"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-29-2016, 08:46 PM   #41
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I met my first serious girlfriend in 1981 and bought my first Weber (Smokey Joe) that year.
I got back from military service in 1981.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:48 PM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I was a lot younger then...but, the pans have withstood the test of time. II have been very happy with them. Maybe because of the memory of my mom buying them for me. The total came to around $200. She did the same for my brother. Both of us are LC fans.
No wonder they are a treasure to you CWS!! There's nothing more precious or priceless than the love that went into that gift.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:12 PM   #43
Executive Chef

It's one of those things...once you own one and use it, after a while you really see its value
Old 03-30-2016, 07:41 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
It's one of those things...once you own one and use it, after a while you really see its value
That is absolutely true. It can take a number of uses before it becomes obvious why enamelled cast iron is so nice.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:33 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
For me it is a simple reason, because we can. Its our money and we can spend it as we wish. Not to mention it will last for generations. The Scanpan skillet we purchased ($300.00 with lid) several years ago has the best non-stick surface we have ever had. You can use metal utensils if you wish.
I have a $20 Wearever skillet that I've had for at least 15 years, also safe for use with metal utensils. I'm actually really shocked at how well the non-stick coating has held up, I'm not even that nice to it!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:58 AM   #46
Assistant Cook

I have both LC and Lodge and have used both for about 2 years. I find no difference in how they cook and clean. I took the plunge on the Lodge for 2 reasons, 1: I have used their cast iron for over 40 years and 2: I figured the worst thing that could happen is I could be out the ~$80 I paid for it. The lodge enamel has been wonderful and I now have a 6 and 7.8 quart ones.

As to the China, Apple products are considered bulletproof and hmmm, are made in China. I have spent 40 plus years in the manufacturing business and the Chinese will build what they are asked to. The can produce very high quality products if they are asked to.

Now, all being said, the interior of the LC in much smoother than the lodge but has a plastic handle.

Only time will tell which will last the longest and if the Lodge does not hold up, I'll get a LC and move on.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:34 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markf View Post
I have both LC and Lodge and have used both for about 2 years. I find no difference in how they cook and clean. I took the plunge on the Lodge for 2 reasons, 1: I have used their cast iron for over 40 years and 2: I figured the worst thing that could happen is I could be out the ~$80 I paid for it. The lodge enamel has been wonderful and I now have a 6 and 7.8 quart ones.

As to the China, Apple products are considered bulletproof and hmmm, are made in China. I have spent 40 plus years in the manufacturing business and the Chinese will build what they are asked to. The can produce very high quality products if they are asked to.

Now, all being said, the interior of the LC in much smoother than the lodge but has a plastic handle.

Only time will tell which will last the longest and if the Lodge does not hold up, I'll get a LC and move on.
Excellent point. Why didn't I think of that? So, basically, when a Western company starts having their manufacturing done in China and the quality goes down, it's because the company wanted cheap and asked for that.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:13 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Excellent point. Why didn't I think of that? So, basically, when a Western company starts having their manufacturing done in China and the quality goes down, it's because the company wanted cheap and asked for that.
+1 Sure, American companies want to give us their products that have become inferior to the quality we have relied on for years, and yet still charge a very high price for just the name.

If my memory serves me correct, a few years back, the foreman that ran a factory making baby formula for the Chinese infants was arrested, because they were producing a product that was killing the babies of China. And we should trust products from China because.........?
Old 04-23-2016, 10:30 PM   #49
Senior Cook

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal

There were also all those deaths of pets from contaminated gluten in pet foods. Even Blue Buffalo used the ingredient in their food and they have a top reputation and their food costs an arm and a leg.

On the other hand, folks have been poisoned by lead leaching from their water pipes here in the US, and the government turned a blind eye.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:10 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal

There were also all those deaths of pets from contaminated gluten in pet foods. Even Blue Buffalo used the ingredient in their food and they have a top reputation and their food costs an arm and a leg.

On the other hand, folks have been poisoned by lead leaching from their water pipes here in the US, and the government turned a blind eye.
Thanks for the link. Very interesting information. I knew that a couple of the folks had been put to death. I vaguely remember reading that the death penalty is carried out in China by a single bullet to the back of the head. The family is charged thirty-eight cents for the bullet. The gun a .38 caliber gun and the cost of the bullet comes to $.38 in American money. Weird information just floating around my skull.

Not only pet food, but sheet rock that we imported from China because our factories could not produce it fast enough. The Chinese factories placed asbestos, fiberglass, and other chemicals between the two pieces of paper. Today homes are being ripped apart so the sheet rock can be replaced. It is just one thing after another from China. I simply do not trust any product from there.