"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 11-30-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
Cook

Le Creuset worth the $?

I am considering a LeCreuset Dutch Oven are they worth the $ or should I stick to cast iron?
Thanks!

Mike

Old 11-30-2008, 10:20 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

LC IS cast iron. It just enameled. I absolutely love my LC dutch oven and do not regret spending a small fortune on it. It performs beautifully every time. You can do just about everything you want in a non enameled cast iron dutch oven though so if you want to save some $ then you can. LC is great stuff though.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
Sous Chef

IMO Le Creuset are fantastic cookware and absolutely worth the $$

However I think they make way too many pieces and many are unnecessary I I dont see much of a need beyond 2 maybe 3 sizes of DO.

There are many less expensive enameled CI pans out there.... I have looked at these often and generally dont like the way they are designed and finished quite as well as LC.... still they will do a fine job and are decent substitutes if budget is a concern (which it is for me)

While some things can be done equally well in an enameled CI and a well seasoned raw CI dutch oven (a chicken or roast for example) they are not really apples to apples. The enameled CI is great for high acidity dishes such as tomato sauce or for things that are very sticky like a fruit compote that may not be appropriate for a raw CI pan.

also if you are looking at raw CI dutch ovens I would absolutley NOT buy new. The new ones are rough and will be difficult to get the smooth non stick finish.... buy vintage on this (it will not be expensive but you may have some elbow grease to get it cleaned and seasoned) and you will be much happier for years to come.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:07 AM   #4
Cook

I appreciate the insight to enameled vs raw cast iron. Now I best go after the post on Craig's List to see if that piece is still there.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:08 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Love, love, love my LC cookware. Have two oval Dutch ovens. One really large one and a smaller one. Also have a small skillet on got on eBay for 99 cents. Wouldn't trade my LC for anything. I also have plenty of non-enameled cast iron, which I love dearly, too, just for different reasons. Go for it!
Old 11-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
Master Chef

Hey porthand... here is a thread I started when I bought my first DO. I about fell off my rocker when I saw how much these things could be. May be some info for you.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
Head Chef

With only 2 or 3 exceptions all of my cookware is cast iron - both Lodge and LeCreuset. I love this stuff and LC is definitely worth the price. I have 3 sizes of dutch ovens in LC but I use them for differenct purposes. If I had to have only one it would be the 4 quart because that's the one I use the most. My 7 quart LC DO is used for huge batches of chili or spaghetti sauce. The casserole dishes, skillets, sauce pans are awesome. I even have a set of LC escargot plates that hold 6 snails each. You can put those plates under the broiler and they hold the heat forever.

Go for it, you won't be sorry.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
Head Chef

I love my LC dutch oven - I got it brand new on ebay about 2 years ago for $80 (it is a 5 quart, well over $200 in the stores). So don't forget to check out ebay too.

I wanted one for years and I LOVE IT. I use it all the time -
Old 11-30-2008, 12:46 PM   #9
Master Chef

Yep, I'm about to try out the NYT bread in mine!!!!!
Old 11-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #10
Cook

Sattie, NYT bread? Inquiring minds want to know.