Manpans - any recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robo410

Executive Chef
Moderator Emeritus
A poster back in 2009 mentioned manpans. Recently I saw videos on youtube and have checked other reviews. Has anybody else had any first hand experience with these pans?

USA made, light weight, anodized aluminum, mineral coated (stick free), industrial look etc etc. Sold directly thru the company that makes them on line, reasonable pricing etc.

If all this is true, and they cook well, these would be ideal for this traveling chef.

Velly interesting!! Thanks for the links Janet.

I never heard of these either. As a woman, I sure wouldn't mind the size of the "manhandle" as my hands certainly aren't "dainty". Looks like a good product, and I'll be interested to hear if anyone has one.

My experience with my smooth top electric range is that unless a pan has an encapsulated bottom it won't make full contact with the glass top. I had several hard anodized pans and they all warped enough after heating that they spun around on the glass top.

Manpans don't appear to have encapsulated bottoms. they probably work great with a gas range.
Lee

locksmith, some older pans certainly had that problem, however,as the glass top stove became the norm for so many people, cookware manufacturers have had to rectify that problem. My sis has a glass top and QVC Techniques cookware. Works fine...no warpage even after 5 or so years of use (and abuse).

No the manpans do not have encapsulated bottoms.

A set of manpans arrived today (A week exactly since I ordered them.) I got the 7 pc 10" set: saute, stir fry, sloping side fry, 4 qt pan, steamer insert, 2 glass lids. Everything 10" diameter. (some pans also come in 8 and 12" sizes.) The pans are dark gray with a spiral handle that does not get hot from stove top use (it will in the oven). They are thin and light weight, but have a wrapped edge that holds them in true shape.

They heat up very quickly and hold the heat. I was more than pleased with sauteing, steaming, and a quick stir fry. The clean up was easy. They are virtually stick free...doing eggs in it tomorrow. I'll let you know if there is a problem.

They are a green pan, USA made, very stick resistant. Several folks have done youtube demos with them., including driving a car over one!

I don't need another pan, but as I do traveling chef gigs, these are light and versatile.
I'm impressed.

Manufacturer does not recommend putting them in the dishwasher. However, you can use metal utensils.

basic shapes: sauce pan, 2, 4, 6 qt. saute pan 10" and 12". stir fry pan 10" and 12". fry pan 8" 10" and 12". steamer for 10" and 12". Lids.

Price is quite good: The set I bought was about $300. I'm keeping it. (30 day return option)

I have so far: sauteed veg for stuffing, steamed and then stir fried veg for a meal, cooked fried eggs, bacon and pancakes, all the fixin's for enchiladas refried beans and rice, as well as baked the enchiladas with cheese in the saute pan, made creamed mushrooms for Thanksgiving dinner. I have used metal wood and silicon utensils, and cleaned the pans with Dawn and a blue Scotchbrite /spongepad.

They cook very well on a low flame. They cook equally well in the oven. On the stove top the handles do not get hot. The pans are very light (like your old boy scout folding camp fire pan set.) But food does not burn, the heat is evenly distributed. The pans are "virtually" stick free and come clean easily. Food releases easily, but it also browns well.

I suppose an ultimate test will be a slow simmer and oven braise. If the food does not need constant attention, then these are all round winners.

I will be ordering a few more of varying sizes. I certainly will take these on the road with me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom