Lodge Cast Iron Dutch Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh that does sound really great. I have a Lodge Skillet, which I adore. I am excited to add the dutch oven to 'cookware I adore' list.

Very tempted to make an excuse to go down to Georgia.

I never have made a split pea soup with turkey, but I have a dutch oven, and I have a stovetop smoker to smoke a turkey leg. This might be a recipe for the larger kitchen, after my move on 10/1 but it is definately in the consideration.

TBS

You might have to change your travel itinerary. I misspoke. The outlet was in South Pittsburg, Tennessee. Still I think you could make an argument for going there to enjoy the Cornbread Festival and camp at the state park. See? Isn't rationalization a beautiful thing?

You have a stovetop smoker, too? I've had ours for almost 20 years and love it. One of the yummiest things we make using it is smoked salmon Caesar salad. Omigosh, so good!

Yeah, I think I have them under observation, and we have hit Great Smokey from the NC end, went in from Cherokee NC, and did some backpacking. It is a great big arse park, we love it. Circle in from the north and hit the park from the Tennessee side eh? I think that sounds like a plan, particularly if I could get a loaf or muffin pan out of it.

Cheers,

TBS

One of the yummiest things we make using it is smoked salmon Caesar salad. Omigosh, so good!

Now what you need to do is just a bit before the salmon is done smoking, smoke a bit of blue cheese.

if you are making a smoked salmon ceaser salad with a stovetop smoker, obviously you are my long lost twin sister that was kidnapped...I'll inform Mom you are OK ;)

Liz, Lodge actually has issued (at least) two of their own cookbooks. Lots of recipes to make collecting Lodge a practical vice. ;)

The reviews from "TheKitchn" for the books are here and here. Enjoy, but don't drool. You might short out the keyboard. :-p

OMG... I want a smoker!!! but how do you rationalize that for a single overweight person that even the neighbours pretend they're not home when they see me coming up the lane with a casserole in my arms..

"Oh no! it's our crazy neighbour cooking again, we love her but egads and lil'fishes there's a limit! We still have not finished off Sunday's casserole! Quick, close the curtains and be very very quiet."

and now you tell me there is a stove top version where I could just do a turkey leg or somewhat???? oh my aching arteries!
img_1480551_0_97f8c85b6b2c985dd6dfc6bb9799c463.gif

OK - looked it up and found this... I can make one with what I have in the kitchen... whooppeeeeeeee! (I think)

this is where I went... VIDEO: How to Make a Stovetop Smoker | SAVEUR

is it reasonable? can I use regular wood chip from a BBQ if I break them up a bit? Do I need to soak them?

I'm not sure because the wood chips used in my stovetop smoker are quite small, almost like sawdust or small shavings. And, no, I've never had to soak them.

The process for smoking on the stove is somewhat different than traditional outdoor smoking.

The instructions provided by Saveur describe the assembly of a stovetop smoker pretty accurately:

- base unit, mine is about the size of a 9- x 13-inch pan, holds the wood chips
- cover/drip tray that fits directly over the base pan
- rack for holding the food to be smoked
- slide-on lid to seal the smoker during smoking and/or oven-cooking

Look at this to see how it goes together. Ours is a Camerons one and, surprisingly, the price has been the same since we got ours. It was a gift, but the price hasn't changed, if that means anything to anyone.

In any case, whether or not you create one yourself or purchase one, you'll need some wood chips, which are pretty easy to come by. If you can't find them in your area, there's always good old Amazon.

Whenever I smoke something that doesn't allow the lid to go on, such as a large pork butt, I use heavy-duty foil and seal the edges firmly.

A cameron stovetop smoker is not that expensive, I think it is what Katie H uses. I have one myself and adore it.

You can get chips for it, I use sawdust and cut wood from our woodlot. One has to be VERY CAREFUL not to use chips from any wood that has been treated in any way. the idea of the smoker is to concentrate the aroma of wood in cooking, and you can just as soon concentrate DEADLY POISON. I on my stove top smoker use only official smoker qualified wood chips, or sawdust from a tree I have cut down myself.

I actually think I'll post separate; if you will follow me to another thread? A smoked beet salad that is a little unconventional, but usually gets rave reviews.

TBS

I have many cast iron products. All are Lodge Brand. They are my go to cookware. My DD got me this for Christmas a few years ago. I love it! 5 Quart Dutch oven (is this the one you have? or do you have the regular self basting lid with the spikes on the underside?) The lid/skillet that came with it is dedicated to corn bread baking. I use the self basting lid from my 10.25" skillet for my Dutch oven as they are the same size and the self basting lid is great for pot roast, stew etc. (My most used skillet is my 13.25" with lid)

img_1480661_0_8aaabd0df9ed19c80995aff8e78e40eb.jpg

img_1480661_1_7e5afba4a2383fce818abd0de92489ee.jpg

I have my eyes on these 2 beauties:

Both Lodge brand enameled Caribbean Blue (LOVE the color)

3 Quart covered casserole

img_1480661_2_18cd2ede0661bbc7c8171dbecf39d333.jpg

7.5 Quart Dutch oven

img_1480661_3_f3ea976c477ee4dde2f6b0d4f40c45b4.jpg

Last edited:
I have had my eye on several stove top smokers but haven't gotten one yet.

msmofet;1480661is this the one you have? or do you have the regular self basting lid with the spikes on the underside?) [/QUOTE said:
I've got the self basting lid, we already have a 10" skillet, so the combo wasn't necessary. Beloved Wife did an excellent job of picking the right one.

Also, to ALL, if you are even CONSIDERING a stovetop smoker, do it, like now.

Completely worth your while, for serious. I have a large Cameron's and it is a life changer, I don't use it everyday, but I do at least once every other week, and the flavors you get from it are exceptional. I, in fact, usually break it out when I have a dinner party. And vegetables in the smoker? It isn't only for meat. Smoked beets are a favorite, or I smoke onions and peppers before putting them in chili.

You do, if you live in apartment like we do, and have a stove hood that doesn't vent to the outside, kind of have to train the immediate neighbors not to panic about the smoky smell. I have had the fire department called.

TBS

I've got the self basting lid, we already have a 10" skillet, so the combo wasn't necessary. Beloved Wife did an excellent job of picking the right one.

Also, to ALL, if you are even CONSIDERING a stovetop smoker, do it, like now.

Completely worth your while, for serious. I have a large Cameron's and it is a life changer, I don't use it everyday, but I do at least once every other week, and the flavors you get from it are exceptional. I, in fact, usually break it out when I have a dinner party. And vegetables in the smoker? It isn't only for meat. Smoked beets are a favorite, or I smoke onions and peppers before putting them in chili.

You do, if you live in apartment like we do, and have a stove hood that doesn't vent to the outside, kind of have to train the immediate neighbors not to panic about the smoky smell. I have had the fire department called.

TBS
They only had combos with self basting lid or with the skillet/lid. I got the one with skillet lid because it is perfect for corn bread. I wanted it to just use for corn bread so no other flavors would be added to the corn bread.

They only had combos with self basting lid or with the skillet/lid. I got the one with skillet lid because it is perfect for corn bread. I wanted it to just use for corn bread so no other flavors would be added to the corn bread.

In all the time I've been cooking with cast iron, I've never had it transfer flavors to other dishes. Never even thought this might happen.

In all the time I've been cooking with cast iron, I've never had it transfer flavors to other dishes. Never even thought this might happen.

Yeah same, I mean I consider my cast iron the bombproof awesome of cookware, pretty much indestructible, nothing can touch it, it will laugh at your shenanigans, and if you get a spot of rust, you just hit it with some steel wool, grease it up with crisco, and go another round.

I can understand, though, having a specific skillet for cornbread if you make it alot. I have a mixing bowl I just use for omelets, for no real reason. It is just what that bowl is for. When I was dating Beloved Wife, she once used it for cereal, and I was all sputtering... you're eating cereal? In the omelette bowl? How can this be happening?

TBS

I made an apple crisp dessert in my skillet once and everything I cooked for awhile had an apple crisp sweet "ghost" flavor. I have also had taco flavors take a couple cooks to disappear. Not sure why but flavors do transfer for me. I kind of like when bacon flavor transfers LOL. After I wash the pan with hot water and put over heat to dry it I can usually smell whatever was cooked in it. I lightly coat hot pan with blue label Crisco and wipe several times to remove any excess oil before storing. No clue why but my family can also pick up flavors from past cook.

Last edited:
msmofet;1480677 No clue why but my family can also pick up flavors from past cook.[/QUOTE said:
I think different people have different sensibility to ported flavors. I can believe that it picks up flavor, so I can totally see the idea of having a separate pan for cornbread.

I for instance never clean my teapot with anything other than hot water, I think it has a little taste of every tea that has been brewed in it, and makes my cup better.

As Alfred Tennyson says, 'All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that undiscovered world who's margin fades, forever and ever as I move'

So for me, mayhaps I ignore flavors retained, just considering it seasoning and all.

TBS

I was told to never use soap to wash the cast iron...

used my little 6" to cook an egg for my sister and she immediately said "this tastes like hamburger with Lawry's Seasoning Salt"

:ermm::ohmy::( she was right...

I wash them ALL with soap - just never soak them - I do not lose the "seasoning" of them.

Foxy - no English man, Australian, New Zealander, etc... would EVER wash a teapot with soap!!! That is sacrilege!!!! Hot water only!

Now there is something I haven't made in a while. I don't think I've ever made one without ham, so goodness I haven't made split pea soup since before I was married (Jewish wife, no ham). So given we are coming up on our three year anniversary, It must be three years or more.

I suspect chicken would work, anyone have a no ham split pea soup recipe handy?

Cheers,

TBS

When we have a ham for a holiday dinner, the bone, with plenty of meat still hanging on, becomes either split pea soup or white beans and ham, depending on whether it's me (split pea) or my wife (white bean) that gets to it first.

Beef short ribs....my favorite slow cooked meat:yum:

I love short ribs, but they have become so expensive that I usually use bone in chuck instead, but with the same braising ingredients and technique.

Foxy - no English man, Australian, New Zealander, etc... would EVER wash a teapot with soap!!! That is sacrilege!!!! Hot water only!

I concur, it is quite the sacrilege. I have a twelve cup Chatsford pot who is named Big Joe. I kind of fooled about with 8 cup teapots before I was married, but Beloved Wife and I mainly drink a twelve pot at a time.

Upton tea is BTW working on recreating the Chatsford teapots from the 80's if you don't have one you might want to keep an eye on them.

They have hired some good ceramics folks.

TBS

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom