My cast iron pan always leaves black stain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giba

Assistant Cook
I bought a Lodge pre-seasoned cast-iron pan recently, and every time after cleaning (with hot water) and wiping it with paper towel, the pan always leaves obvious black stain on the paper towel. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance

I have not used the pre-seasoned pans, but I know that is normal with the regular cast iron pans. As you use the pan more and build up the seasoning this will go away eventually.

thanks for your response. by the way, I've eventually decided to re-season my pan. What type of oil do you recommend? I've used Mazola's canola + corn oil blend, but was unsatisfied with the result, as it left a very unpleasant, oily smell to my pan every time it's heated up.

Thanks again

Yes, that is normal. It will build up after use and finally you will have coated it with much oil it will be okay, but will still put the burnt stuff on your paper towel.
Just keep any water away from it. I clean mine just after cooking something (while it's hot) by pouring out the grease, then with a kind of heavy clean cloth (wash rag type towel) I just wipe it out and try never to put any water in the pan. (I know the directions say hot water but I never learned that way.)
I scrape all of the "stuff" out. Then I pour out most of the grease and then just wipe it out and make sure you leave some of the grease in the pan to protect it or else put some in to "butter" it for protection against rust.
And I put a piece of parchement over it also to keep it clean.

I gotta get my two cents in on this one! I had the same problem untill I learned to take care of my "Cast-Iron". Learning the hard-way, I have found this:
Pre-heat the oven to 450-475 deg F.
When it is hot you may proceed:
A brand new cast-iron needs a good cleaning with hot, soapy water. Rinse, dry thouroughly and immediatly set onto a Med-Hi burner to heat up. As the moisture evaporates, begin to wipe the cast-iron with Crisco. Allow the Crisco to melt into the "pores". Work from the inside center outward. Include all surfaces, even the handle. When you think it is well coated, place in the oven for one hour, if you can stand it. Thirty min otherwise. Then turn the oven off. BUT..leave the cast-iron in the oven for all to cool.
WA-LA ! You have "seasoned" your cast-iron for the first time!
After my cast-iron has been "seasoned", it never again touches water.
I use it for "grease" stuff only.
It stays clean always, because, when done, I empty/scrape the cast-iron. And then follow with a good scrubbing My "scrubbing" is the pouring in of table salt, (is real cheap), and scrubbing with paper towels. I repeat as necessary.
Besides the cast-iron being real clean, it also has just been "germ-proofed" ! The salt does it.
On those occasions where my cast-iron gets, "violated", with water. I simply start all over.
Please note: The above process is a "hand" method, which must be performed from Start-to-Finish at one time. Any delay between the water and the greasing will allow rust to form. And that will be a taste you will not like.
Also, No Dishwashers for Cast-Iron. Period.

There it is!
Chatwon has said it all!
This is the final word! Wonderful and great advice about iron pans. Enough said.
Everone just save the message and heed it for iron pans.

Part of that is what I explained in another thread.

But if you don't want to go though that long slow dragged-out process with future cast iron pans, you CAN get them preseasoned. Lodge, a well-respected cast iron cookware co. that's been around for maybe a century or more, DOES make & sell preseasoned cookware now.

They also have different styles, and noe they have porcelain-coated designer colors as well. You can visit their website at http://www.lodgemfg.com.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Vegetable oil.

They use exactly the same process that we'd use at home, except that they use a huge brick oven and let the pans & matching lids stay in the oven for 7 to 8 hours.

But of coarse, they still sell it unseasoned as well, like they always have. But to me, buying the cookware preseasoned saves all that aggravating long work of trying to do it yourself.

I just ordered a Lodge 5-qt. preseasoned cast iron Dutch Oven from Cooking.com.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
thanks corey, good info.

i have 2 pans, 1 very old, 1 fairly new that are in need of re-seasoning.
i have a recipe for chicken tender filled latkes from colameco's food show (the one where he went to restaurant citronelle in wash. d.c.) that i'm looking to try out, and i think pan frying in cast iron is the way to go.
i will post the recipe when my experiments bear fruit.
if all goes well, i'm gonna email the guy with a few questions, he seems amiable enough, and invite him to dc.

HH got a smallish pre-seasoned Lodge pan (Lodge Logic) with a lid for Christmas. It's to cook his beans in.

The instructions say to rinse first with hot water (no soap) and dry before using.

"Before cooking, prepare the cooking surface by oiling (see everybody's suggestions above) or spraying with Pam.

buckytom said:
thanks corey, good info.

i have 2 pans, 1 very old, 1 fairly new that are in need of re-seasoning.
i have a recipe for chicken tender filled latkes from colameco's food show (the one where he went to restaurant citronelle in wash. d.c.) that i'm looking to try out, and i think pan frying in cast iron is the way to go.
i will post the recipe when my experiments bear fruit.
if all goes well, i'm gonna email the guy with a few questions, he seems amiable enough, and invite him to dc.

Buckytom,

I received the preseasoned Lodge 5-qt. Dutch Oven today.

A small catalog listing their products came with it. There are also instructions in it on how to season the non-seasoned pans & lids. And here it is;:ermm:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degees.

2. Wash new natural finish cast iron with hot soapy water and a stiff brush. Rinse & dry.

3. Coat the interior and exterior surfaces with melted solid vegetable shortening or vegetable oil.

4. Place cookware upside down on middle oven rack, put aluminum foil on lower rack to catch drippings. Bake for one hour. Turn the oven off, leaving the cookware in the oven for 1 hour.

When finished, the cast iron cookware will look slightly brown, but it is seasoned and ready to use. To turn the cookware darker, you may repeat
the process 2 or 3 more times.

Good luck!:chef:

~Corey123.

thank you very much corey. i am gonna try to re-season my pans tomorrow, so this is a great help. thanks again.

if water CANT touch your black iron pans/ pots ovens ...........how can you cook anything in them? Doesnt all food produce some moisture?

if water CANT touch your black iron pans/ pots ovens ...........how can you cook anything in them? Doesnt all food produce some moisture?

That's a fallacy. CI is pretty rugged. I wouldn't pour ice cold water into a scorchingly hot dry pan. But the liquids used during the normal cooking process are no problem.

After cooking I let the pan cool then rinse it out with a sponge and dry it on a burner.

For stubborn food stuck on the pan. Boil water in the pan for a while to soften the residue and proceed to the previously described steps.

Back
Top Bottom