"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 08-21-2008, 09:52 AM   #1
Angry Le Creuset Satin Finish Pans

I have one of these skillets. They are not like the normal enamel cast iron smooth finishes. It's a rough finish inside the pan. Why did LC do this? Did some designer lose his mind when he thought this would be a good idea? It's impossible to clean. From what I understand you are supposed to build up a seasoning on the surface of it. What in the world is the point of that!?!?!?! That's what I have my nice regular un-enameled cast iron pans for!! My only consolation is that I bought this pan 2nd hand and so I didn't invest a lot of money in it. What a dissappointment!!

VitaWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:30 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I believe the purpose of this style pan is in high heat cooking and searing. Also, the seasoning will just happen creating a surface that would eventually require very little oil/fat. The knob would need to be removed if you put this in the oven though. It actually sounds like a pretty versatile pan sans the knob. I think they are dishwasher safe which conflicts with my senses when it comes to seasoning these types of pans.

At least you didn't pay much for it. I think, with a little time, this may come to be a favorite. (How's that for positive thinking?)

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:28 AM   #3
Senior Cook
Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Ikea has the same type of pans, enameled black on the interior and Made in France for a fraction of the cost. I have no issue with the seasoning and cleaning -I don't use my dishwasher-, they work quite well. However, the dark inside doesn't help much when you want to check for food readiness or if the meat is cooked.
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are" Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote