Multiple Pizza Stones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't see why not. One on each shelf.

I'd arrange the shelves so the distance from the top of the oven to the top shelf and the distance from the top shelf to the second shelf are the same. Heat will bounce off the bottom of the top stone and cook your toppings on the lower pizza. You want the same thing to happen to the top pizza with heat bouncing off the top of the oven. That way, both pizzas will be done at abut the same time, assuming you put them in at the same time.

The only downside I can think of is that it will take longer for thorough preheat. I've always preheated a single stone for at least 30 to 45 minutes.

ATK did a test for preheating stones at 500 degrees F and found that to get the stone to 500 degrees you had to preheat for 1 hour. At 30 minutes the stone was 415, @ 45 mins it was 451. They had pictures of pizzas baked at these different preheats and the difference was amazing how much better the 1 hour preheat made the dough rise and brown.

ATK did a test for preheating stones at 500 degrees F and found that to get the stone to 500 degrees you had to preheat for 1 hour. At 30 minutes the stone was 415, @ 45 mins it was 451. They had pictures of pizzas baked at these different preheats and the difference was amazing how much better the 1 hour preheat made the dough rise and brown.

That's good to know. How thick were their stones?

That sounds close to what I read when I first started making my own pizza.

I use 2 stones for 1 pizza.

1 on top and 1 on the bottom.

Trying to get a hot spot in the oven.

Works good for me.

I would think 2 stones would take the same time to heat up?

Good luck in your endeavor.

I use 2 stones for 1 pizza.

1 on top and 1 on the bottom.

Trying to get a hot spot in the oven.

Works good for me.

I would think 2 stones would take the same time to heat up?

Good luck in your endeavor.

I moved my pizza stone to near the top of the oven and create a hot spot that way.

I place both stones in the middle and once they've heated up I have a nice aprox 4 inch space that is good and hot with what seems like even heat top and bottom.

Sometimes I use the convection but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Andy - I looked at the article and could not find a reference to stone thickness. Although the recommended stone was the "Old Stone Oven" brand. You may be able to get some info off the Internet

Andy - I looked at the article and could not find a reference to stone thickness. Although the recommended stone was the "Old Stone Oven" brand. You may be able to get some info off the Internet

Thanks GA. Those stones are listed at 1/2" to 3/8" thick. It is counter-intuitive to me that it would take so long to heat a stone to oven temp. I believe what you're saying. Just hard to take.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom