"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 09-19-2016, 07:30 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I have had my eye on several stove top smokers but haven't gotten one yet.
I love our Camerons one, even have the smaller version, which comes in handy for cheeses or small quantities of veggies since it's just the two of us.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:30 PM   #32
Senior Cook

[QUOTE=msmofet;1480661is this the one you have? or do you have the regular self basting lid with the spikes on the underside?) [/QUOTE]

I've got the self basting lid, we already have a 10" skillet, so the combo wasn't necessary. Beloved Wife did an excellent job of picking the right one.

Also, to ALL, if you are even CONSIDERING a stovetop smoker, do it, like now.

Completely worth your while, for serious. I have a large Cameron's and it is a life changer, I don't use it everyday, but I do at least once every other week, and the flavors you get from it are exceptional. I, in fact, usually break it out when I have a dinner party. And vegetables in the smoker? It isn't only for meat. Smoked beets are a favorite, or I smoke onions and peppers before putting them in chili.

You do, if you live in apartment like we do, and have a stove hood that doesn't vent to the outside, kind of have to train the immediate neighbors not to panic about the smoky smell. I have had the fire department called.

TBS

Old 09-19-2016, 08:36 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
I've got the self basting lid, we already have a 10" skillet, so the combo wasn't necessary. Beloved Wife did an excellent job of picking the right one.

Also, to ALL, if you are even CONSIDERING a stovetop smoker, do it, like now.

Completely worth your while, for serious. I have a large Cameron's and it is a life changer, I don't use it everyday, but I do at least once every other week, and the flavors you get from it are exceptional. I, in fact, usually break it out when I have a dinner party. And vegetables in the smoker? It isn't only for meat. Smoked beets are a favorite, or I smoke onions and peppers before putting them in chili.

You do, if you live in apartment like we do, and have a stove hood that doesn't vent to the outside, kind of have to train the immediate neighbors not to panic about the smoky smell. I have had the fire department called.

TBS
They only had combos with self basting lid or with the skillet/lid. I got the one with skillet lid because it is perfect for corn bread. I wanted it to just use for corn bread so no other flavors would be added to the corn bread.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:39 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
They only had combos with self basting lid or with the skillet/lid. I got the one with skillet lid because it is perfect for corn bread. I wanted it to just use for corn bread so no other flavors would be added to the corn bread.
In all the time I've been cooking with cast iron, I've never had it transfer flavors to other dishes. Never even thought this might happen.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:45 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
In all the time I've been cooking with cast iron, I've never had it transfer flavors to other dishes. Never even thought this might happen.
Yeah same, I mean I consider my cast iron the bombproof awesome of cookware, pretty much indestructible, nothing can touch it, it will laugh at your shenanigans, and if you get a spot of rust, you just hit it with some steel wool, grease it up with crisco, and go another round.

I can understand, though, having a specific skillet for cornbread if you make it alot. I have a mixing bowl I just use for omelets, for no real reason. It is just what that bowl is for. When I was dating Beloved Wife, she once used it for cereal, and I was all sputtering... you're eating cereal? In the omelette bowl? How can this be happening?

TBS
Old 09-19-2016, 08:50 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I made an apple crisp dessert in my skillet once and everything I cooked for awhile had an apple crisp sweet "ghost" flavor. I have also had taco flavors take a couple cooks to disappear. Not sure why but flavors do transfer for me. I kind of like when bacon flavor transfers LOL. After I wash the pan with hot water and put over heat to dry it I can usually smell whatever was cooked in it. I lightly coat hot pan with blue label Crisco and wipe several times to remove any excess oil before storing. No clue why but my family can also pick up flavors from past cook.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:11 PM   #37
Senior Cook

[QUOTE=msmofet;1480677 No clue why but my family can also pick up flavors from past cook.[/QUOTE]

I think different people have different sensibility to ported flavors. I can believe that it picks up flavor, so I can totally see the idea of having a separate pan for cornbread.

I for instance never clean my teapot with anything other than hot water, I think it has a little taste of every tea that has been brewed in it, and makes my cup better.

As Alfred Tennyson says, 'All experience is an arch wherethrough gleams that undiscovered world who's margin fades, forever and ever as I move'

So for me, mayhaps I ignore flavors retained, just considering it seasoning and all.

TBS
Old 09-20-2016, 12:36 AM   #38
Head Chef

I was told to never use soap to wash the cast iron...

used my little 6" to cook an egg for my sister and she immediately said "this tastes like hamburger with Lawry's Seasoning Salt"

she was right...

I wash them ALL with soap - just never soak them - I do not lose the "seasoning" of them.

Foxy - no English man, Australian, New Zealander, etc... would EVER wash a teapot with soap!!! That is sacrilege!!!! Hot water only!
Old 09-20-2016, 12:59 AM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
Now there is something I haven't made in a while. I don't think I've ever made one without ham, so goodness I haven't made split pea soup since before I was married (Jewish wife, no ham). So given we are coming up on our three year anniversary, It must be three years or more.

I suspect chicken would work, anyone have a no ham split pea soup recipe handy?

Cheers,

TBS
When we have a ham for a holiday dinner, the bone, with plenty of meat still hanging on, becomes either split pea soup or white beans and ham, depending on whether it's me (split pea) or my wife (white bean) that gets to it first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Beef short ribs....my favorite slow cooked meat
I love short ribs, but they have become so expensive that I usually use bone in chuck instead, but with the same braising ingredients and technique.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:55 PM   #40
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Foxy - no English man, Australian, New Zealander, etc... would EVER wash a teapot with soap!!! That is sacrilege!!!! Hot water only!
I concur, it is quite the sacrilege. I have a twelve cup Chatsford pot who is named Big Joe. I kind of fooled about with 8 cup teapots before I was married, but Beloved Wife and I mainly drink a twelve pot at a time.

Upton tea is BTW working on recreating the Chatsford teapots from the 80's if you don't have one you might want to keep an eye on them.

They have hired some good ceramics folks.

TBS

Tags
cast iron, dutch oven, oven