More cast iron questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Half Baked

Executive Chef
Goodweed said: And if they say Griswold, or Wagner on the back (especially Griswold), do a little happy jig. But whatever the brand, enjoy them like a good friend.

This was my question. I haven't had any luck finding cast iron pans at thrift shops/flea markets so I'm ready to buy. I am not going to pay for the shipping of the pan so I need to find one close to home.

My question was "Is cast iron, cast iron?" Is there a special brand? Are there different grades....?

Just what should I be looking for?

I would like to know this as well. Lodge is the best know, most available right now, but I have often heard people saying what Goodweed said about Griswold and Wagner. What makes those better? It it just that they are rare or are the better somehow?

HB, check out your local hardware store or camping store. Most of them carry Lodge which is the company that is most well known right now.

Geez, I hadn't even thought of the camping areas in stores. We have plenty of cooking stores. I just wanted to know what I should check out.

Is cast iron like stainless steel and have different grades?

As far as I know, you will not find many different brands. I would be surprised if you found more than just Lodge (although I could be quite wrong on that).

I would think the only difference would be how thick the metal is. The thicker (heavier) the better. My guess though is that any differences you find will be very small.

Griswold was the most famous raw cast iron made in the US (Erie PA) their pans were smooth as glass once seasoned. Wagner was close. Lodge seems to be coarser, but once well seasoned I haven't had a problem. Other brands do not seem to be as carefully made...some have a coating that must be removed etc. The Lodge preseasoned is an advantage to start with. Emerilware (Allclad) makes a few pieces as well.

I would certainly go with Lodge today rather than a brand with no history.

If you are looking for enamelled cast iron, much more expensive, Lodge makes some pieces, as do many other companies. Lamont and Le Creuset are both top quality. Many of the Chinese imports have a thinner coating of enamel which can chip. buyer beware

Thank you all very much. I'll be off to find a thick cast iron skillet or 2.

Now, what sizes do you suggest, if you were only buying 2?

Lodge and Camp Chef make very good cast iron. . Most camping stores carry these brands, MACA also casts some fine iron, but I don't think I've seen them do skillets, just ovens.

Lodge and Camp Chef are hard to find anymore that aren't pre-seasoned. If you want to season your own, your search will be harder.

You can get good cast iron from other cheaper brands (Tek Sport, Stansport, Ridgeway by Kelty) too but you have to do some checking to make sure you get a good casting. You want smooth on the cooking surface and even thickness all around. The surface won't be as smooth as stainless steel pans, but choose the smoothest one you can find. If you're getting one with a lid, check how well the lid fits. You want an even tight seal. No rocking, no gapping.

Sizes, 12 and 10 inches. Skip anything smaller.

thymeless

Oh one more source. Harbor Freight carries their own brand in store usually. You can find good ones there too. Check the casting though as there are some stinkers.

I was thinking 12" and 14". The 10 seems small, like for cooking a grilled cheese.

I'm going to print this out tomorrow so I have my reference sheet. :)

Half Baked said:
Thank you all very much. I'll be off to find a thick cast iron skillet or 2.

Now, what sizes do you suggest, if you were only buying 2?
To answer this question, you would think it would depend on how many you cook for on a regular basis. In fact, though I usually cook for one or two, my most used are the 8" and 12". I think they are up to most tasks. The 6", I find, is only useful for grilled cheese, blooming spices, and ancillary tasks. The only 10" I have is a fryer.

As far as brand is concerned, I am most fond of the older Wagners. For some reason, the seasoning takes better and stays better. My 12" (there's a number rating but I forget) that I bought at a flea market for $3 would put many non-stick modern skillets to shame. You could shave in the reflection on the cooking surface.

I do have a few modern Lodge pieces, mostly sizzle platter type things. IMO, try to avoid the "Logic" line. They are better out of the box, but seem to resist the traditional seasonling techniques.

Last edited:
Hmmm, maybe I should buy one pan and keep on checking the thrift stores and flea markets.

My Lodge cast iron skillet is has a rather rough surface cooking area. Is that normal? It's worked well so far.

One more question: Should I only be using shortening? I don't use hydrogenated oils in my cooking for anything. I've been using vegetable oil so far. I think I'd rather use lard than Crisco, personally.

I have Lodge, Wagner and some unnamed cast iron skillets, from 6 inch to dutch oven. The best quality ones seem to be Wagner, they have a surface like glass. The Lodges are still too rough. I much prefer the Wagner. I would buy one now for the pleasure of cooking with cast iron, and then keep looking around for your next purchase at thrift stores or where ever.

Ekim said:
My Lodge cast iron skillet is has a rather rough surface cooking area. Is that normal? It's worked well so far.
Yes.
Ekim said:
One more question: Should I only be using shortening? I don't use hydrogenated oils in my cooking for anything. I've been using vegetable oil so far. I think I'd rather use lard than Crisco, personally.
I don't know any reason, for the sake of the pan, to cook with shortening instead of other fats but I've had better results seasoning with it.

For seasoning you want to use a fat that will not go rancid, but for cooking you can use any fat.

Lodge is an excellent choice - here in Florida you can find them in the Camping department at Wal-Mart. I'd recommend either a 10 or 12 inch; they both have a small helper handle IIRC. Resist the temptation to "go cheap" - I've heard bad things about the imports developing cracks when exposed to high heat. A Lodge should last a couple of lifetimes. They even sell them pre-seasoned now - "Lodge Logic" - though I haven't tried one out.
Also consider a 5 quart "Dutch oven" (without legs) if you don't have one; they're great for deep frying.

Don't give up on the thrift stores, though - if you luck into a Griswold take it home and make a project out of restoring it. These pans may be 50-plus years old, but they've got an extraordinary "feel" to them that's really special. And as someone else posted, they develop a super-slick surface that I haven't been able to coax out of my Lodges. Good luck!

Last edited:
Yes, Lodge is good and I, too, would steer clear of imports. My favorite sources for cast-iron is thrift stores, auctions and yard sales. I live in a very rural part of the U.S. and cast-iron is a country cook's staple. Some of my pieces are VERY old, perhaps 100-years-old. And, as HickoryHacker has stated, they perform almost like Teflon. The skillet I use for my pineapple upside down cake is awesome.

The key is to season them and take care of them. Once they've gotten a good "seasoning," they are heaven.

I recieved a free Griswold 10-inch skillet because I was the only person in the antique store that new the quality of these pans. The owner had had the pan on display for two years and couldn't get anyone to offer more than three bucks, U.S. He was so impressed with my excitement at finding the pan that he gave it to me on the spot, just because I was aware how good the pan was.:)

Now that's a deal!

So keep checking yard sales, antique shops, epsecially if you can find yard sales in rural areas.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom