Mixing Bowls: Heavy weight or Light weight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

n2cookin

Senior Cook
I tried searching to see if this has been discussed. I may not be using the right keywords. I am looking to buy some mixing bowls. I only have a few small glass ones. So I was thinking about the stainless steel bowls. Any suggestions as to what is better heavy weight or light weight mixing bowls. And most used sizes would help. Thanks in advance.

DW got a set of nested SS medium weight bowls as a gift many moons ago...We love them! Use them daily...Size? I dunno...Smallest is maybe 3 cups -- largest is big enough to give a baby a bath in -- Obviously the middle sizes are used the most! HTH

We have some SS and plastic mixing bowls. The plastic ones are nice enough to double as serving bowls too. Make sure to get some deep straight sided ones for the hand mixer, or you'll be flinging stuff everywhere.

I got my Pyrex mixing bowls as a wedding present in 1984. I like the fact that they have some weight to them - it helps hold them still when I'm working with ingredients. I have one SS bowl for melting chocolate, etc.

I have a large selection of both ss and glass mixing bowls and a few plastic ones.
I always find myself using the large plastic ones. I like them because the don't weigh anything. Size... get as many as you can in as many differents sizes as you can. You'll use them all.

I got a SS set for my wedding also. They are kidna light and the bottom on one of them seems to "pop" but they are good enough. i wish they were a bit thicker but I see no difference other then it gets the contents warmer faster becuase it is so thin.

I use my SS the most... a set of all sizes. Then I have my heavy glass ones that I rarely use.

I bought a set of stainless steel mixing bowls made by Vollrath from a new restaurant supply store. They are fairly heavy for stainless.

But I really love the heavy Vollrath bowl basins! I have several in different sizes [also from the used restaurant supply store]. They are so stable when working, have a lip for easy carrying, and wide enough to be able to work on the ingredients inside easily.

img_755486_0_8f9cb1a62db510eab6391ec933b5abf0.jpg

Leolady do you find the flat bottom SS bowls better than the more rounded bottom? I do like the idea of the lip for easy carrying. Thanks for the picture. I will do some research on Vollrath.

You are welcome!

It depends on what you are doing whether the flat bottom is better. When I make masses of biscuit dough or for regular serving salads and such, I love the basins!

If I where making cakes or something, I probably would prefer a bowl.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom