Le Creuset or Staub?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

web-collage

Senior Cook
I like my old seasoned cast iron pans but have been thinking of getting an enameled cast iron like Le Creuset for foods that can discolor. Williams Sonoma and some other stores are having specials on Staub pans. Staub is also enameled cast iron made in France but with dark interiors.

Does anyone have a preference? I like the look and colors of the Staub and the special price right now makes it a better buy. Also, I have heard that Le Creuset is now being made in China, which normally means a downgrade of quality.

Staub has a "Cocotte" with little bumps on the lid so juices will condense and drip onto the food. Does this make for better cooking?

...Does anyone have a preference? I like the look and colors of the Staub and the special price right now makes it a better buy. Also, I have heard that Le Creuset is now being made in China, which normally means a downgrade of quality.

Staub has a "Cocotte" with little bumps on the lid so juices will condense and drip onto the food. Does this make for better cooking?

On the LeCrueset website, they make reference to "Made in France since 1925".

While LeC doesn't have 'bumps" on the lid, juices will still condense on the lid and drip down onto the food.

I have read reviews on Staub and they are not universally positive. Check them out.

Long .... debate

Chowhound has a long debate about the merits of Le Creuset and Staub. It has been going on for years. LeC owners who have been using their cookware for many years prefer it. Those who have both seem to prefer Staub. Since the place and methods of manufacturing and ownership of both companies have changed over the years, I am hoping for a more up to date opinion. Are the dimples on the underside of coquette lid of any use? Some people think so, others don't.

I'm looking for a smallish size. For $99 there is a 2.25 qt, or 2.5 qt, or 2.75 qt (that one is Williams Sonoma plus shipping).

My opinion is that they are both comparable. The dimples do work, but as Andy said they are not necessary. You will get the same effect without them. I like a light color enamel as it is easier to tell what stage of cooking certain things are. Take a roux for example.

I don't think you will go wrong with either. If one is on sale over the other and you get a good price then go for it.

American company Lodge make a line of nice color enamel on cast iron cookware in every way as nice as the french stuff at a fraction of the price. Mae in the USA!

I'm afraid the Lodge enamelled cast iron is NOT made in the USA. The lodge web site says "imported from China" and another site says "All the plain/bare, pre-seasoned cast iron products are made in the USA, the enamelled cast iron is made in China."

I would rather buy a product made in France than one made in China.

I'm afraid the Lodge enamelled cast iron is NOT made in the USA. The lodge web site says "imported from China" and another site says "All the plain/bare, pre-seasoned cast iron products are made in the USA, the enamelled cast iron is made in China."

I would rather buy a product made in France than one made in China.

Not only that, I have seen the Lodge enameled cast iron in stores and a few times have seen chips on the enamel. This is in the store before anyone has even gotten a chance to purchase it. If it chips that easily, forget it. My LeCrueset is about 15 years old and not one chip on any of it. I even have some very old Descoware from Belgium that has no chips either. If it is made right it should not chip. Le Crueset has a lifetime warranty.

Back
Top Bottom