Multicooker vs Steamer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't quite get this. The only reason we have a slow cooker is to be able to put on a pot of something and let it cook while we attend to other things. That usually means when we are not at home. We did that for 15 years before I retired, and although our old Crockpot (it's from before they had the fancy electronics - just high, low, and off) doesn't get as much use as it once did, there are still some things that we just naturally cook in it, and usually planned for when we won't be home until too late to cook a proper meal otherwise.

There is nothing to get. Your choice. Mine is to not trust leaving items like this on, unattended.;)

Alisa,

The picture you posted is actually an electric pressure cooker. Many of them also have the functions you mentioned, but are primarily pressure cookers. You can see the locking lid and the steam vent on top.

I have one similar, but a different brand. Keep in mind that if you want to use it for functions other than a pressure cooker, you'll have to buy a separate, non-locking lid for it. Another thing to notice is that MOST electric pressure cookers don't reach as high a pressure as stove-top cookers, so you may need to adjust some of your cooking times accordingly.

Mine was a gift - I'm not sure if I'd have purchased it for myself, but I've been pretty happy with it for the few things I've made. Since I rarely used my slow cooker, and never used the rice cooker, I was able to get rid of 3 bulky items and replace them with one. If I had used any of them often, I would not have replaced. Remember the expression about Jack of All Trades - Master of None? These multi-purpose appliances are reasonably good at most of their functions, but they will never be the ultimate at anything.

YMMV

There is nothing to get. Your choice. Mine is to not trust leaving items like this on, unattended.;)

I'm the same way.

I have used crock pots to takes things to picnics and potlucks.

I never used them to cook when I was at work.

When I had a house I would never think of leaving the oven on, running a load of laundry or running a dishwasher and heading out the door.

I'm just not comfortable leaving appliances running when I'm not home.

Having a slow cooker over the years, and always being a working mother, I too have been hesitant about leaving it on when not at home. I would tell myself, "well you leave the fridge running, the furnace is running, the hot water heater, the kitchen clock plugged in, etc. Why not the slow cooker?" The few times I decided to do it, I called my kids as soon as I knew one of them was home and tell them to unplug the slow cooker. I didn't care if the food wasn't done. I was just too nervous about leaving it plugged in. I still would be. But today, I have no need to go out and leave it. :angel:

You are right

Well, no it cannot. But this device saving my time during the weekdays. I have 2 kids and I’m working, so multi cooker helps me to make some simple dishes like soup, veggies, fish, stew and so on. And you don’t need to keep an eye on that. You just need to put ingredients, program it and after serve the ready meal ))

Yes, I fully agree.:chef: I have got multicooker Redmond and it help me save my precious time. It was my obsession to do nothing till breakfast getting ready. So, sometimes dreams come true. Sure if we want to have a fry chicken or potato, I use just a electric stove but much better to cock a dishes for everyday in multicooker. Better stored vitamins and beneficial for the stomach.

It's been my experience that most specialty kitchen appliances I've purchased tend to gather dust at my house so I've stopped buying them. I have slow cookers, bread makers, pie makers, pasta makers, and the list goes on. They sit on a shelf 99.9% of the time.

I get them out only when some sort of special need or want arises. They come in handy in those circumstances but such little use makes it hard to justify the expense.

It looks like this, not really big or small
47cc687e3d7f.png
. Price is about 100 pounds together with cook book and steam basket.
I have to admit that I haven't used this multicooker but from what I've heard of similar appliances I would hazard an educated guess that it's more versatile than a steamer. The description on the Redmond site certainly says so. If I was choosing and it was in my price range I think I'd go for the multicooker. It might be worth shopping around on the price to see if it's cheaper elsewhere.

I'd like to apologise for some of my fellow DC-ers across the pond. There was no need at all for the unhelpful, sarcastic and un-funny remarks some of them made in reply to your perfectly reasonable request for help. Don't let it put you off.

Last edited:
I'm the same way.

I have used crock pots to takes things to picnics and potlucks.

I never used them to cook when I was at work.

When I had a house I would never think of leaving the oven on, running a load of laundry or running a dishwasher and heading out the door.

I'm just not comfortable leaving appliances running when I'm not home.
In the UK, where the OP lives, unless you have incredibly ancient electrical wiring, the circuit has a built-in Residual Current Device (RCD) which cuts off the power in an emergency so an appliance which meets legal standards should not cause problems (and if the appliance doesn't meet legal standards it won't be on sale in the UK). In addition all appliances of this type have a fuse in the plug and are earthed. Under those circumstances if an appliance is intended to be left on while the householder is absent or asleep it should be safe to do so.

Last edited:
In the UK, where the OP lives, unless you have incredibly ancient electrical wiring, the circuit has a built-in Residual Current Device (RCD) which cuts off the power in an emergency so an appliance which meets legal standards should not cause problems (and if the appliance doesn't meet legal standards it won't be on sale in the UK). In addition all appliances of this type have a fuse in the plug and are earthed. Under those circumstances if an appliance is intended to be left on while the householder is absent or asleep it should be safe to do so.
There is still the question of pets that are left alone in the house. Someone could knock it over or off the counter or pull it off the counter by an electrical cord.

