"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Looking for new cookware

Kind of a long story but because my wife moved to our house in Texas (to be with the kids and grandkids more than to be away from me), I told her to take everything she would need so as to save her some money. Told her I would make do with whatever was left and piece together whatever else I might need. We have/had a nice Wearever annodized skillet and figured Wearever was probably a decent brand. I saw a set of their "Professional" nonstick cookware on sale and bought it. What a bunch of crap. Super lightweight and they heat fast, but other than that, they are garbage. I am not really much of a cook but do know kinda what to do in the kitchen. I can not justify getting a set of All Clad, that's for sure. I did see a a 10 piece set of Better Homes and Garden S/S cookware for like $179.00. Not sure if I should go S/S or look at hard annodized. Is BH&G cookware worth buying, or am I gonna regret that and want to toss them too? Gotta look at getting a set of knives too.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Tramontina makes good quality pots and pans at reasonable prices. Even their clad items are pretty affordable.

I'm pretty sure the BHG is made in Brazil by Tramontina but I'm not 100% on that, more like 60%. Looks well made if you're talking about the stuff in Walmart.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymeless View Post
Tramontina makes good quality pots and pans at reasonable prices. Even their clad items are pretty affordable.

I'm pretty sure the BHG is made in Brazil by Tramontina but I'm not 100% on that, more like 60%. Looks well made if you're talking about the stuff in Walmart.
I like Tramontina's older SS pans. I watch for them on EBay. I have had Le Crueset for over 25 years. LOVE IT. However, my mother bought my "starter set" for me and paid $149 for it, and bought me some extra pieces. Le Crueset is expensive, but it is something your kids could use for their entire lifetimes as well.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Yes I was in Walmart when I saw the BH&G cookware, and the kids can get their own cookware
Old 03-20-2011, 04:19 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

I mis-spoke. The set I bought wasn't Wearever, it was Faberware. That stuff junk. Still looking and trying to make up my mind. I always over think and over analyze things.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:40 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Thymeless is correct. BH&G is made by Tramontina for Walmart.

You can't beat the price for tri-ply. Tramontina is a good choice. I'd go for it.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:48 AM   #7
Master Chef

Site Moderator

If you have a K-mart or Sears near by check out the Kenmore SS cookware. It seems pretty nice and appears to have a good heavy bottom. You can get a set or just the individual pieces.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:18 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Popeye--what kind of cookware is available at the Base? I do like the
Tramatino SS pans I have. Didn't know Walmart carried SS pans made by Tramatino. I'll have to check those out next time I go to the City.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:51 AM   #9
Master Chef

Go to your favorite restaurant and look in the kitchen. Then save your money! I use old revere copper bottomed stainless steel picked up at garage sales and thrift stores.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:29 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Go to your favorite restaurant and look in the kitchen. Then save your money! I use old revere copper bottomed stainless steel picked up at garage sales and thrift stores.
I used to have an old, Revereware, copper bottomed pot that was great. I don't remember where it came from or where it is now. Maybe it was the ex's and he kept it. The newer Reverware doesn't look nearly as good.

Tags
cookware