"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 09-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #31
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
There is still the question of pets that are left alone in the house. Someone could knock it over or off the counter or pull it off the counter by an electrical cord.

Electrical cords shouldn't be run in such a manner. You could knock it off the counter while home if they are.

And you mentioned your washer. Think the cat will knock that over too?

Every kitchen should be GFCI protected. Either with an outlet in the kitchen or in series before the kitchen. Or you can have a GCFI device placed in the circuit. It only takes one at the head of the circuit to protect the whole thing.

We leave our crock pot, washer, dryer, whatever going. I am weird about the stove because it is open flame. I have been known to run to the garden (about .4 miles from the house) or to the store (4 miles) to pick something up while leaving something on a stable simmer but otherwise I am not a fan of leaving the stove going. The oven I am less weird about (it is contained inside the oven).

There are all manner of appliances people leave on or warmed and don't think about, a properly functioning electrical cooker shouldn't be any different.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Electrical cords shouldn't be run in such a manner. You could knock it off the counter while home if they are.

And you mentioned your washer. Think the cat will knock that over too?

Every kitchen should be GFCI protected. Either with an outlet in the kitchen or in series before the kitchen. Or you can have a GCFI device placed in the circuit. It only takes one at the head of the circuit to protect the whole thing....
No, I don't think the cat could knock over the washer. But, I have had more than one basement flood. One was from a burst water heater. If the washer started leaking all over the floor, I would want to know about it as soon as possible.

What would happen to those things left on when no one is home if one were in a car crash and didn't get home for days.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:02 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Most people do things like that based on the likelihood of something bad happening. That's possible but not very likely. If someone is in the hospital for any reason, hopefully they have friends or family members who can help out with things at home.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #34
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
No, I don't think the cat could knock over the washer. But, I have had more than one basement flood. One was from a burst water heater. If the washer started leaking all over the floor, I would want to know about it as soon as possible.

What would happen to those things left on when no one is home if one were in a car crash and didn't get home for days.
I knew a fella that had something happen with an upstairs toilet the day his family left on vacation. It was about $110K worth of damage which took about 9 months to repair. His insurance took care of it.

A lot of places require modern homes to have water shut off devices. If you don't have one sometimes you have to get one on any plumbing work for the inspector to sign off.

I did leave the house one time with bread dough rising. I was rear ended and was pretty perturbed that the womans need to play with her dogs while she drove was more important than my bread.

We do the best we can and then quit worrying. When we leave a crockpot on it is left on the stove (we have a good bit of room between the burners) We have always been more concerned about bubble over.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:26 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'd go to work with the crockpot on. We go to sleep with the crockpot on. The one time DH shut off the water to the whole house when we went on vacation, we had to have a neighbor break in to turn it back on as my garden was drying up.

Friends also had a major water incident at home with a toilet leak while on vacation, took a lot of work to clean up.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:35 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

The majority of today's counter appliances have very short cords. So if that dang cat should knock it off the counter, the cord is going to pull out of the socket.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:03 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa Jkey View Post
Well, Redmond has a bunch of modes and some types has unlimited modes because of Multichief option. But I'm thinking that 10-20 is enough to cook typical dishes, and steam, fry, bake and so on. Moreover, they give 24 months warranty, it's kinda more than other brands give. Thank you for your opinions! I'm going to buy it soon, and share how it is.
Oh, really, I hope you will be enjoying. I've got one and its good for me to save my time.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:54 AM   #38
Assistant Cook

hi, what's your model? I believe multicooker is a bit better than slow one. I'm really fan of mine. Recently start to bake in it.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #39
Assistant Cook

Thumbs up good helper what I have a lot of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa Jkey View Post
Good afternoon, just need a piece of advice from experienced ones. Recently I've seen in my neighbor's kitchen such a great multicooker . She's using it for making a main dish and for soups as well. Sometimes she even bakes some pies there. It has something like 20 functions or more, including steaming, backing, slow cooking and others.

Week ago I was thinking to buy a new steamer, but now trying to choose between it and multicooker (the last one is a bit more expensive, brand is Redmond).

Maybe somebody has any experience to use multicooker. Is it really useful? Should I buy it or simple steamer is enough. I have a family of 3, including a small child.
Multicooker very handy thing, I use them for a long time. It helps when a lot of work, child, or husband stays at home alone and can not cook - prescription threw all the products inside and get ready delicious and hot dinner. Using them is also very simple - just a few buttons. Now they have become quite clever, I remember in my first an old Panasonic was only 6 programs, but recently changed it, on the advice of a neighbor, a new Redmond 4502, it have more than 30 programs , you can make your own recipes, it is very convenient that you can change the temperature in the cooking process - a program multicook. True design I do not like, but it's good that you can take with you wherever you go to cook dinner for my entire extended family. And the popcorn does not burn.

Tags
cook