"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-23-2005, 05:12 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Members Mark Tri Ply Cookware?

I am considering getting a set of Sam's Club Members Mark Tri Ply Stainless Cookware. I want to move up to clad cookware, but don't want to shell out $$$ for All Clad. I've looked at the Calphalon Tri Ply set, and like it, but the Sam's Club set SEEMS to have all of the same features as both the All-Clad and the Calphalon, at a fraction of the price. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the glass lids on the Calphalon set, but maybe that's a silly concern.

SO, does anyone have an opinion as to the Member Mark cookware? It is stainless, and has an aluminum core throughout, like the All Clad and Calphalon. Please give me your input on things such as their performance, heft (I don't want light cookware), and general quality, especially compared to the Calphalon Tri Ply, which seems to be my second option.

Thanks!

Old 02-23-2005, 06:05 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
oldhat - I'm clueless, sorry. But I'll be watching the thread to pick up some information myself.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:09 PM   #3
Master Chef

I'm afraid I'm clueless, too - can't even find out who makes the cookware for Sam's Club. But, it does look a lot like All-Clad with Calphalon handles, except the handles are a little thicker - which I would prefer.

Your best guide would be to actually look at them (all three brands) and check out the heft for yourself. A 12" All-Clad skillet weighs 2-lbs 14-oz, Calphalon is 3-lbs 2-oz. If the thinknesses all look about the same and if the Members Mark cookware weighs about the same, it should cook about the same as either one.

If the thickness and weight are comperable - you sure can't beat the price!
Old 02-23-2005, 11:35 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Sorry I can't be of much help either, but if it helps, you are asking all the right questions. Sound like you know what to look for. Michaels advice is right on (as usual). If you go and check all the brands out I bet you will be able to figure which will work best for you. Let us know what you decide on.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:48 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks for your insights.

I'd still really like a review of this cookware before I get it. My main concern is really just in the quality, because I'm not sure who makes it, and while I know what it's made of, I do not know how well it is put together. I am a big believer in the motto "you get what you pay for," and in this case I don't want to make a mistake in buying poor quality. I've seen other reviews on here re: Sam's Club's gas grills, and they weren't good...something about parts falling off, etc.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:35 AM   #6
Master Chef

Well, oldhat, we're not talking gas grills with a lot of parts here ... were talking pots-n-pans that only have three parts ... the "pot/pan", the rivits that attach the handles, and the handles.

The rivits are going to be aluminum with SS caps ... just like All-Clad or Calphalon .... and a dozen or more other brands.

Sure a handle could break - or a rivit ... but that's going to be a rare occurance. But, it's got a Lifetime warranty - so you get a new one if it does. Same risk you take if you buy All-Clad!

The important thing is the thickness and weight of the cookware.

I checked and even Consumer Reports doesn't have a review of this cookware.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:39 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

I checked epinions.com and nothing there either.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:16 AM   #8
Master Chef

I may be wrong, but this may be the cookware Andy M speaks of positively. Maybe he will see this and post.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:59 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Hi guys.

Jennyema you have a good memory!

However, I'm not familiar with Members Mark.

I have Kirkland Signature, which is Costco's brand, some All-Clad and some Le Gourmet Chef. I think all three are good but the Le Gourmet Chef is a little thinner walled than the other two. That said, the sauce pans I have work fine.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:52 AM   #10
Head Chef

Maybe you can find a manufacturer's name on the box to give you a starting point for your search.

G'luck!

;)
Z