"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-09-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Looking for a new pan for cooking steaks

Hey,
One of my favourite things to cook is steak. Until now I've always used a cast iron "grill" pan with the ridges in. It definitely does a nice job but I'm thinking about trying something else for several reasons.

One of the main ones is that I love to make a peppercorn sauce with my steaks, and I prefer to make it in the juices from the cooked meat. The grill pan makes is very difficult to scrape up all those extra bits of goodness and stir it at the same time. It also makes it very hard to clean. On top of this I don't always get a very even "searing" of the steaks. So I'm thinking maybe I should try a flat pan instead.

I'm assuming that a normal steel frying pan is a bad choice straight away. So do I stick with cast iron? Or are there better choices? I read somewhere that a lot of people use carbon steel?

Let me know what you think.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:39 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

I use big ol' cast iron fry pan. Get it screaming hot and toss the steak in after drying it and rubbing it down with some fat to get a nice crisp sear.

I usually don't do any sauce with my steaks but i guess that after I pull the steak out to rest I would just do a quick deglaze and turn down the heat a little.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:40 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

A cast iron skillet is your best tool for the job. It has the added benefit of being available for all kinds of other cooking when you're not searing steaks.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:42 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

That's pretty much how I cook um now. But I've never been sure about the grill pattern over a nice even sear. Plus the added benefit of being able to cook a steak and use it for other things too.

This is one of the ones that caught my eye. Any thoughts?

De Buyer 5610.28 Mineral B Element Round Frying Pan, 28 cm: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home
Old 03-09-2016, 09:57 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

That's not a cast iron skillet. It's a steel skillet.

https://www.lodgemfg.com/prodcat/ski...and-covers.asp
Old 03-09-2016, 10:24 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

It says cast iron under material?
Old 03-09-2016, 10:42 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I used a grill pan for a while, but I got tired of the grill marks that don't give real grill flavor, and it's hard to clean, so I use a regular cast iron pan for searing steaks. Made some just last weekend and it worked perfectly. After cooking, I deglazed with red wine, reduced it, whisked in butter, crushed dried rosemary and S&P and had a wonderful pan sauce.

This was delicious, easy to cook and clean, so I don't feel a need to look for "better." I've been using this pan for 25+ years.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:49 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Sounds delicious! Exactly what I'm after :D
Yeah I'm tired of the grill marks too, I don't feel like it adds anything and think I'd be much better off getting a flat pan.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:15 AM   #9
Master Chef

Another vote for a plain old cast iron skillet.

I don't miss the grill marks, they were low in calories but they didn't have much flavor!

I use this method I learned from Selkie.

Need help Creating a fancy dinner
Old 03-09-2016, 11:39 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Another vote for a plain old cast iron skillet.

I don't miss the grill marks, they were low in calories but they didn't have much flavor!

I use this method I learned from Selkie.

Need help Creating a fancy dinner
Thanks for posting that, Aunt Bea. It's the same method we use, but I enjoyed reading that old romantic post

Tags
cook, cooking, steak