"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 09-18-2016, 06:54 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
Oh that does sound really great. I have a Lodge Skillet, which I adore. I am excited to add the dutch oven to 'cookware I adore' list.

Very tempted to make an excuse to go down to Georgia.

I never have made a split pea soup with turkey, but I have a dutch oven, and I have a stovetop smoker to smoke a turkey leg. This might be a recipe for the larger kitchen, after my move on 10/1 but it is definately in the consideration.

TBS
You might have to change your travel itinerary. I misspoke. The outlet was in South Pittsburg, Tennessee. Still I think you could make an argument for going there to enjoy the Cornbread Festival and camp at the state park. See? Isn't rationalization a beautiful thing?

You have a stovetop smoker, too? I've had ours for almost 20 years and love it. One of the yummiest things we make using it is smoked salmon Caesar salad. Omigosh, so good!

Old 09-18-2016, 06:57 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Yeah, I think I have them under observation, and we have hit Great Smokey from the NC end, went in from Cherokee NC, and did some backpacking. It is a great big arse park, we love it. Circle in from the north and hit the park from the Tennessee side eh? I think that sounds like a plan, particularly if I could get a loaf or muffin pan out of it.

Cheers,

TBS

Old 09-18-2016, 07:03 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
One of the yummiest things we make using it is smoked salmon Caesar salad. Omigosh, so good!
Now what you need to do is just a bit before the salmon is done smoking, smoke a bit of blue cheese.

if you are making a smoked salmon ceaser salad with a stovetop smoker, obviously you are my long lost twin sister that was kidnapped...I'll inform Mom you are OK ;)
Old 09-18-2016, 07:28 PM   #24
Master Chef

Liz, Lodge actually has issued (at least) two of their own cookbooks. Lots of recipes to make collecting Lodge a practical vice.

The reviews from "TheKitchn" for the books are here and here. Enjoy, but don't drool. You might short out the keyboard.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:41 PM   #25
Head Chef

OMG... I want a smoker!!! but how do you rationalize that for a single overweight person that even the neighbours pretend they're not home when they see me coming up the lane with a casserole in my arms..

"Oh no! it's our crazy neighbour cooking again, we love her but egads and lil'fishes there's a limit! We still have not finished off Sunday's casserole! Quick, close the curtains and be very very quiet."

and now you tell me there is a stove top version where I could just do a turkey leg or somewhat???? oh my aching arteries!
Old 09-18-2016, 07:52 PM   #26
Head Chef

OK - looked it up and found this... I can make one with what I have in the kitchen... whooppeeeeeeee! (I think)

this is where I went... VIDEO: How to Make a Stovetop Smoker | SAVEUR

is it reasonable? can I use regular wood chip from a BBQ if I break them up a bit? Do I need to soak them?
Old 09-18-2016, 08:16 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
OK - looked it up and found this... I can make one with what I have in the kitchen... whooppeeeeeeee! (I think)

this is where I went... VIDEO: How to Make a Stovetop Smoker | SAVEUR

is it reasonable? can I use regular wood chip from a BBQ if I break them up a bit? Do I need to soak them?
I'm not sure because the wood chips used in my stovetop smoker are quite small, almost like sawdust or small shavings. And, no, I've never had to soak them.

The process for smoking on the stove is somewhat different than traditional outdoor smoking.

The instructions provided by Saveur describe the assembly of a stovetop smoker pretty accurately:

- base unit, mine is about the size of a 9- x 13-inch pan, holds the wood chips
- cover/drip tray that fits directly over the base pan
- rack for holding the food to be smoked
- slide-on lid to seal the smoker during smoking and/or oven-cooking

Look at this to see how it goes together. Ours is a Camerons one and, surprisingly, the price has been the same since we got ours. It was a gift, but the price hasn't changed, if that means anything to anyone.

In any case, whether or not you create one yourself or purchase one, you'll need some wood chips, which are pretty easy to come by. If you can't find them in your area, there's always good old Amazon.

Whenever I smoke something that doesn't allow the lid to go on, such as a large pork butt, I use heavy-duty foil and seal the edges firmly.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:23 PM   #28
Senior Cook

A cameron stovetop smoker is not that expensive, I think it is what Katie H uses. I have one myself and adore it.

You can get chips for it, I use sawdust and cut wood from our woodlot. One has to be VERY CAREFUL not to use chips from any wood that has been treated in any way. the idea of the smoker is to concentrate the aroma of wood in cooking, and you can just as soon concentrate DEADLY POISON. I on my stove top smoker use only official smoker qualified wood chips, or sawdust from a tree I have cut down myself.

I actually think I'll post separate; if you will follow me to another thread? A smoked beet salad that is a little unconventional, but usually gets rave reviews.

TBS
Old 09-19-2016, 07:21 PM   #29
Master Chef

I have many cast iron products. All are Lodge Brand. They are my go to cookware. My DD got me this for Christmas a few years ago. I love it! 5 Quart Dutch oven (is this the one you have? or do you have the regular self basting lid with the spikes on the underside?) The lid/skillet that came with it is dedicated to corn bread baking. I use the self basting lid from my 10.25" skillet for my Dutch oven as they are the same size and the self basting lid is great for pot roast, stew etc. (My most used skillet is my 13.25" with lid)

I have my eyes on these 2 beauties:

Both Lodge brand enameled Caribbean Blue (LOVE the color)

3 Quart covered casserole

7.5 Quart Dutch oven

Old 09-19-2016, 07:28 PM   #30
Master Chef

I have had my eye on several stove top smokers but haven't gotten one yet.

Tags
cast iron, dutch oven, oven