Le Creuset - Really?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not that Lodge is not a good quality. But Le Cruset is just totally on a different level. You know there a lot of good cars, but then there is Lexus and Mercedes. Can you justify paying for those cars?
There those things that are in the class of its own.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Again - I have never paid anywhere near full price for any of my Le Creuset pieces. They are available in outlet stores and places like TJ Maxx and Home Goods at a significant discount.

And I like pretty things :) They make me happy.

Exactly. My wife has a few pieces (mostly skillets and griddles) of LC and have acquired them piece by piece, over time, at huge discounts.....even way below outlet and sale prices. I think it makes her happy too.

Last edited:
I don't think anything with moving parts can be compared to the worth of any enameled cast iron pot. If LC is purchased because it makes one happy, that's fine by me but my no name has worked beautifully for several years, and I'd expect it to out live me. No LC at this stage of the game!

I have had LeCreuset since 1981. That is a LONG time. I did replace the DO (on the lifetime warranty). I love it for the ease of care. I also had to make provisions for it in my will. The lids fit perfectly. I have over 15 pieces, not counting lids. I also have Lodge CI and some SS pieces. I use the pan that fits the job. Somedays it is that big goose rooster oval DO pan. I was given my first LC as a gift, I got 4 extras at the time, the largest frying pan, the brazier (with lid that fits on the frying pan), and the lasagne pan. I have picked up pieces at thrift stores, yard sales, and at half-price. I have a racallete (sp) set that is LC. At today's prices, I'd have a hard time justifying the number of pieces I have. I like cooking in the LC better than stainless. Just my opinion, but I learned to cook using these pans.

I've probably already said this but my mother has a piece of LC that she received as a wedding gift in 1955. Its a bit nicked and has a few bare spots but is totally useable.

1981 is not that long ago!

35 years ago there was no internet, no personal computers, no cell phones, no DVDs or CDs.

Whether that's a long time ago or not is dependent on how old you are. I don't think it was a long time ago but I remember the Korean war on TV (in black and white).

Now I really feel old. I graduated in 1957. And I too remember watching the Korean War. We had a small screen TV with a large magnifying glass in front of it. You could pull it out to make the screen larger. I even remember Howdy Doody with Buffalo Bob. And to stay on subject, I never heard of Le Creuset. I do believe what we had for pots and pans are now found in museums. Although my mother did have her large CI. :angel:

This statement from the Lodge website would make me pause: "Our enameled cast iron is made to our strict specifications by our partner foundry in China." Given the poor track record for Chinese produced durable goods, a higher priced and higher quality item may be a better choice.

40 years ago, the same thing, and many more derogatory things, were said about Japanese products, as they flooded our markets with inferior goods. Now the average American thinks that Japanese made products are far superior to American made ones when in truth, most items, especially electronics are manufactured in China under license from Japanese companies and assembled in Japan.

For me it is a simple reason, because we can. Its our money and we can spend it as we wish. Not to mention it will last for generations. The Scanpan skillet we purchased ($300.00 with lid) several years ago has the best non-stick surface we have ever had. You can use metal utensils if you wish.

40 years ago, the same thing, and many more derogatory things, were said about Japanese products, as they flooded our markets with inferior goods...

Japan earned their reputation for superior quality through years of effort to erase their poor quality reputation. When China does the same, Americans' attitudes will change for them as well.

Remember the Subaru 360's? They were great little tiny cars with suicide doors but they were such nuisance on U.S. roads... They were hated by many....LOL...

Last edited:
1981 is not that long ago!
I was a lot younger then...but, the pans have withstood the test of time. II have been very happy with them. Maybe because of the memory of my mom buying them for me. The total came to around $200. She did the same for my brother. Both of us are LC fans.

Back
Top Bottom