"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-23-2010, 01:06 AM   #1
Sous Chef
 
Sprout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Usa, Michigan
Posts: 558
Moldy smell

I am a perfect housekeeper and can't figure out who broke into my house, used my Pyrex casserole dish and left it dirty, with a lid on it long enough to mold. Truthfully, it's just been a crazy week. Anyhow, naturally, the glass pan itself came squeaky clean. The soft plastic lid however, still stinks like mold after several washings in the hottest water my poor little hands could handle (no dishwasher). I am mercilessly prejudiced against bleach, but if nobody has a better idea, it may come to that. Then I'll just have to get the bleach smell out... Any alternative ideas? If I do resort to bleach, will it even work?

__________________

__________________
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:13 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,283
I use "Dawn Direct Foam" on all my plastics and it works wonderfully to get the old onion smell, grease and tomato stains off everything.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:18 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Do you have another vessel that is big enough to hold the lid? If so get it to boiling and then lower the heat to off now add vinegar no matter the kind leave the room and check every so often, Should loosen all that gunk
kadesma
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:27 AM   #4
Senior Cook
 
Joshatdot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 369
Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
I did some Google'ing for food safe mold killer, got this nice tid bit:
Quote:
For homemade mold killer, combine two teaspoons of tea tree oil and two cups water in a spray bottle and shake. Do not rinse
and I also found this
How to Make Eco-Friendly Mold Killer Without Bleach - DIY Chatroom - Home Improvement Site
__________________
Joshatdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,351
Not sure why there is a merciless prejudice against bleach. It's cheap and effective.

Bleach kills mold. Bleach breaks down in sunlight in a matter of an hour or two and isn't bleach anymore.

A couple of tsp. of bleach in a couple of cups of water in the lid. The mold and mold smell will be gone. if soap and water doesn't get rid of the bleach smell, put the lid in the sun for a couple of hours.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,722
Bleach is what restaurants did in the old days to wash their dishes before dishwashers were commonly in use. Having said that, you might try coating the lid in a baking soda paste and leave it sit for a while.
__________________
joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Not sure why there is a merciless prejudice against bleach. It's cheap and effective.

Bleach kills mold. Bleach breaks down in sunlight in a matter of an hour or two and isn't bleach anymore.

A couple of tsp. of bleach in a couple of cups of water in the lid. The mold and mold smell will be gone. if soap and water doesn't get rid of the bleach smell, put the lid in the sun for a couple of hours.
I don't have a problem with bleach, I use it liberally...my black t-shirts can attest to that. Thank goodness for Rub a Dub markers!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Sprout, vinegar is your best buddy. Its cheap and effective. Pour a LIBERAL amount on the lid and let it sit. Then wipe and it will be done.
__________________

__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.