Le Creuset oven temp question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The latest issue (July & August 2008) of Cook's Illustrated has an article about Le Creuset. They have developed a metal knob that can replace the phenolic knobs on the current cookware. The new metal knob makes it possible for Le Creuset to be used at temps up to 500F. The new Le Creuset knobs also fit Lodge and Chef Mate Dutch ovens.

Anyone interested can see the article at the top of page 30.

The latest issue (July & August 2008) of Cook's Illustrated has an article about Le Creuset. They have developed a metal knob that can replace the phenolic knobs on the current cookware. The new metal knob makes it possible for Le Creuset to be used at temps up to 500F. The new Le Creuset knobs also fit Lodge and Chef Mate Dutch ovens.

Anyone interested can see the article at the top of page 30.

Can you buy the metal knobs for the older French ovens?

I thnk you can go to a hardware store and find one that fits, as well. As long as it's just metal.

Has baking the no knead bread at 450-500 degrees hurt the LC ovens cosmetically? I've read where some have said it permanently darkened the enamel of their ovens at those temps after making it in there many times.

hello, this is my first post and was curious as to how the brass worked out. was thinking about going out and buying brass knobs for kitchen cabinets to see how that works. i have a Le Creuset that i got second-hand from a thrift store for only $6! it has the phenolic knob which i believe are also rated for 350-400F. and has anybody who has Creuset covered their knob with foil? is that the same knob as the Lodge's?

thank you
Lodge has a plastic knob. I replaced it with a stainless steel one. Foil didn't help prevent the crack in the plastic knob at 500 degrees.

Has baking the no knead bread at 450-500 degrees hurt the LC ovens cosmetically? I've read where some have said it permanently darkened the enamel of their ovens at those temps after making it in there many times.

I have not had a problem. I use it at 500 degrees, and my handles and enamel are just fine.

Ditto

If I read the article correctly, it will fit any of the Le Creuset pieces, old or new.
I just got my first subscription issue yesterday & saw that in there. We have an outlet store nearby & I'll be on the lookout. :)

Back
Top Bottom