Moldy smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
I am a perfect housekeeper and can't figure out who broke into my house, used my Pyrex casserole dish and left it dirty, with a lid on it long enough to mold. :angel: Truthfully, it's just been a crazy week. Anyhow, naturally, the glass pan itself came squeaky clean. The soft plastic lid however, still stinks like mold after several washings in the hottest water my poor little hands could handle (no dishwasher). I am mercilessly prejudiced against bleach, but if nobody has a better idea, it may come to that. Then I'll just have to get the bleach smell out... Any alternative ideas? If I do resort to bleach, will it even work?

I use "Dawn Direct Foam" on all my plastics and it works wonderfully to get the old onion smell, grease and tomato stains off everything.

Do you have another vessel that is big enough to hold the lid? If so get it to boiling and then lower the heat to off now add vinegar no matter the kind leave the room and check every so often, Should loosen all that gunk
kadesma

Last edited:
Not sure why there is a merciless prejudice against bleach. It's cheap and effective.

Bleach kills mold. Bleach breaks down in sunlight in a matter of an hour or two and isn't bleach anymore.

A couple of tsp. of bleach in a couple of cups of water in the lid. The mold and mold smell will be gone. if soap and water doesn't get rid of the bleach smell, put the lid in the sun for a couple of hours.

Bleach is what restaurants did in the old days to wash their dishes before dishwashers were commonly in use. Having said that, you might try coating the lid in a baking soda paste and leave it sit for a while.

Not sure why there is a merciless prejudice against bleach. It's cheap and effective.

Bleach kills mold. Bleach breaks down in sunlight in a matter of an hour or two and isn't bleach anymore.

A couple of tsp. of bleach in a couple of cups of water in the lid. The mold and mold smell will be gone. if soap and water doesn't get rid of the bleach smell, put the lid in the sun for a couple of hours.

I don't have a problem with bleach, I use it liberally...my black t-shirts can attest to that.:ROFLMAO: Thank goodness for Rub a Dub markers!

Sprout, vinegar is your best buddy. Its cheap and effective. Pour a LIBERAL amount on the lid and let it sit. Then wipe and it will be done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom