Looking for advantages and disavantages to cookware metals..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nova5

Assistant Cook
Good old fashion Cast Iron
Stainless Steel
Aluminum
Etc.

Whats good/badd about them? Looking ot buy a set in a few months, would hate to buy junk. also whats a decent brand that does'nt cost to much for a start. buying a home in about 6-8 months and movin out of parents place so i'll need some stuff. Mom got a new mixer and this'nthats so i stole the old stuff.

Nova5:

This subject has been discussed quite a bit, check out the earlier threads in this forum. There's a wealth of info and opinion there.

Meh I don't wanna! Get home outta the heat from working outside all day, ask a question and get "Search" Bah! ;) besides sometimes forum searchs are a PITA when you don't know the keywords needed.

Your choice.

You might want to consider just scrolling down the thread listing for titles that might be suggestive of the information you want.

Since this has been discussed a million times before on here I will give you an abbreviated answer.

Don't buy a set. Get a few pieces of each type of cookware as they all have benefits and disadvantages that are different from each other.

Andy M. said:
Your choice.

You might want to consider just scrolling down the thread listing for titles that might be suggestive of the information you want.
Incredible example of self restraint. My hat's off to you.:cool:

I see the smiliey codes here are different than the ones i'm used to. ;) is supposed to result in the winking smilie fella. Some of ya'll are too uptight.

GB said:
Since this has been discussed a million times before on here I will give you an abbreviated answer.

Don't buy a set. Get a few pieces of each type of cookware as they all have benefits and disadvantages that are different from each other.

I'll take that under advisment, thanks for the tip.

I've heard cooking with aluminum pans is not healthy for you.

non-stick/teflon will scrape off eventually, but good while it lasts. Just throw away when it starts scratching.

cast iron is good. heavy.

stainless steel is good. will stick though.

(I can never find what I'm looking for either on the searches):rolleyes:

Nova5 said:
I see the smiliey codes here are different than the ones i'm used to. ;) is supposed to result in the winking smilie fella.
The part I quoted makes sense to me. After reading your post of 3:08 I read all your previous posts and none of them gave even a hint of the tone I congratulated Andy M. on overlooking. Please accept my apology.
Stainless Steel
Aluminum
Etc.

Whats good/badd about them? Looking ot buy a set in a few months, would hate to buy junk. also whats a decent brand that does'nt cost to much for a start. buying a home in about 6-8 months and movin out of parents place so i'll need some stuff. Mom got a new mixer and this'nthats so i stole the old stuff.
For what it's worth, here a few thought on your original question.
Like GB said, buy pieces not sets except: If you absolutely have to start with nothing and feed a family from day one, a set of heavy disc bottom aluminum cookware with non-stick exterior and glass lids isn't a bad way to start. You can get a set with a "lifetime warranty" in the $75 range. The whole set costs less than a 10" All-Clad lid and allows you to see whats going on inside that quality pan you'll eventually end up getting. If you didn't care more about cookware than the average person in your position, you wouldn't have joined this forum.

Not withstanding what I said above, buy non-stick cookware with the expectation of periodically replacing it, no matter what the warranty. You'll want a non-stick omelet pan, 8", 10" or both, mainly or maybe exclusively for eggs.

If you started with set mentioned earlier, the next purchase I'd recommend would be a 10" cast iron pan. You might get cheaper but you won't go wrong with Lodge. They aren't that expensive and your grandchildren, when they are middle aged or older, will fight over them when your children pass. Don't buy the cast iron lid, at least not now. Add 8" and 12" pans and a dutch oven as is convenient over the next decade or so.

I think you should get, one piece at a time, tri-ply stainless steel of the line and brand you become convinced is the best, regardless of price or budget. These are the pans you'll use every day (every meal really) and if you buy good quality they will not only have that lifetime warranty mentioned above, but will actually last the rest of your life. If I was advising my bachelor son on the order of acquisition, I'd recommend the 10" omelet pan (omelet pan refers to shape; not what you should cook in it. I think stainless sucks for eggs.) Then 2 qt. and 4 qt. pots or sauciers with lids (if pressed I'd say get the pots and add the saucier(s) later.

This isn't a comprehensive discussion and there are many different point of view. At least I've given you a few of my thoughts in atonement for earlier rudeness.

Last edited:
you should have a cast iron skillet...buy a brand name like Lodge
you should have a sliverstone lined aluminum skillet...get thick aluminum. at stores like Bed bath and beyond and Linens and things there are specials on certain Calphalon pans...a two-fer.
You should have an enameled cast iron caserole. Le Crueset is $$, but there are others out there for much less made in China, and with care they will last you. THe Mario Batali Pot from Copco is a good one at 1/2 the cost of Le Crueset.
You should have a set of sauce pans and a saute pan of tri ply (usually aluminum sandwiched between stainless) THe best is probably AllClad, but that is also the $$. Le Gourmet Chef and Cooks Collection, and mall cooking stores like these have house brands of tri ply that will save you $$ and be very durable. Martha Stewart also has a K Mart line with copper exterior that is fine.

Cast iron holds the heat well, great for searing and slow oven cooking. Aluminum heats quickly and evenly. Stainless doesn't but is non reactive to acids (wine, lemmon, etc) thus the variety method does you best.

If you are into QVC, their Technique anodized aluminum pans (hte dark gray ones ) lined with silver stone are quite good and a good price. The rest I don't care for. I don't like the disk bottom pans except the really high price French ones. not a bargain. But to each his or her own.

No pan is "unhealthy" if used correctly. Never store food in the pan you cooked in. If you can (glass) it's not much of a responsive pan, although glass does have it's uses too.

skilletlicker said:
The part I quoted makes sense to me. After reading your post of 3:08 I read all your previous posts and none of them gave even a hint of the tone I congratulated Andy M. on overlooking. Please accept my apology.

Unneccesary but Accepted, I'm an old IRC use (pre Forum style of live chat) and have always used ;) this is only the second place i've ever come across that didnt accept it that way. *shrugs* different board, different config. the other needed [;)] the brackets were the key there. Just gotta learn what that one is here.

Thanks for your other info, when i get around to getting the things together it will be of use to me.

Nova5 said:
Stainless Steel
Aluminum
Etc.

Alton Brown has written pretty extensively on this subject in his book "Gear for Your Kitchen." At $27.50 in hardback, it might be seen as a little pricey, but offers a wealth of information regarding just about anything you might want for your kitchen.

Yes, old AB is pretty opinionated about stuff, but he lays out the pros and cons about the various metals and coatings and the like in a pretty objective manner.

I for one found the entire book a fascinating read, and I frequently refer to it when I am looking for a new kitchen tool.

Kelly

Back
Top Bottom