"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Le Creuset stainless? Anyone have/use it?

I have been saving quite a while to buy nice cookware, and am definitely set on Le Creuset for a select few cast-iron pieces. However, I also need some "everyday" stainless pieces as well, and see LC has a tri-ply stainless line. Since they are comparable in price to other higher-end stainless brands, I am considering just ordering those from LC too. I am wondering if they are suitable for "heavy" use as everyday cookware? As in- will they hold up to a good deal of use & abuse and last as long as the cast iron? I currently have the most basic, cheap plastic-handled Farberware pots and pans for everyday and after 7 years of hard use, the handles are shot. I need an 8 and 9" frying pan, and a 2qt & 4qt sauce pot in stainless to beat up on a daily basis, so I can baby the cast iron and my much loved vintage enamelware collection

Your experiences and opinions are appreciated!

Old 02-08-2017, 11:18 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

Hi Kiwibird,

I was just wondering if you ever purchased and of the Le Creuset 3-Ply Stainless Steel pans? I'm also looking to purchase some of these pans but reliable reviews are hard to come by.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:37 AM   #3
Wine Guy

I have two LC stainless skillets. The quality is every bit as good as All-Clad, in my opinion. Plus the handles are much more comfortable.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:40 AM   #4
Master Chef

Look at the prices for All Clad seconds at Cookware and More

If they are cheaper that's what Id go for.

I bought cosmetic seconds 20 years ago and they look and perform like brand new
Old 02-08-2017, 11:40 AM   #5
Master Chef

Welcome to DC! Just to give you a heads up, kiwibird hasn't visited this forum since 2-15-14. We have All Clad pots and skillets.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Oh thanks for the info. I live in the UK so All-Clad isn't really an option as it is more than double the price of any LC.

Are your stainless skillets non-stick or un-coated. The Stainless range includes both non-stick and un-coated skillets here in the UK.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:02 PM   #7
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam90 View Post
Oh thanks for the info. I live in the UK so All-Clad isn't really an option as it is more than double the price of any LC.

Are your stainless skillets non-stick or un-coated. The Stainless range includes both non-stick and un-coated skillets here in the UK.
My Le Creuset stainless skillets are not non-stick. They look like this:

Old 02-08-2017, 12:59 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

They're similar to the Ines I am looking for. However in the U.K. I think the largest size they do in the SS is 24cm. Any larger, such as the 30cm skillet only comes in non stick.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:10 PM   #9
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam90 View Post
They're similar to the Ines I am looking for. However in the U.K. I think the largest size they do in the SS is 24cm. Any larger, such as the 30cm skillet only comes in non stick.
That's not a very large skillet. The larger of the two I own is 28cm. I know they also make a 30cm - or at least they did at the time I purchased mine. Perhaps it's been discontinued.

As I said, I like my pans a lot, even though I don't actually use them very often. For day-to-day frying, I've come to prefer my carbon steel skillets. However, if I'm cooking something acidic (wine, tomatoes) the stainless is my "go to" cookware. These Le Creuset tri-ply pans are excellent quality, and, offhand, I can't come up with a single bad thing to say about them.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:20 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

I tend to cook a lot of acid foods, its pasta and tomato every other day most weeks. Would a skillet like that be ideal for cooking pasta sauces, ragu and resotto in, or should I got for more of a brasier or large saucepan?