Looking for a new pan for cooking steaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For those interested this may help with the Cast Iron vs Carbon Steel debate.

Difference Between Steel and Cast Iron | Difference Between | Steel vs Cast Iron

Just today we finished setting aprox. 30,000 lbs. of steel I-beams on the reno we're doing. Each beam was a different size and weight as determined by the engineers.

Metal is a science of it's own and I'll leave that up to those who care about that kind of thing.

The ad I see in the link says 100% iron.
I can see where the confusion comes from.
It sure look like what is called a carbon steel pan but it is iron. ;)
Perhaps it a bit of intentional confusion on the sellers end? :rolleyes:

Now to the cooking question.....
I'd forget the grill pan since you're not concerned about grill marks and it's more difficult for you to clean.

Personally I love my 100+ year old Griswold Cast Iron frying pan because Cast once heated retains the heat well.
Carbon steel would work but I'm not used to it so I really have no opinion about it.

PF's statement of it being lighter is very true so if weight is a concern by all means look into carbon steel over cast.

IMHO a good steak is made on a "hot" surface and cooked until the internal temp is degree of doneness you desire. :chef:

Cast or carbon I wish you the best in culinary delights with whatever you decide. :D

I didn't bother to look for who runs that website but the article you linked is loaded with inaccuracies.

How so?

What are the inaccuracies?

Carbon content and other elements determine the name, strength, and other properties of steel/metal/ melted rock.

I'm always open to learn.

Please school me my friend.

...What are the inaccuracies?...

"Iron is a hard grey metal, and heavier than any of the other elements found on Earth."

When I read this sentence, lead immediately came to mind as being heavier than iron. A quick perusal of the periodic table reveals a host of others.

The main difference between the two elements is that steel is produced from iron ore and scrap metals, and is called an alloy of iron, with controlled carbon

Steel is not an element, iron is.

...steel is superior in tension, and does not rust.

Steel rusts. Some stainless steels do not.

During a process, impurities or slag is removed from iron, and it is turned into a steel alloy. This confirms that steel is an alloy, whereas iron is an element.

So it's an alloy because it's turned into an alloy!?

In addition to these technical issues I have, the writing throughout is awful and riddled with grammatical errors. If you read the "ABOUT" for this site, it basically allows anyone to write a "difference" article.

Thank you for pointing out that some elements are heavier.

I didn't seek to misinform those here.

I only wanted to point out that steel vs iron as commonly referred to has to do with carbon content.

I'm sure the relative differences of steel vs iron and there uses can be debated far beyond my interest in the subject matter.

So you don't like the writing and grammar.
Then I guess you don't like my posts either. :LOL:
I'm not known for either. ;)

The link I posted explained that carbon content is the main difference between cast vs steel and I'm sorry it didn't measure up to your standards my friend. :rolleyes:

As to "who runs the website" I don't think it matters and I find that a rather petty point to pick on.
But I'm just me so WTF do I know?
I digest what's on this intardnet as I read it.

Have fun worrying about steel being an alloy or not and I'm sorry about my writing and grammar.

"loaded with inaccuracies" is a bit of a stretch IMHO my friend but you go ahead and run with that.

I promise to do my best in the future to make any and all grammar in any link I post in the future is up to your standards.

I'm sorry you're taking my comments personally. I was NOT criticizing you or your grammar. I have no issues with you.

Besides, a bunch of people (us) sitting around in a forum discussing a topic because we are interested in the subject is very different from a site that presents itself as having expertise on topics.

Wow this spiked overnight :D

Just to remind people I'm from the UK, and though there may be cheaper cast iron skillets available, these "lodge" ones people keep recommending don't seem to be any cheaper than the carbon steel ones here. Hence the question .. Which is better? It's not a matter of cost :)

I'm not particularly worried about weight. It's not like I need to filp the steaks like a pancake ;P

I think the carbon steel ones require a fair bit of "seasoning" which makes them a bit more hassle I guess. But once that's done and as long as they're looked after its supposed to be a brilliant non stick surface and great for cooking just about everything.

That being said though I'm not looking for the best "all rounder". Just the ideal pan for cooking steaks :D Is there any real difference between the two in terms of cooking other than weight?

And thanks for the science lesson on metals :D

Hence the question .. Which is better? It's not a matter of cost :)

That being said though I'm not looking for the best "all rounder". Just the ideal pan for cooking steaks :D Is there any real difference between the two in terms of cooking other than weight?

S7ewie, I've never used a carbon thingy pan, but I can tell you from experience that a cast iron skillet makes a damn good steak. That's my official vote!!

Wow this spiked overnight :D

Just to remind people I'm from the UK, and though there may be cheaper cast iron skillets available, these "lodge" ones people keep recommending don't seem to be any cheaper than the carbon steel ones here. Hence the question .. Which is better? It's not a matter of cost :)

I'm not particularly worried about weight. It's not like I need to filp the steaks like a pancake ;P

I think the carbon steel ones require a fair bit of "seasoning" which makes them a bit more hassle I guess. But once that's done and as long as they're looked after its supposed to be a brilliant non stick surface and great for cooking just about everything.

And thanks for the science lesson on metals :D

The cast iron requires seasoning as well. Although you can buy pre-seasoned CI and that works well.

Debuyer steel.

I've seen these DeBuyer element B ads and claims, and count me as one of the confused. DeBuyer claims 99% iron, which is close to pure iron, yet those pans are clearly stamped, not cast. I don't think you can stamp iron. It's too brittle.
Steel is just iron with other elements added for various reasons. I'd bet DeBuyer is carbon steel.

Both CI and steel are good material for pots and pans. Iron holds heat better, but steel is lighter.

Why Debuyer wants to claim their pans are iron instead of carbon steel is the mystery.

I'm sorry you're taking my comments personally. I was NOT criticizing you or your grammar. I have no issues with you.

Besides, a bunch of people (us) sitting around in a forum discussing a topic because we are interested in the subject is very different from a site that presents itself as having expertise on topics.

Not taking your comments personal at all my friend. Just wanted to clear up that my link wasn't "loaded with inaccuracies"

I also know my grammar and spelling is atrocious. :LOL:
Now ask me if I care. :smartass:

Steel is iron plus whatever ingredients those who care about those things as to strength and what ever different properties said mixtures have.

The OP's post stated the pans were Iron.
That is true.
But as for them being Cast Iron as we view it in the culinary world they were not the beast we know.

Deceptive advertising??? Might be.

Didn't see you had any issue with my grammar but I hate grammar and spelling police so please excuse me if I went overboard with my objection.

Cast as we know it heats slowly yet retains said heat well.
Carbon Steel as we know it heats quicker yet has a less retention of said heat.
Both should give you a good steak as long as you don't overcook it. ;) Unless that's the way you like it. :rolleyes:

Not taking your comments personal at all my friend. Just wanted to clear up that my link wasn't "loaded with inaccuracies"

I also know my grammar and spelling is atrocious. :LOL:
Now ask me if I care. :smartass:
[/SIZE]

Methinks he dost protest too much :rolleyes:

It is, actually, loaded with inaccuracies.

I'm sure nobody cares, but cast iron skillets are no longer in my kitchen, because of the weight of them.
I have a hard anodized skillet I've been using for more than 20 years for steaks and chops, that does a beautiful job on high heat with both. I've no idea the brand, as I got it at an outlet store. My motto is always "if it's not broke, don't fix it". :rolleyes:;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom