"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 09-23-2010, 01:06 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Moldy smell

I am a perfect housekeeper and can't figure out who broke into my house, used my Pyrex casserole dish and left it dirty, with a lid on it long enough to mold. Truthfully, it's just been a crazy week. Anyhow, naturally, the glass pan itself came squeaky clean. The soft plastic lid however, still stinks like mold after several washings in the hottest water my poor little hands could handle (no dishwasher). I am mercilessly prejudiced against bleach, but if nobody has a better idea, it may come to that. Then I'll just have to get the bleach smell out... Any alternative ideas? If I do resort to bleach, will it even work?

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:13 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I use "Dawn Direct Foam" on all my plastics and it works wonderfully to get the old onion smell, grease and tomato stains off everything.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:18 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Do you have another vessel that is big enough to hold the lid? If so get it to boiling and then lower the heat to off now add vinegar no matter the kind leave the room and check every so often, Should loosen all that gunk
kadesma
Old 09-23-2010, 05:27 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
I did some Google'ing for food safe mold killer, got this nice tid bit:
Quote:
For homemade mold killer, combine two teaspoons of tea tree oil and two cups water in a spray bottle and shake. Do not rinse
and I also found this
How to Make Eco-Friendly Mold Killer Without Bleach - DIY Chatroom - Home Improvement Site
Old 09-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Not sure why there is a merciless prejudice against bleach. It's cheap and effective.

Bleach kills mold. Bleach breaks down in sunlight in a matter of an hour or two and isn't bleach anymore.

A couple of tsp. of bleach in a couple of cups of water in the lid. The mold and mold smell will be gone. if soap and water doesn't get rid of the bleach smell, put the lid in the sun for a couple of hours.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
Head Chef

Bleach is what restaurants did in the old days to wash their dishes before dishwashers were commonly in use. Having said that, you might try coating the lid in a baking soda paste and leave it sit for a while.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Not sure why there is a merciless prejudice against bleach. It's cheap and effective.

Bleach kills mold. Bleach breaks down in sunlight in a matter of an hour or two and isn't bleach anymore.

A couple of tsp. of bleach in a couple of cups of water in the lid. The mold and mold smell will be gone. if soap and water doesn't get rid of the bleach smell, put the lid in the sun for a couple of hours.
I don't have a problem with bleach, I use it liberally...my black t-shirts can attest to that. Thank goodness for Rub a Dub markers!
Old 09-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
Everymom

Sprout, vinegar is your best buddy. Its cheap and effective. Pour a LIBERAL amount on the lid and let it sit. Then wipe and it will be done.