Locking up the good stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
I am getting paranoid or does anyone else keep their good pans and knives and such locked so they don't have to fight the urge to do their significant other bodily harm?

Makes perfect sense to me ... assuming you WANT your SO to become interested in cooking and become a better cook ... so you don't take the time to teach them and lock up the good stuff ... leaving them only the crappy stuff you wouldn't cook with. Yeah buddy, that will help the situation! Like Ironchef said .. are you serious????

Michael in FtW said:
Makes perfect sense to me ... assuming you WANT your SO to become interested in cooking and become a better cook ... so you don't take the time to teach them and lock up the good stuff ... leaving them only the crappy stuff you wouldn't cook with. Yeah buddy, that will help the situation! Like Ironchef said .. are you serious????

LOL Mike I actually read it a little bit different. I read it as significant other being wife, gf, etc.

My SO, significant other, wife, is the better cook but she is also 10 yrs younger then me, extremely... hard headed, routinely grabs at whatever is closest to do the job, and then throws it in the sink when finished. She also tries to do everything with minimal effort and maximum speed.
So wood handled knives wind up in the bottom of a muck and water filled sink, eggs get cooked in a anolon pan with a metal spatula cause she can't (well dosen't put forth the effort to ) get under them with a rubber or teflon one,( I tried hiding them) and while we have pretty full sets of anolon, SS and cast iron pans, cast iron gets pretty much ruled out because of weight ( she remarked over the weekend, you never let me make cornbread in your cast iron pans, i just looked at her) and between anolon and SS it comes down to which ever she can reach first, so stuff that is prone to stick gets SS and stuff that wouldn't stick if you put glue in it winds up in anolon. My wife is also prone to putting stuff in the oven or on the stove top and then going off to do something else. Occasionally resulting in a thoroughly blackened pot or a oven that stays on all day.
Therefore....
As I consider getting rid of the Ultrex II that my MIL gave us as a wedding present and she said to me about it... I know my child, because, it's pretty well scraped and I am currently trying to find a 12" anolon to match the one I have, (got about 5-6 house guest for the weekend and I will wind up making eggs, pancakes and waffles at ounce/ she likes eggs and I like pancakes on a regular, 2 pans will make breakfast go faster)...
And took my pan to my chef friend who was going trolling for such things yesterday, she looked at my pan and was like EGADS! (not that word, but close enough) She then remarked about how eventually it would peel and how I really should be cooking eggs in a 4" or 6" pan that is reserved for nothing but eggs. To which I replied, no matter how I set out to cook eggs, most of the time they wind up scrambled. To which she replied if I had a decent egg pan it would be a lot easier. Anyway after all of this back and forth I determined that I would get a decent anolon 12" cause I just love that pan and a egg pan and when my wife finally tells me that I need to stop using metal utensils in the non sticks I would let her use the good ones.
That may well take her seeing a couple of nice new looking pans that she can't get too, while seeing bits of pan in her food, or food sticking in the cracks of a pan she has scraped up.
Mind you, she didn't appreciate the non stick qualities of anolon, until she used some walmart non stick over the weekend.

i just surrendered my last piece of emerilware for my wife to destroy. somehow, she's been able to ruin the non-stick coating of 2 sets of emerilware. (yes, 2 sets. i bought dw a set when we were dating. i figured she might enjoy learning how to cook if she had good equipment. lol, i ended up learning. but, i liked it so much, being the first set of decent cookware that i've ever used that i bought my own set. that was a mistake)

she destroyed the original set, and i've been trying to keep her from ruining mine, er, our other set. (still getting used to the "hers is hers -- mine is ours/hers" dealio). fortunately, i can still keep her from using my stuff, if i just put something heavy enough on top of it that she can't move...:devilish:

that didn't work with my cats tho... (j/k)

alas, my emerilware has heard the fat lady sing. so it's off to a restaurant supply store in the near future for new pots and pans, all stainless steel this time around.

and as far as weaponry goes, the reason we don't have hand guns in our house is for fear of being the target.

Certain things don't get cleaned by other members of my household. These include; my wok, stainless steel pan, cast iron grill pan and chef's knife.

I very rarely do any of the dishwashing at home (I cook, I don't clean), but those things I take care of as I don't want anyone taking accidently taking dishwashing liquid and/or steel wool to them. Most of the time I do most of the cleaning before I sit down to eat as it is easiest that way. Plus there is the added task of seasoning and sharpening when needed.

