My Cast Iron Grill is Useless - Help would be appreciated.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After applying the shortening, di dyou heat it on the stove top or in the oven?
Oven like you told me to. I loved the results of the other pans after I got that bit of gunk off the one pan but in the end the results on the other pans was pure beauty.

This griddle thing, not so happy.

I'm stumped. Applying shortening to a rust free and dry griddle and baking it in the oven should do the trick. I don't know why it's rusting.

I'm stumped. Applying shortening to a rust free and dry griddle and baking it in the oven should do the trick. I don't know why it's rusting.
That's why I'm thinking it's defective. I followed all the tips you gave me and only used a nylon brush on the thing. Every once in a while something is just defective, this might just be one of those times.

I guess your best bet is to return it. I don't understand how it's defective. Someone will have to explain that to me.

Have you considered an electric grill/griddle/panini press?

I guess your best bet is to return it. I don't understand how it's defective. Someone will have to explain that to me.

Have you considered an electric grill/griddle/panini press?
I had an electric griddle for years. The first one was stolen by the movers. I replaced it and the cats knocked it off my fridge just before I moved. I loved my electric griddle. It was my favorite piece of kitchen equipment and I cry thinking about not having it now.

IMO it's defective because I took the best care possible of the item and it rusted through no fault of my own. To me it's like buying a dress, washing it according to manufacturers directions and having it shrink to where I can't wear it. I bought a piece of cooking equipment, I took care of it to manufacturers specs and it rusted without me doing something like leaving it in the rain or letting water sit on it for days. I followed manufacturers directions and it rusted, that shouldn't happen, IMO.

Callisto In NC said:
I followed everything I did with all the other pans and this one rusted in two circles where the heat hits the grill.

The two circles...On the grill side or the griddle (flat) side?? Gas stove or electric??

It's odd, the circles are on the grill side and the fire (gas burner/gas stove) has only ever hit the griddle side. The rust is on the grill side.

The rust is occurring on the side you cooked the marinated meat on..The side you scrubbed all the original gunk (burned on marinade) from.. including any seasoning that was there ...OK. Now it's rusting even after you attempted to re-season it. The problem is your attempt at re-seasoning failed...for whatever reason. The solution is to scrub the rust off with a Brillo pad...dry it completely, and re-season Three times before you use it again...Apply the Crisco/oil..."Cook" it for an hour or so...turn the stove off and go to bed. Leave it in the stove..Let it cool down slowly over night...
That should resolve your problem...

Thanks UB. It's just too much work and I paid for something to use on both sides and the flat side only turns things black from the burners. I did call Lodge and they thought it was odd that a grill used less than half a dozen times was rusting. They said to return it and inform the store that the manufacturer felt it was defective.

I am so frustrated. I used the grill side of my griddle/grill CI last night and the marinade really messed up the pan. So 3 hours ago I put the dang thing in a 500 degree oven and it's just messed up now. Is a CI grill only good for non-marinaded meats? I mean, what's the point of this thing? It seems like way more work than it's worth and definitely not worth the money I paid for it. Sadly, I wanted this thing for 2 years before I bought it and now I just wish I had the money back I paid for it.

Personally, I think they are useless. They don't really grill your food. They just put nice marks on them.

Personally, I think they are useless. They don't really grill your food. They just put nice marks on them.

surprises.smileysmiley.com.54.gif

Thanks UB. It's just too much work and I paid for something to use on both sides and the flat side only turns things black from the burners. I did call Lodge and they thought it was odd that a grill used less than half a dozen times was rusting. They said to return it and inform the store that the manufacturer felt it was defective.

You're welcome, and I would have expected nothing less from Lodges excellent customer service...I only use the griddle side of mine for pancakes, toasting bread, warming various buns, taco shells...and cooking an occasional egg, sausage patty etc..it performs well. I've never been impressed with the grill side...It will put grill marks on a dry piece of meat, and that's about it.
Anyway, I'm glad everything will work out to your satisfaction!!

I have the round flat griddle pan and can use it for pancakes so I was hoping the grill side would be my friend. Because I used the grill side, when I tried to use the griddle side for a large batch of pancakes, they turned black. It was very unpleasant and I was glad I had the flat round. I'm guessing if the big double sided grill/griddle is useless, the grill pans would be too?? What do you think? Should I just skip it?

I wouldn't bother with the pan either.

Just use a cast iron skillet. The difference will be that the skillet cooks the meat faster and instead of nice brown stripes on the meat, the entire surface will be browned. Not a bad thing.

If you weren't happy with the grill side of the large grill/griddle...I'm thinking you want be happy with the Grill pan either...They (square or round) are the same thing...just a different shape (and deeper) than the elongated double-sided version that you bought. So maybe the best plan of action is to just skip it...

I have a Lodge 2 burner griddle-grill, and I have never used the grill side. Mine is so rough that I doubt if it would ever season correctly. There is a slight amount of rust on the grill side, which I do not worry about. Never tried to seaon the grill side.. The griddle side gets daily use, and works well.

Thanks Andy and Everyone. I'm going to see if they have the 6" pan at Gander when I return the grill/griddle. I really like those little 6" pans they use at Chili's for their queso dip.

If you are going to use the 6" pan for steaks, it may crowd the steak. I would check out flea markets, yard sales, etc and look for a larger smoother CI skillet, Griswold or Wagner, or some other older brand. A #8 size works well for me. Far cheaper, and way better.

If you are going to use the 6" pan for steaks, it may crowd the steak. I would check out flea markets, yard sales, etc and look for a larger smoother CI skillet, Griswold or Wagner, or some other older brand. A #8 size works well for me. Far cheaper, and way better.
No, the plan for the 6 inch would be to do what Chili's does and use it more as a warm serving dish for sausage queso dip. I have an 8, 10, and 12 already so the 6 inch would be more for presentation. They appear to be really cheap.

I wish there were more garage sales around. I check the Goodwill frequently but never find CI there. I'm actually jealous of all you lucky people that keep finding CI at yard sales. I wish I was that lucky.

Back
Top Bottom