"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #31
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Personally, I think they are useless. They don't really grill your food. They just put nice marks on them.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:53 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Personally, I think they are useless. They don't really grill your food. They just put nice marks on them.
I found that out ~ the hard way. My George Forman does a better job at actually cooking the meat than this thing did.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:25 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Thanks UB. It's just too much work and I paid for something to use on both sides and the flat side only turns things black from the burners. I did call Lodge and they thought it was odd that a grill used less than half a dozen times was rusting. They said to return it and inform the store that the manufacturer felt it was defective.
You're welcome, and I would have expected nothing less from Lodges excellent customer service...I only use the griddle side of mine for pancakes, toasting bread, warming various buns, taco shells...and cooking an occasional egg, sausage patty etc..it performs well. I've never been impressed with the grill side...It will put grill marks on a dry piece of meat, and that's about it.
Anyway, I'm glad everything will work out to your satisfaction!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #34
Executive Chef

I have the round flat griddle pan and can use it for pancakes so I was hoping the grill side would be my friend. Because I used the grill side, when I tried to use the griddle side for a large batch of pancakes, they turned black. It was very unpleasant and I was glad I had the flat round. I'm guessing if the big double sided grill/griddle is useless, the grill pans would be too?? What do you think? Should I just skip it?
Old 03-30-2009, 12:35 PM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

I wouldn't bother with the pan either.

Just use a cast iron skillet. The difference will be that the skillet cooks the meat faster and instead of nice brown stripes on the meat, the entire surface will be browned. Not a bad thing.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:41 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

If you weren't happy with the grill side of the large grill/griddle...I'm thinking you want be happy with the Grill pan either...They (square or round) are the same thing...just a different shape (and deeper) than the elongated double-sided version that you bought. So maybe the best plan of action is to just skip it...

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:47 PM   #37
Head Chef

I have a Lodge 2 burner griddle-grill, and I have never used the grill side. Mine is so rough that I doubt if it would ever season correctly. There is a slight amount of rust on the grill side, which I do not worry about. Never tried to seaon the grill side.. The griddle side gets daily use, and works well.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:51 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Thanks Andy and Everyone. I'm going to see if they have the 6" pan at Gander when I return the grill/griddle. I really like those little 6" pans they use at Chili's for their queso dip.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #39
Head Chef

If you are going to use the 6" pan for steaks, it may crowd the steak. I would check out flea markets, yard sales, etc and look for a larger smoother CI skillet, Griswold or Wagner, or some other older brand. A #8 size works well for me. Far cheaper, and way better.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:41 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
If you are going to use the 6" pan for steaks, it may crowd the steak. I would check out flea markets, yard sales, etc and look for a larger smoother CI skillet, Griswold or Wagner, or some other older brand. A #8 size works well for me. Far cheaper, and way better.
No, the plan for the 6 inch would be to do what Chili's does and use it more as a warm serving dish for sausage queso dip. I have an 8, 10, and 12 already so the 6 inch would be more for presentation. They appear to be really cheap.

I wish there were more garage sales around. I check the Goodwill frequently but never find CI there. I'm actually jealous of all you lucky people that keep finding CI at yard sales. I wish I was that lucky.