There is still the question of pets that are left alone in the house. Someone could knock it over or off the counter or pull it off the counter by an electrical cord.

Electrical cords shouldn't be run in such a manner. You could knock it off the counter while home if they are.

And you mentioned your washer. Think the cat will knock that over too? :)

Every kitchen should be GFCI protected. Either with an outlet in the kitchen or in series before the kitchen. Or you can have a GCFI device placed in the circuit. It only takes one at the head of the circuit to protect the whole thing.

We leave our crock pot, washer, dryer, whatever going. I am weird about the stove because it is open flame. I have been known to run to the garden (about .4 miles from the house) or to the store (4 miles) to pick something up while leaving something on a stable simmer but otherwise I am not a fan of leaving the stove going. The oven I am less weird about (it is contained inside the oven).

There are all manner of appliances people leave on or warmed and don't think about, a properly functioning electrical cooker shouldn't be any different.

Electrical cords shouldn't be run in such a manner. You could knock it off the counter while home if they are.

And you mentioned your washer. Think the cat will knock that over too? :)

Every kitchen should be GFCI protected. Either with an outlet in the kitchen or in series before the kitchen. Or you can have a GCFI device placed in the circuit. It only takes one at the head of the circuit to protect the whole thing....
No, I don't think the cat could knock over the washer. But, I have had more than one basement flood. One was from a burst water heater. If the washer started leaking all over the floor, I would want to know about it as soon as possible.

What would happen to those things left on when no one is home if one were in a car crash and didn't get home for days.

Last edited:
Most people do things like that based on the likelihood of something bad happening. That's possible but not very likely. If someone is in the hospital for any reason, hopefully they have friends or family members who can help out with things at home.

No, I don't think the cat could knock over the washer. But, I have had more than one basement flood. One was from a burst water heater. If the washer started leaking all over the floor, I would want to know about it as soon as possible.

What would happen to those things left on when no one is home if one were in a car crash and didn't get home for days.

I knew a fella that had something happen with an upstairs toilet the day his family left on vacation. It was about $110K worth of damage which took about 9 months to repair. His insurance took care of it.

A lot of places require modern homes to have water shut off devices. If you don't have one sometimes you have to get one on any plumbing work for the inspector to sign off.

I did leave the house one time with bread dough rising. I was rear ended and was pretty perturbed that the womans need to play with her dogs while she drove was more important than my bread.

We do the best we can and then quit worrying. When we leave a crockpot on it is left on the stove (we have a good bit of room between the burners) We have always been more concerned about bubble over.

I'd go to work with the crockpot on. We go to sleep with the crockpot on. The one time DH shut off the water to the whole house when we went on vacation, we had to have a neighbor break in to turn it back on as my garden was drying up.

Friends also had a major water incident at home with a toilet leak while on vacation, took a lot of work to clean up.

The majority of today's counter appliances have very short cords. So if that dang cat should knock it off the counter, the cord is going to pull out of the socket. :angel:

Well, Redmond has a bunch of modes and some types has unlimited modes because of Multichief option. But I'm thinking that 10-20 is enough to cook typical dishes, and steam, fry, bake and so on. Moreover, they give 24 months warranty, it's kinda more than other brands give. Thank you for your opinions! I'm going to buy it soon, and share how it is.

Oh, really, I hope you will be enjoying. I've got one and its good for me to save my time.

hi, what's your model? I believe multicooker is a bit better than slow one. I'm really fan of mine. Recently start to bake in it.

good helper what I have a lot of time

Good afternoon, just need a piece of advice from experienced ones. Recently I've seen in my neighbor's kitchen such a great multicooker :chef:. She's using it for making a main dish and for soups as well. Sometimes she even bakes some pies there. It has something like 20 functions or more, including steaming, backing, slow cooking and others.

Week ago I was thinking to buy a new steamer, but now trying to choose between it and multicooker (the last one is a bit more expensive, brand is Redmond).

Maybe somebody has any experience to use multicooker. Is it really useful? Should I buy it or simple steamer is enough. I have a family of 3, including a small child.

Multicooker very handy thing, I use them for a long time. :chef: It helps when a lot of work, child, or husband stays at home alone and can not cook :wacko: - prescription threw all the products inside and get ready delicious and hot dinner. Using them is also very simple - just a few buttons. Now they have become quite clever, I remember in my first an old Panasonic was only 6 programs, but recently changed it, on the advice of a neighbor, a new Redmond 4502, it have more than 30 programs , you can make your own recipes, it is very convenient that you can change the temperature in the cooking process - a program multicook. True design I do not like, but it's good that you can take with you wherever you go to cook dinner for my entire extended family. And the popcorn does not burn.

Back
Top Bottom