Look what I just bought!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have had enamelled cast iron pots for 40 years. I love them. But, I have learned to be very careful with them. Careful when you put the lid on, so you don't drop it and possibly chip enamel at the edge. Careful with implements. I only use wood or bamboo spoons and spatulas now. Same goes for serving out of them. They are pretty enough that they go on the table.

Cleaning, this is where you want to be very careful. First rule: Don't let guests wash them. Don't let anyone who won't be careful enough, wash them. I have had well meaning guest use steel wool or other harsh, metal scrubbers. :ohmy: Those pots are not in as good a shape as the others.

Never, ever, use metal scrubbers. I don't even use plastic curly scrubbers. I used to scour off stains and burnt on stuff with a sponge and baking soda. But, after many years, I noticed that they aren't as shiny as they were. You can soak out the dirt with baking soda and water and even heat that to get off almost any stain.

This is what I use now. It's terry microfibre on one side and polyester mesh on the "scrubby" side. I got it for a buck at Dollarama. It works surprisingly well and it's just fabric.

Attachments

• cloth scrubber.jpg
    cloth scrubber.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 161
Oh yeah, I use mine for cooking brown rice, stews, curries, just about anything that involves frying or sauteeing, followed by simmering.

Thanks for the cleaning tips Taxlady! I have some of those scrubby cloths, I got them at the dollar store too. I will make sure I keep one
handy for my new Dutch oven.

Thanks for the cleaning tips Taxlady! I have some of those scrubby cloths, I got them at the dollar store too. I will make sure I keep one
handy for my new Dutch oven.
You are very welcome. I wanted you to know before it got scratched. They perform much better without scratches.

And congratulations on winning. :flowers:

We use our Chasseur enamel Dutch oven all the time. Similar in quality to the Lodge and Le Creuset and made in France. Some things will stick but usually an over night soak will result in a clean pan with just few strokes with a sponge or bristle brush.

You will love it for years. And I agree, you will not need two pans for browning and cooking. The enamel interior deglazes with ease. Also there is little need to worry about different expansion rates between enamel and cast iron for the quality products - Chasseur, Le Creseut, Lodge, Staub (not sure I would trust lesser brands). The multilayer process is designed to accommodate the wide ranges of heat

Back
Top Bottom