Looking for a decent deep frying pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turkeyman

Cook
I usually deep fry in this horrible electric wok that barely gets the oil to 350 degrees. When you finally put the product into the oil it has a hard time even keeping at 300 degrees. Today, I decided to change it up and deep fry in my iron cast skillet. Needless to say, it was the most amazing deep frying I've ever done. I was surprised how well it kept the temperature, with me having to completely turn off the heat at times due to it rising above my desired temperature.

My only problem with the iron cast skillet was that the sides were too low. By the end, drops of oil were splattered everywhere. I didn't mind cleaning up since the food turned out so good, but I figure if I get a pot of equal quality that has high sides then I'd be a deep fry master. I'm a purist, so I really don't want a deep fry machine. I can manage the temperature pretty well on my stove with my deep fry thermometer. Do dutch ovens hold heat as well as iron cast skillets? Do they make iron cast skillets in the form of a pot? I love the way it holds heat. Any product recommendations or things to look for would be very welcome, especially if you deep fry with a pot on your stovetop. Thanks :D

edit:
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-Pre-Seasoned-5-Quart-Handles/dp/B00063RWYI/

That looks like a really good one, actually.

yes there are cast iron dutch ovens. seaoned cast iron like Lodge, enameled cast iron like Le Creuset.

These pans will work just like your skillet...heavy cast iron holds the heat very well and is ideal for deep frying.

You link was the exact one I was gonna suggest HERE ~~~ There are larger pots, but they require more oil, and more "horsepower" (BTU's) to recover to optimal temperature after the product goes in....Fry in small batches is a good tip...Splattering kinda goes with frying....

Have Fun!

i have used a heavy wonk to deep fry in. i got a cast iron dutch oven , for Christmas. it has a coating of porcelain, think that is what it is called. it should work well. oil is not cheap , i have an electric fryer but it takes to much oil.

I bought a 7 quart CI DO specifically for deep frying. It works well; uses 2.5 - 4 quarts of oil; spatters less than a shallower vessel and the cast iron seems to benefit from the exposure to hot oil.

Unless you are frying a turkey or something so big, you don't need inches and inches of oil. According to the amount of chicken (or whatever) I'm frying, I use a cast iron fryer, a dutch oven or even a large heavy sauce pan to fry. If I'm doing two or three pieces, the sauce pan is ideal. The oil only needs to be about an inch or so - even lower in a frying pan - I think not over half the depth of the frying pan. I start my chicken out with a lid on top and remove the lid when the pieces are turned to crisp.

I don't deep fry very often, but the vessel I own for that purpose is a French carbon steel bain a fritures. It's about 6 inches deep and maybe 16 inches across. It works better for me than anything else I have ever used. For one thing, it's deep "enough" without being too deep, and there's a wide enough surface that it's easy to fry more than two or three pieces at a time.

It looks kind of like this, only it's quite a bit deeper.

enameled cast iron dutch oven and a thermometer worked great for me.
2.5" of oil = a beautiful batch of fried chicken!

I'm reconsidering all this frying I've been doing. A friend of mine (maybe 45 years old) died of a heart attack last night. Makes me want to lose this excess weight and eat better.

I bought an aluminum pot with basket for frying in my restaurant supply store, it is specificaly made for deep frying, works like a swiss clock.

Yep you, got it, do you have one of those too? :LOL:

:huh: Did I screwed up the idiom again? I do that every so often.

Did I screwed up the idiom again? I do that every so often.

I like to do this on purpose to see if people are paying attention. Like this.

This place runs like an oily machine.
This place works like swiss cheese.
Six of one, 3/4 dozen of another.

I used to say the last one all the time, and in several years time, only one or two people caught it. So I figured what was the point. It's somewhat depressing to learn how little people are actually paying attention to what you say

If you are looking for a deep frying pot i would recommend the cuisinox elite 3.7 qt covered chef's pan, you can buy it at best-cookware-set.com and there is a lot more to find there.

Back
Top Bottom