Le Creuset - Really?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was a lot younger then...but, the pans have withstood the test of time. II have been very happy with them. Maybe because of the memory of my mom buying them for me. The total came to around $200. She did the same for my brother. Both of us are LC fans.

No wonder they are a treasure to you CWS!! There's nothing more precious or priceless than the love that went into that gift.:flowers:

For me it is a simple reason, because we can. Its our money and we can spend it as we wish. Not to mention it will last for generations. The Scanpan skillet we purchased ($300.00 with lid) several years ago has the best non-stick surface we have ever had. You can use metal utensils if you wish.

I have a $20 Wearever skillet that I've had for at least 15 years, also safe for use with metal utensils. I'm actually really shocked at how well the non-stick coating has held up, I'm not even that nice to it! :)

I have both LC and Lodge and have used both for about 2 years. I find no difference in how they cook and clean. I took the plunge on the Lodge for 2 reasons, 1: I have used their cast iron for over 40 years and 2: I figured the worst thing that could happen is I could be out the ~$80 I paid for it. The lodge enamel has been wonderful and I now have a 6 and 7.8 quart ones.

As to the China, Apple products are considered bulletproof and hmmm, are made in China. I have spent 40 plus years in the manufacturing business and the Chinese will build what they are asked to. The can produce very high quality products if they are asked to.

Now, all being said, the interior of the LC in much smoother than the lodge but has a plastic handle.

Only time will tell which will last the longest and if the Lodge does not hold up, I'll get a LC and move on.

I have both LC and Lodge and have used both for about 2 years. I find no difference in how they cook and clean. I took the plunge on the Lodge for 2 reasons, 1: I have used their cast iron for over 40 years and 2: I figured the worst thing that could happen is I could be out the ~$80 I paid for it. The lodge enamel has been wonderful and I now have a 6 and 7.8 quart ones.

As to the China, Apple products are considered bulletproof and hmmm, are made in China. I have spent 40 plus years in the manufacturing business and the Chinese will build what they are asked to. The can produce very high quality products if they are asked to.

Now, all being said, the interior of the LC in much smoother than the lodge but has a plastic handle.

Only time will tell which will last the longest and if the Lodge does not hold up, I'll get a LC and move on.
Excellent point. Why didn't I think of that? So, basically, when a Western company starts having their manufacturing done in China and the quality goes down, it's because the company wanted cheap and asked for that.

Excellent point. Why didn't I think of that? So, basically, when a Western company starts having their manufacturing done in China and the quality goes down, it's because the company wanted cheap and asked for that.

+1 Sure, American companies want to give us their products that have become inferior to the quality we have relied on for years, and yet still charge a very high price for just the name.

If my memory serves me correct, a few years back, the foreman that ran a factory making baby formula for the Chinese infants was arrested, because they were producing a product that was killing the babies of China. And we should trust products from China because.........? :angel:

Last edited:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal

There were also all those deaths of pets from contaminated gluten in pet foods. Even Blue Buffalo used the ingredient in their food and they have a top reputation and their food costs an arm and a leg.

On the other hand, folks have been poisoned by lead leaching from their water pipes here in the US, and the government turned a blind eye.

Thanks for the link. Very interesting information. I knew that a couple of the folks had been put to death. I vaguely remember reading that the death penalty is carried out in China by a single bullet to the back of the head. The family is charged thirty-eight cents for the bullet. The gun a .38 caliber gun and the cost of the bullet comes to $.38 in American money. Weird information just floating around my skull.

Not only pet food, but sheet rock that we imported from China because our factories could not produce it fast enough. The Chinese factories placed asbestos, fiberglass, and other chemicals between the two pieces of paper. Today homes are being ripped apart so the sheet rock can be replaced. It is just one thing after another from China. I simply do not trust any product from there. :angel:

I forgot about the sheet rock. It was a big deal down here in Mississippi after Katrina. A lot of folks down this way used it when they had to rebuild after the disaster.

I am in favor of free trade. God knows the percentage of the stuff I have that comes from China. A huge percentage, I'm sure.

I grew up when "Made in Japan" meant that it would fall apart right after you paid for it and used it a few times. It was all just small cheap stuff. It did no harm, It just broke. The Japanese got their act together when they had the means. China is another thing entirely. They sell things within their own country and export stuff which causes harm. If they don't have better over site they will never make it in the global economy.

I didn't know about the bullet to the head and charging the family for the bullet. It's a fast way to go. I feel sorry for the poor guy who was tasked with pulling the trigger. I for sure couldn't kill someone...I'd prefer that they have locked the guys up and thrown away the key. I wish we would do the same thing here in the States. Nobody thinks of what the people who have to do the deed must suffer.

Last edited:
Liz, one of the strange things about the executions is that the condemned man is given three days to execution. The first day he is taken to jail, the second day his family comes to visit and the third day he is executed. No appeals. And there are no laws to prevent women from the same treatment.

When I worked at Wyeth Pharmaceutical, there were a lot of medical engineers and doctors who were from China. I used to have some great conversations during my lunch hour about life in China. Some of them stated that when they finished their studies, they did not want to go back to China. :angel:

Some companies don't go to China, at least not right away. Some of the larger chain stores try to get U.S. manufacturers to cheapen their products. My BIL works as an electrical engineer for a power systems company out of Kohler, WI. When a large Home Improvement company was looking to have their own house-brand power generators, they were in negotiations with that WI company. When the home improvement company started to ask about using smaller gauge wire and plastic fittings instead of metal, the manufacturer said they would not do it. The home improvement company had planned on making their version cheaper but charging nearly the same price as the manufacturer's own model, thereby increasing their profit margin. Needless to say, the company from WI was more interested in protecting their reputation and walked away.

I bought my 5.5 quart le creuset dutch oven after the kitchenaid dutch oven I had enamel started coming off. I love my le creuset so much I don't let anyone use it without me being there to supervise.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom