Members Mark Tri Ply Cookware?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of our local news affiliates did a cookware test the week between Christmas and New Years. Unfortunately I only remember two of the brands they compared (they tested several), Emerialware and Member's Mark. Member's Mark came out at the top of their list and Emerial was somewhere near the bottom.

One of the tests was to leave an empty saucepan on a hot burner. The Emerialware melted, separated and left molten aluminum all over the stove.

In trying to find a reference on-line their test I ran across someone else who had the same issue (click the link and scroll down to the 3rd comment):
http://www.appetites.us/archives/000177.html

Last edited:
mickey_72 said:
One of our local news affiliates did a cookware test the week between Christmas and New Years. Unfortunatly I only remember two of the brands they compared (they tested several), Emerialware and Memeber's Mark. Member's Mark came out at the top of their list and Emerial was somewhere near the bottom.

One of the tests was to leave an empty saucepan on a hot burner. The Emerialware melted, sperated and left molten aluminum all over the stove.

In trying to find a refference online their test I ran across someone else who had the same issue (click the link and scroll down to the 3rd comment):
http://www.appetites.us/archives/000177.html

Sounds like exactly what I read in the Consumers Report test. They did the 'empty pan on the hot burner' test and got the same Emerilware results and stated them in similar words.

I've seen Consumer Reports sponsored tests on TV news shows. I think they're trying to get more into the public eye.

Tri-Ply good investment

Hello there-

As a chef, and an owner of many brands of cookware, tri-ply (or more-ply) is a good way to insure even conduction of heat across the bottom of your pan reducing the possibility of burning the food you spend good money on. There is, however a point where function does not balance with cost (and many companies pander to the unknowing by saying "we have 7 ply construction", etc.) There are a couple of points you need to consider in construction that are quite important, however.... handles attached SOLIDLY on the side of the pan (a safety concern), a HEAVY bottom layer (more even heating), oven proof (no plastic or wood handles which may warp/burn), and DURABLE lids (so you are never going to have to buy another lid, and another, and another). All clad is great, as the heat transfers up the side of the pan heating soups, etc. that much faster.... but is not an essential to a good, functional, and more than adequate home use pan. I am not going to suggest particular brands, as you may not find these available to you in your locale, and I do not want to give any particular brands a free plug, but the heavier, the sturdier, the better.

Use wise- SS (stainless steel) is functionally very different than nonstick. It will stick with egg almost every time, so keep one nonstick fry pan available for egg use (or even better cast iron or carbon steel). However there are tricks to use SS with frying meats, etc. 1)keep the heat on medium, no more! 2)preheat the pan for a minute or two before adding anything to the pan, especially if it is an electric stove 3)add oil and heat till light smokeyness rises from pan (you must use oil/butter to some degree) 4)add chicken breast/pork chop/steak now, and LEAVE IT ALONE for 2-3 minutes.... DO NOT POKE/PROD/MOVE!! 5)after the 3 min. check the brownness now;if brown, flip and again LEAVE 2-3 minutes;if not brown enough try another min or two. 6)from this point you can add sauce, veggies, or just put into hot oven for another 5-10 to cook through (as to your preference).

Sauces/soups/ and liquid cooking is much easier-just make sure to use Med heat (or at VERY most med.high heat), and burnt/scortched foods will be nearly non existant if you don't forget your pan on the stove. I can go into so much more detail, but I am out of time for the moment, and I hope this gets you off on the right foot in looking for your new SS cookware.

Last edited:
Michael in FtW said:
I checked and even Consumer Reports doesn't have a review of this cookware.

Actually, Consumer Reports has rated them in the December 2005 issue.

1. KitchenAid Gourmet Essentials was first
2. Calphalon Contemporary
3. Emerilware Stainless (but melt and fall apart if left on a burner)
4. Magnalite Classic
5. Member's Mark Tri-ply clad
6. J.A. Hennckels Classic Clad
7. T-Fal Jamie Oliver
8. All Clad Master Chef 2
9. Cuisinart Chef's Classic
10. All Clad Copper Core 6000
and 6 more

I realize this is an old thread but I'll add my two cents in.

I've had this set of cookware for 2 years and just love them. They are in daily use and still look like new, they heat evenly and I love the fact that the pan and the lid can go in the oven. The riveted handles have stayed tight, sticking is not a problem as a rule but I learned to cook with stainless steel. And for the money, I don't think they can be beat.

I will admit that I do keep one Teflon pan strictly for eggs.

Back
Top Bottom