"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 09-20-2016, 02:16 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
I just bought a Lodge skillet so I could make this corn bread. Now y'all have me wanting a Lodge Dutch oven.

Cast Iron Skillet Corn Bread Recipe : Alex Guarnaschelli : Food Network
We are experts at doing that to other members.

Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:33 PM   #42
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
In all the time I've been cooking with cast iron, I've never had it transfer flavors to other dishes. Never even thought this might happen.
I have been cooking with cast iron since the 70s... the two things that I have learned is that 1. A well seasoned CI pot or skillet does not harbor flavors and 2. I always use soap to clean. Be reminded that it is the level of seasoning over time that matters.

Lodge sells a brush and a bit of dish soap And that brush....CLEAN! When I oil after cleaning, I look for black residue coming off the surface. If I start to see a lot, than I will clean more agessively.

As to soap, once the oil on the CI has polymerized from heating, it not longer can be broken down with dish soap. cleasener, yes, soap no.

My 5QT DO is easily 25 years old and is my go to pot. BUT... I also get to clean it as wife says it's too heavy. Smart girl!

Markf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:43 PM   #43
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
We are experts at doing that to other members.
Yes indeed. I mean how many of you want a self-basting 5 quart lodge dutch oven? I'm sure everyone right?

I'll eventually make a complete post about the stovetop cameron smoker. I hope everyone has $50 bucks in your bank account.

sourdough isn't a recipe, it is a process.
erehweslefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:45 PM   #44
Master Chef
I have a gold reusable coffee filter that I only use hot water and a brush to clean.
I also do the same for my small tea pot and infused.

NO SOAP on either.

I like to buy loose rose hips, hibiscus flowers, orange pekoe, and oolong tea.

Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote

cast iron, dutch oven, oven