but here (Australia) they are incredibly expenisve. The 5L round french oven is AUD$399, whereas Chasseur which says it is also a dual coated cast iron, is about half the price here? Although the price difference in the US doesn't seem as great...

Does anyone know of the quality of this brand? is there a reason it costs less?

Often you pay for quality, but also often just for the name.. Scanpan is more expensive than Anolon, but I know first hand that Scanpan is the one that bubbles and peels in 6 months not Anolon. So lower price does not always mean it is always lower quality, and vice-versa..

Last edited:
I am not familiar with the brand. Maybe someone else will come along...

However, I have paid less for Le Crueset than some of the prices I saw for Le Chausser online. Also, check to LeCruest website for an outlet store near you. Significant discounts are availabe, especially for items with cosmetic blemishes.

Also, don't let it fall!

You'll suffer one of two consequences;

1. Either it will fall on your feet and you're on your way to the hospital!!

2. Or it will hit the floor and be dented, paving the way for rust set in!

~Corey123.

scanpan problems with bubbling

Interesting re your experience with SCANPAN I have similar problems and was wondering if others the same. Have been extra careful, only ever use wooden utensils and amazed that bubbles formed on the sides and bottom of the 1 litre saucepan, this bubbled material has since detached and left hole. I decided years ago to never try Teflon and wonder if Scanpan is really any much different.[/quote]

OK first regarding Le Chassuer:

I have bought a few pieces and so far so good, seem very well made and a joy to use.. So far I have the french oven (6Lt) and a milk pan, I am considering the grill and frypan..

tuppo63 said:
Interesting re your experience with SCANPAN I have similar problems and was wondering if others the same. Have been extra careful, only ever use wooden utensils and amazed that bubbles formed on the sides and bottom of the 1 litre saucepan, this bubbled material has since detached and left hole. I decided years ago to never try Teflon and wonder if Scanpan is really any much different.
[/quote]

Scanpan nonstick is junk IMHO, I have some pieces here going back for their 4th replacement under warranty (9lt and 4lt pots) and my Wok I think is going to have to go back for the 3rd time too... Luckliy when you do get them replaced they give you brand new ones in boxes and I am thinking of selling them... Then again I know they are junk so part of me feels too guilty to sell them, some people love them but many stores I know will not recommend, them but have to stock them as people keep asking for them?? :(

I have a scanpan fusion pots and small frypan, these are 18/10 stainless with aluminium cores. I love these, no problems at all, but no matter what the price I would never buy their non-stick stuff again.. Gone off nonstick altogether to tell you the truth..

The 5L round french oven is AUD$399,

What does that convert to in USD? The 5 quart can be had for $100-$175 USD depending on where you buy it. Shipping adds $$ though. The outlet probably sells them for less than $100.

jennyema said:
The 5L round french oven is AUD$399,

What does that convert to in USD?
Thats around US$290... I got the Le Chassuer 6Lt online locally for AUD$127 plus AUD$5.95 for shipping... massive price difference.. Greedy importer here for Le Creuset in my opinion, not uncommon though..

Unfortunately shipping for heavy pans from the US makes ordering from the US impractical for me :chef:

I guess all we can say is give the Le Chassueur a try . assuming you don't cook with a pickaxe or powerdrill the way some folks do, even seconds will last a lifetime.

I have a Le Crueset 5 lt Dutch oven which I purchased 41 years ago. The base is a trifle pitted but it is still our favourite pot. It was expensive and we were poor but I paid it off over several months. Worth every penny.
About 13 years ago I was given a large, heavy, cast iron frying pan made by Cousances. It also is a gem and leaves any non-stick pan for dead. A couple of years ago however, the handle broke off leaving a "bite" out of the side. I almost threw it out. I'm so glad I didn't. I can still manipulate it with an oven cloth and it cooks the best scrambled eggs and pancakes. I'd love to replace it but can't find another like it.
I've looked at, but never used, Le Chasseur. Doesn't look as good as my two preciouses.
Rospoole

Am in Canada, looking to purchase Le Crueset set for a decent price - where to purchase in Canada - warehouse or online is fine.

Thanks so much

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom