Le Creuset stainless? Anyone have/use it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate stainless steel pans with a passion. Mine went to the thrift shop. The only things they were fit for was boiling veg. Anything else either burned or stuck. They weren't cheap either - top of the range in UK and a gift from relatives who had clubbed together to buy them!

Personally I'd stick with the Le Creuset cast iron. They work for everything and last forever (mine are 40 years old and do everything from boiling an egg to making toffee. If they aren't the ones with wooden handles you can even us them in the oven. Although they are not sold as non-stick I find I can cook anything in them (including scrambled eggs) and have no trouble getting them clean when it's washing-up time.

I hate stainless steel pans with a passion. Mine went to the thrift shop. The only things they were fit for was boiling veg. Anything else either burned or stuck. They weren't cheap either - top of the range in UK and a gift from relatives who had clubbed together to buy them!

Personally I'd stick with the Le Creuset cast iron. They work for everything and last forever (mine are 40 years old and do everything from boiling an egg to making toffee. If they aren't the ones with wooden handles you can even us them in the oven. Although they are not sold as non-stick I find I can cook anything in them (including scrambled eggs) and have no trouble getting them clean when it's washing-up time.

I like the idea of getting a cast iron skillet and a dutch oven. I'm not so sure about a set of cast iron saucepans and saute pans as I imagine them to be rather heavy, which will make cooking hard for my girlfriend. Also, they are a bit more expensive and I really do like the look of the stainless steel. I'm under the impression that a stainless steel pan that is used properly and seasoned will be just as slippery as a non-stick pan.

I like the idea of getting a cast iron skillet and a dutch oven. I'm not so sure about a set of cast iron saucepans and saute pans as I imagine them to be rather heavy, which will make cooking hard for my girlfriend. Also, they are a bit more expensive and I really do like the look of the stainless steel. I'm under the impression that a stainless steel pan that is used properly and seasoned will be just as slippery as a non-stick pan.
You pays your money and you takes your chance - as the saying goes.

You pays your money and you takes your chance - as the saying goes.

Yeah I guess so, though people seem to have had a lot of success with the All-Cladd stainless steel, so I don't see why the LC Steel should be much different.

What inventory of pots and pans do you have may I ask?

From the sounds of it a saute pan would suit my needs for cooking my large saucy meals that I leave to simmer for half hour or so. The annoying thing is that the largest stainless steel saute pan I can find is only 24cm diameter. That wont really be big enough so I am left with a choice between a 30cm non-stick drying pan or a 30cm stainless steel braiser. Both have about the same depth of 7-8cm, are oven safe and have a lid to fit.

You can use a Dutch oven for that purpose as well.

The pan I cook with most often is my 3.5-quart All-Clad sauté pan. I use it for searing meats, making pan sauces, braising things like chicken thighs, risotto, stir-fry, curry, etc. For something like chicken Parmesan, I can brown the chicken in it remove remove it to a plate and build the sauce. Then add the chicken back and finish in the oven. No problems with sticking because I typically deglaze whatever stuck and incorporate it into the sauce.

I also have a set of Calphalon stainless steel skillets and saucepans that I use for all kinds of things. I love them.

And I have three sizes of Le Creuset enameled cast iron Dutch ovens and a set of bare cast iron skillets. They all have their uses.

Last edited:
The pan I cook with most often is my 3.5-quart All-Clad sauté pan. I use it for searing meats, making pan sauces, braising things like chicken thighs, risotto, stir-fry, curry, etc. For something like chicken Parmesan, I can brown the chicken in it remove remove it to a plate and build the sauce. Then add the chicken back and finish in the oven. No problems with sticking because I typically deglaze whatever stuck and incorporate it into the sauce.

I also have a set of Calphalon stainless steel skillets and saucepans that I use for all kinds of things. I love them.

And I have three sizes of Le Creuset enameled cast iron Dutch ovens and a set of bare cast iron skillets. They all have their uses.

What is the diameter of your saute pan? The largest stainless steel saite pan that I can find here in the UK from a decent supplier is 24cm or about 2.5lts. I'm not sure what that is in quarts.

What is the diameter of your saute pan? The largest stainless steel saite pan that I can find here in the UK from a decent supplier is 24cm or about 2.5lts. I'm not sure what that is in quarts.
Almost 28cm. I also have a 3.5-quart Calphalon sauté pan (came with a set my husband gave me for Christmas one year) that is slightly narrower and deeper - 10.5 inches/26.67 cm. Since it's a little deeper, I use it for more saucy things, to help contain spattering.

Last edited:
My brother had both--the enamel cast iron and the SS Le Creuset. Love the SS pans that he had. I also love the enamel cast iron (mine and his).

I have so many LC pans, I've lost count. Dutch ovens, skillets, etc. A complete set of the SS thanks to my brother. The difference re: the SS and other SS pans I have, the weight. The Le Creuset are heavier and closer to what I would call restaurant quality.

Last edited:

I also prefer my Le Creuset cast iron to stainless skillets. I also have an 80-plus year old Griswold #8 that I use for certain special foods.

I wouldn't describe my Le Creuset skillets as "non-stick," as I still have to make proper use of fats if I don't want something to stick. But, they are really easy to clean.

My largest Le Creuset cast-iron skillet is very heavy. It will give your wrists and forearms a workout.

You are right that virtually any pan can be "non-stick" with the right use of fats. I just personally gave a slight edge to my cast iron over my stainless skillets.

I still think you are on the right track with the stainless sauce pan set you are leaning towards buying. The included non-stick skillet is a useful pan, too. I use stainless sauce pans, and have no desire to change that.

CD

Yeah I guess so, though people seem to have had a lot of success with the All-Cladd stainless steel, so I don't see why the LC Steel should be much different.

Agree! I think you would have a very hard time telling the difference between those two brands of stainless.

CD

You can use a Dutch oven for that purpose as well.

Yep! Simmering those saucy foods is another thing a dutch oven is good for. A dutch oven is a great multi-tasker. There are just so many meals you can cook in one.

CD

Bottom line, if I were you, I'd get that LC sauce pan set with the non-stick skillet that you like. I'd also invest in one LC dutch oven -- pick the size that fits your family size -- better too big than too small. I say "invest," because it will outlive you. Seriously, you will be dead before it is. Good cast iron cookware is something that gets passed down through generations. I have one cast iron skillet that is at least 80 years old.

CD

Bottom line, if I were you, I'd get that LC sauce pan set with the non-stick skillet that you like. I'd also invest in one LC dutch oven -- pick the size that fits your family size -- better too big than too small. I say "invest," because it will outlive you. Seriously, you will be dead before it is. Good cast iron cookware is something that gets passed down through generations. I have one cast iron skillet that is at least 80 years old.

CD
Totally agree. I have my Le Creuset pans and my brother's in my will. Our Mom bought us each a "starter set" back in the early '80s. My brother loved his so much that when he decided to add SS pans, he bought Le Creuset. My biggest Le Creuset DO is the largest size. It weighs a ton, but I love it.
Oval Dutch Oven | Le Creuset

.. I'd also invest in one LC dutch oven...
sam90, when checking out the Le Creuset dutch ovens, also look at Staub brand. I've had Le Creuset for decades. Just acquired a Staub a year ago. It is now my go-to pot. As nice as Le Creuset are, I wish I had found Staub sooner. Just a matter of personal preference, but I do plan on adding more Staub cookware to my inventory in the future.

Back
Top Bottom