"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 06-20-2006, 03:59 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Looking for advantages and disavantages to cookware metals..

Good old fashion Cast Iron
Stainless Steel
Aluminum
Etc.

Whats good/badd about them? Looking ot buy a set in a few months, would hate to buy junk. also whats a decent brand that does'nt cost to much for a start. buying a home in about 6-8 months and movin out of parents place so i'll need some stuff. Mom got a new mixer and this'nthats so i stole the old stuff.

Old 06-20-2006, 04:02 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Nova5:

This subject has been discussed quite a bit, check out the earlier threads in this forum. There's a wealth of info and opinion there.

Old 06-20-2006, 04:08 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Meh I don't wanna! Get home outta the heat from working outside all day, ask a question and get "Search" Bah! ;) besides sometimes forum searchs are a PITA when you don't know the keywords needed.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:19 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Your choice.

You might want to consider just scrolling down the thread listing for titles that might be suggestive of the information you want.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:22 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Since this has been discussed a million times before on here I will give you an abbreviated answer.

Don't buy a set. Get a few pieces of each type of cookware as they all have benefits and disadvantages that are different from each other.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:25 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Your choice.

You might want to consider just scrolling down the thread listing for titles that might be suggestive of the information you want.
Incredible example of self restraint. My hat's off to you.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:31 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

I see the smiliey codes here are different than the ones i'm used to. ;) is supposed to result in the winking smilie fella. Some of ya'll are too uptight.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:33 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Since this has been discussed a million times before on here I will give you an abbreviated answer.

Don't buy a set. Get a few pieces of each type of cookware as they all have benefits and disadvantages that are different from each other.
I'll take that under advisment, thanks for the tip.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:06 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I've heard cooking with aluminum pans is not healthy for you.

non-stick/teflon will scrape off eventually, but good while it lasts. Just throw away when it starts scratching.

cast iron is good. heavy.

stainless steel is good. will stick though.

(I can never find what I'm looking for either on the searches)
Old 06-20-2006, 06:28 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova5
I see the smiliey codes here are different than the ones i'm used to. ;) is supposed to result in the winking smilie fella.
The part I quoted makes sense to me. After reading your post of 3:08 I read all your previous posts and none of them gave even a hint of the tone I congratulated Andy M. on overlooking. Please accept my apology.
Quote:
Good old fashion Cast Iron
Stainless Steel
Aluminum
Etc.

Whats good/badd about them? Looking ot buy a set in a few months, would hate to buy junk. also whats a decent brand that does'nt cost to much for a start. buying a home in about 6-8 months and movin out of parents place so i'll need some stuff. Mom got a new mixer and this'nthats so i stole the old stuff.
For what it's worth, here a few thought on your original question.
Like GB said, buy pieces not sets except: If you absolutely have to start with nothing and feed a family from day one, a set of heavy disc bottom aluminum cookware with non-stick exterior and glass lids isn't a bad way to start. You can get a set with a "lifetime warranty" in the $75 range. The whole set costs less than a 10" All-Clad lid and allows you to see whats going on inside that quality pan you'll eventually end up getting. If you didn't care more about cookware than the average person in your position, you wouldn't have joined this forum.

Not withstanding what I said above, buy non-stick cookware with the expectation of periodically replacing it, no matter what the warranty. You'll want a non-stick omelet pan, 8", 10" or both, mainly or maybe exclusively for eggs.

If you started with set mentioned earlier, the next purchase I'd recommend would be a 10" cast iron pan. You might get cheaper but you won't go wrong with Lodge. They aren't that expensive and your grandchildren, when they are middle aged or older, will fight over them when your children pass. Don't buy the cast iron lid, at least not now. Add 8" and 12" pans and a dutch oven as is convenient over the next decade or so.

I think you should get, one piece at a time, tri-ply stainless steel of the line and brand you become convinced is the best, regardless of price or budget. These are the pans you'll use every day (every meal really) and if you buy good quality they will not only have that lifetime warranty mentioned above, but will actually last the rest of your life. If I was advising my bachelor son on the order of acquisition, I'd recommend the 10" omelet pan (omelet pan refers to shape; not what you should cook in it. I think stainless sucks for eggs.) Then 2 qt. and 4 qt. pots or sauciers with lids (if pressed I'd say get the pots and add the saucier(s) later.

This isn't a comprehensive discussion and there are many different point of view. At least I've given you a few of my thoughts in atonement for earlier rudeness.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote