le creuset question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
i saw this really, really small le creuset piece today and i think i'm gonna get it. it would go well with some other things in my kitchen-to-be. but i don't have any idea what it is. i couldn't find any info on it and forgot to ask the salesladies what it was.
it looks like a mini dutch oven, almost. but it looks like it wouldn't hold much more than a pint. is it a pot? does it go into the oven?
thanks in advance for any tips.:)

that's the one, andy!
23.gif
thank you!:)

Those things are too cool I ordered 2 red ones and a 9.5" Oval Au Gratin in flame yesterday. :)

Stevie said:
my momma told me you better shop around... they're $14.95 here.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/

WOW!!!!! the ones i wanted were $64 each!!!!!!!!!!
i don't care, though. if have learned from my Dad that you only buy the best when it comes to your kitchen or anything else you really care about. but i know where i'll be getting mine now, lol! thanks!

Last edited:
But they last a lifetime (if you take care of them!)

I had a set of 9 saucepans as a wedding gift. I've added to the set throughout my marriage. The original saucepans are all going strong :cool: The only thing is that since I have arthritis, many of the saucepans are too heavy to use, except when I feel really pain free, so I have a full set of stainless steel pans, plus a few non-stick, too.

(The only thing with LC is: you need a fairly hefty kitchen cupboard to hold the weight of the pans and casseroles!

I have one dutch oven, which I use constantly in winter, not so much in the summer months. If you take the cost and times it by the number of times you'll use it, it'll be one of the least expensive items you buy over the long term. My mum has had hers since I was a baby (and I am ancient now) and still uses it.

I wouldn't by the little bitty ones, they are cute, but unless you were entertaining regularly and making cute little souffles and individual soups etc, I would be more inclined to invest my money in one of the larger ones.

I'm with Kyles. These seem way too small to spend that kind of $$ on.

But Ishbel is right on -- they will last a lifetime. So if you think they will be useful for you, LC is a good choice.

Yea me too. hahha! You could roast a head of garlic in a toaster oven.... I'm giving one as a gift.

i think i'm getting a couple of 'em. i'll shop around first, as recommended. mine will go to good use.

Fish Dish plus Cooking Pot Epiphany

Last night a friend came over after work, sort of a spur of the moment thing - meaning, I hadn't planned what to make for dinner. She's helping upgrade eldest daughter's Mac computer & I felt I should feed her properly. Me and DH would have just ordered a pizza.

After work ran to A&P, saw Tilapia fillets for $4.99. Bought 2 lbs. Mushrooms, 2 packs for $5 of baby bella. Tomatoes - wanted the New Jersey uglies but they were $3.99 so I went with plain.

Had in mind to make a fish dish for which I "sort of" have a recipe. You prepare a sauce then place the fish in the sauce & bake for about 30 minutes at 375. Usually, I do the sauce on the stove then transfer to a baking dish. Being Friday night, being lazy, it hit me that I should find a cooking pot that can go on the stove and in the oven to save myself washing up. I remembered an old, oval, enamel covered cast iron pot that was my gran's that somehow, despite many travels, ended up with me. I pulled it out of the back of the pot cupboard and made my fish dish in it - sauce on top of stove, transferred fish into it and placed in oven. It's only about a 3 qt. pot, so I was worried all that fish and sauce wouldn't fit, but it did. That's when it hit me! I NEED to get an enamel cast iron pot that could at least take a chicken. AHA! Le Creuset. Boy is it pricey though! My gran's pot probably cost less than one UK Pound - it's more than 50 years old. I am inspired and preparing to shop.

Here's an approximation of the fish recipe - it came out really good. I chucked in some of the Pino Grigio I was consuming at the time (about 2 glasses - 8oz).
For the 2lbs of fish, I juggled the ingredient amounts - also taking into consideration limited size of pot.

Sauce
Saute 1 onion, 3-4 cloves garlic in a little olive oil. When soft, reduce flame, add a gently rounded tblsp flour, some (tsp or so) dry Coleman's mustard, thyme (tsp or so), salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce (2 tblsp).

Added mushrooms (+/- 3 cups). Things were looking dry so that's when I was inspired to throw in the wine.

Added chopped tomatoes (2 med size).

Added fish. The fish really filled the dish, and sauce didn't completely cover, so, I threw more mushrooms on top, a couple of sprinkles of Worcest. sauce, thyme, salt & peper and placed in oven to bake for just over 30 minutes.

Served with rice (2 cups cooked in a Corning Ware French white 2.5 qt casserole dish in 4 cups salted water) cooked for 17 minutes on high in microwave.

Sandy, can't remember where in Jersey you are, but if you can get to Flemington to the outlet stores, there's a Le Cruset factory store there - I've gotten some great deals on 'scratch and dent' that I can't even see!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom