Looking for similar clay pot. Help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YarnerT

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,

I need help find a clay pot similar to the one in the picture only smaller. https://twitter.com/YarnerT/status/414114918325960704/photo/1 I bought this one a couple of years ago at a local Portuguese store. My aunt came to visit and LOVED it, so now I want to buy her one, but in a smaller size. The store I bought this one at only has bigger or very small ones, and looking on the internet I can't find this style of clay pot. I don't even know the proper name for it other than clay pot.

Does anyone know the proper name for this type of pot, or where online I can find such a thing? I'm looking for one that is 9"-10" wide and 4"-4.5" deep.

Thank you immensely!

I'm sorry I can't help you too much---- I was going to suggest World Market (Cost Plus) but I'm not sure they have stores in Canada.

But where-ever you buy one, please make sure it doesn't contain lead in the glaze. In the US, our FDA keeps a watch out for imports that contain lead. Maybe there's something similar to that in Canada?

Any ceramic cookware you buy from Ebay or privately---- please question the seller carefully.

Welcome. :)

I'm sorry I can't help you too much---- I was going to suggest World Market (Cost Plus) but I'm not sure they have stores in Canada.

But where-ever you buy one, please make sure it doesn't contain lead in the glaze. In the US, our FDA keeps a watch out for imports that contain lead. Maybe there's something similar to that in Canada?

Any ceramic cookware you buy from Ebay or privately---- please question the seller carefully.

Welcome. :)

Thanks for bringing that up Cave. I thought about that after I left my previous post.
On second thought, I don't think I'd trust one from Mexico.

Last edited:
i used to have a place in carvoeiro,on the algarve & used to see that pattern on loads of different earthenware pots.seems to be a popular pattern in portugal.the pots in these photo's aren't exactly the same but i bet this guy knows where you can get them.might mean a trip to portugal to get it tho'!!
looks like a straightforward deep casserole dish to me.happy huntin' & welcome to dc!!
Taking Earth and Fire to make Heavenly Earthenware… | Local Heart, Global Soul

Hi everyone,

I need help find a clay pot similar to the one in the picture only smaller. https://twitter.com/YarnerT/status/414114918325960704/photo/1 I bought this one a couple of years ago at a local Portuguese store. My aunt came to visit and LOVED it, so now I want to buy her one, but in a smaller size. The store I bought this one at only has bigger or very small ones, and looking on the internet I can't find this style of clay pot. I don't even know the proper name for it other than clay pot.

Does anyone know the proper name for this type of pot, or where online I can find such a thing? I'm looking for one that is 9"-10" wide and 4"-4.5" deep.

Thank you immensely!
Try googling "terracotta" cooking pots. Also try googling "cazuela" (the Spanish name) on Amazon. there are dozens of smilar pots on there. As others have said, make sure it doesn't have a lead glaze. La Tiendra is a good, lead-free brand name.

Last edited:
If the ones from Mexico (or any other country) were imported through FDA's inspection, they SHOULD be o.k. (note emphasis)

But if a person is buying one off of eBay or from someone who visited Mexico (or any other country) then, as I said---- think carefully. If it doesn't worry someone, then that's their prerogative.

I'm not picking on Mexico. A quick look at the FDA site will show there are other countries too. Mexico is just the closest to the US, so.......

As a frequent visitor to Mexico, I find most Mexican products are very safe. That said, some do still use lead in glazes. Apparently, hardware stores have do-it-yourself lead testing kits. If it has lead, then it should be for serving or decorative purposes, not for cooking. Lead crystal also contains lead, and shouldn't be used for storing, just for serving.

Why don't you go to your local craft shops or look up a pottery in your area. I can 'almost' guarantee that any potter in Canada whether they use their own made glazes or bought ones will be food safe.

They would be more than happy to sell you a pottery you can cook in. Stoneware which won't even need a glaze and becomes seasoned as you use it... the best!!!

(so said by an x-Canadian-potter)

Have you talked with the person that does purchasing in the original shop? That person would be the expert on finding and ordering the pot for you. Seems like they would want to make their return customer happy. Or if there is a local ceramics studio/supplier that does kiln firing, maybe they would have a similar pot than can be decorated and fired to your Aunt's liking.

If you find a place that sells Tagines, you will likely find something to suit your needs. Here is one spot that I found. I was seeking the place where I bought my tagine, but am not certain that this is the place. I do remember that the place I got my clay pot guaranteed a food-safe glaze and clay.

Back
Top Bottom