"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
Cook

Le Cuistot cookware

Anyone used this stuff? The Le Cuistot cast iron enamel stuff is pretty cheap compared to the other LC brand and Ive read a few good reviews, but no real website and staggering price difference makes me nervous. Too good to be true?

Old 01-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
Cook

LC

Slett: I haven't heard of Le Cuistot. Recently, though, after some research, I purchased a 6-1/2 quart Dutch oven from Lodge. Got it at my local Target, and it was much less expensive than Le Creuset. I've been thrilled with it so far...no rust, no chipping of the enamel coating, etc. Good luck with research.

p.s. -- My dutch oven is a bright, handsome red I chose to accompany a few pieces of Le Creuset that I selected from among 25-year service anniversary gifts at my former company. I've loved it, and it's great for oven-to-table.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Cook

Note on Lodge Enameled Cast Iron/Made in /China

Forgot to note that, in case it's a concern, the Lodge Dutch oven is made in China (I think). I'd rather it had been made here, but this factor didn't keep me from purchasing it, with the good reputation and great price point.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
Head Chef

I'm guessing Le Cuistot is just one of several brandings of inexpensive enameled cast iron.
ORLY GLOBAL TRADING INC., JOSEF STRAUSS

Orly Global buys enameled cast aluminum pieces and other kitchen goods from China. I don't find bills of lading for the cast iron, but I find none from anywhere other than China. My impression from Amazon is that it's overpriced, in that it could be sold profitably for a lot less, and you can find as good for a lot less.

I bought a no-name Dutch oven (as in no branding or sourcing at all on the illustrated box) in the grocery store for $20. Works just fine. Released during deglazing, etc. There's nothing additional for an expensive brand to do better.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I go to Amazon, type in the name of the product and look at the reviews. It is quite telling.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

I set out to buy new Dutch oven today and it was either Kirkland brand from Costco, or Le Cuistot from Kitchen supply plus.
I checked them out, since stores were right next to each other.
Le Cuistot I was getting a feeling that it was not as detailed in production as Kirkland brand.
Kirkland said Made in France, but Le Cuistot said Made in PRC if I remember correctly, had no clue what PRC was, but getting their name so close to Le Creuset and not stating clearly where it was made made me think of bad selling techniques and I went straight to Costco.
Whatever happens, Costco has my back and will take it back gladly, and Le Cuistot in my mind is pulling bad selling techniques, don't try to get sales leaching from other well known brand, and is it so hard to write which country it was made in.
Just my 0.2 cents.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyopl View Post
I set out to buy new Dutch oven today and it was either Kirkland brand from Costco, or Le Cuistot from Kitchen supply plus.
Le Cuistot I was getting a feeling that it was not as detailed in production as Kirkland brand.
Kirkland said Made in France, but Le Cuistot said Made in PRC if I remember correctly, had no clue what PRC was, but getting their name so close to Le Creuset and not stating clearly where it was made made me think of bad selling techniques and I went straight to Costco.
Whatever happens, Costco has my back and will take it back gladly, and Le Cuistot in my mind is pulling bad selling techniques, don't try to get sales leaching from other well known brand, and is it so hard to write which country it was made in.
Just my 0.2 cents.
People's Republic of China
Old 02-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

PRC = Peoples Republic of China.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Ah, makes me even happier for going with Kirkland, very fishy to try to hide where it was made with PRC shortcut.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyopl
Just my 0.2 cents.
We're the 2 products similar in price?

Tags
cookware