"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-23-2016, 01:03 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Now I really feel old. I graduated in 1957. And I too remember watching the Korean War. We had a small screen TV with a large magnifying glass in front of it. You could pull it out to make the screen larger. I even remember Howdy Doody with Buffalo Bob. And to stay on subject, I never heard of Le Creuset. I do believe what we had for pots and pans are now found in museums. Although my mother did have her large CI.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:13 PM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Hee hee! I graduated from high school in 1981
Children!!! And here I thought we were all adults.

(HS grad 1964 )

Old 03-23-2016, 01:22 PM   #33
Master Chef

Yo-Hi Red Devils Class of '72 !
Old 03-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
What can possibly make Le Creuset $240 better?
The same thing that makes All-Clad worth two to three times the price of any other tri-ply pots & pans. ABOSO-FRIGGIN-LUTELY NOTHING!
Old 03-23-2016, 01:31 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Rick, to reverse the question, do you make all your purchases based on how low the price is?
To answer your question, I make all of my purchases based on the quality I receive for the money I spend.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:39 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
This statement from the Lodge website would make me pause: "Our enameled cast iron is made to our strict specifications by our partner foundry in China." Given the poor track record for Chinese produced durable goods, a higher priced and higher quality item may be a better choice.
40 years ago, the same thing, and many more derogatory things, were said about Japanese products, as they flooded our markets with inferior goods. Now the average American thinks that Japanese made products are far superior to American made ones when in truth, most items, especially electronics are manufactured in China under license from Japanese companies and assembled in Japan.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:49 PM   #37
Executive Chef

For me it is a simple reason, because we can. Its our money and we can spend it as we wish. Not to mention it will last for generations. The Scanpan skillet we purchased ($300.00 with lid) several years ago has the best non-stick surface we have ever had. You can use metal utensils if you wish.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:03 PM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
40 years ago, the same thing, and many more derogatory things, were said about Japanese products, as they flooded our markets with inferior goods...
Japan earned their reputation for superior quality through years of effort to erase their poor quality reputation. When China does the same, Americans' attitudes will change for them as well.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:14 PM   #39
Master Chef

Remember the Subaru 360's? They were great little tiny cars with suicide doors but they were such nuisance on U.S. roads... They were hated by many....LOL...
Old 03-29-2016, 05:00 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
1981 is not that long ago!
I was a lot younger then...but, the pans have withstood the test of time. II have been very happy with them. Maybe because of the memory of my mom buying them for me. The total came to around $200. She did the same for my brother. Both of us are LC fans.