DH occasionally helps out with the dishes but it always seems to be when I'm not around and ultimately my cutting board or cast iron skillet always end up being found in the bottom of mucky water when I return. So needless to say I wasn't happy with a warped cutting board or a rusty skillet, however, he did try to help out so I just calmly explained why he couldn't do that. Did it work..............NO! The bugger did the same thing to my cast iron the other day.......so I had to scour and reseaon the thing all over. I've learnt to immed. clean my cutting board so he doesn't ruin another.

My husband is great about taking care of the pots and pans. He bought most of them, so he knows how much they cost, and he reads all the instructions about how to use and clean them. He does a lot of cooking, and even does a decent job of cleaning up after himself, except for wiping up, polishing, and putting things away. I figure that's the least I can do.

Villasman, why not buy your wife a set of pots, pans and knives of her own?? Let her pick out the ones she wants then lock yours away. If she ruins hers that 's a lesson learned. She won't make that same mistake twice. Maybe having her own set will give her the incentive to take proper care of them. Just a thought.:rolleyes:

Well, right now we are having a test, she has 5 girlfriends over with 2 of their kids for the weekend. I have a refridgerator and 2 coolers full of food, in various stages of preparation. I wrote her and email 3 days ago detailing what could go in the dishwasher adn what couldn't and i showed her the instruction book for the food processor where it shows how to put it together.

She's been concious of what pots to use where, and she waited till I got home to process the foods, and i have washed about 7 loads of dishes in the last 18hrs or so in the dishwasher and gone through about 10 sinks of dish water. It's a pretty big sink, and we are using plastic plates. Go figure.
And tomorrow morning I have to make waffles.

The things we do....

Oh yeah, as a part of the ritual that this group of girlfriends goes through, the new person, is supposed to cook the rest of them a meal. i was suprised to here my wife say " I aint letting her cook in my kitchen with all my nice stuff and I don't know what here level of skills is. I have to much nice stuff to let her come in and break it up."

Now mind you, when I am buying it, You didnt need to get that, why did you spend that, I was going to do this that and the other. Yesterday she was in hog heaven, one of her friends was over,with the 6 qt baking cakes , the food porcessor doing it's thing, the blender doing it's thing, The braun whipping cream and pureeing pineapple, and me in the center of it all washing dishes in waves.

As for buying her her own set, bow that she is learning to appreciate having good non sticks and heavy SS... as she burns and scratches it up if she continues to burn and scratch it, it's another excuse to go shopping :)

I wont let my husband use any of my pots, pans or cast iron skillets!!!!! He cracked one of my big cast iron skillets (had been in my family for many years) some years ago; I was the one working outside the home then. I have no idea what he did to do that. Most of my cast iron has been passed down for many generations and are just as good as new. I don't even let him make a pot of coffee unless I'm not home. If I have to go somewhere, I cook up stuff that he likes to eat that can be frozen. That way all he has to do is take it out of the freezer or fridge and nuke it. There is one little skillet he is allowed to use for his eggs but nothing else.

Shunka said:
I wont let my husband use any of my pots, pans or cast iron skillets!!!!! He cracked one of my big cast iron skillets (had been in my family for many years) some years ago; I was the one working outside the home then. I have no idea what he did to do that. Most of my cast iron has been passed down for many generations and are just as good as new. I don't even let him make a pot of coffee unless I'm not home. If I have to go somewhere, I cook up stuff that he likes to eat that can be frozen. That way all he has to do is take it out of the freezer or fridge and nuke it. There is one little skillet he is allowed to use for his eggs but nothing else.

Well it looks like his plan worked. "All I have to do is break something in the kitchen and she'll never let me do anything again. Brilliant!"

Works every time. :-p

:ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: I hear ya!!! The thing is that he thinks he is a decent cook...............if you close your eyes and hold your nose that is, LOL!!!:ROFLMAO:

Shunka said:
:ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: I hear ya!!! The thing is that he thinks he is a decent cook...............if you close your eyes and hold your nose that is, LOL!!!:ROFLMAO:

Maybe he just needs a little practice and a gentle guiding hand...

Well, I have tried that but he goes off on these very wild tangents (to cooking) that ends up like his dancing. We landed in a pool for goodness sakes! due to his improvising wild steps. Oh well, I love to cook and with him being a truck driver, I cook up lots to freeze so that he can take it on the road with him. He does manage to use his couple of little cookers well to heat up things!! I am already planning different dishes to make ahead of time for him when I am gone for a week in Aug. to go to a concert and visit daughters and grandsons.

Back
Top Bottom