My pancakes stick to the pan.. help..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ttodd0450

Assistant Cook
:mad:

I do not like to use Teflon pans,, the type of pan i am attempting to use for pancakes is a large aluminum skillet.

I have tried coating with a non stick vegetable oil.., I have tried pouting in three tablespoons of cooking oil.
I have tried using butter or margarine in the melted pan,, I have tied using a temperature of 7 to 8 on the rotary dial ( 1 being highest)..,
I have also tried putting a teaspoon of vegetable oil in the batter.. All have failed..

the pancakes.. while slowly cooking and developing the air holes in the top of the pan cake will let me know when to flip.., and of course the pan cake is all stuck to the bottom of the pan, and it ends up looking like scrambled eggs..

What am I doing wrong??
:mad:

My first thought is that your pan is not hot enough. Your pan needs to be hot enough so a drop of water "skitters" or "dances" across it before it evaporates. Hopefully somebody else can offer assistance.

The few times I've cooked pancakes I've used a cast iron griddle. Well seasoned preferably. You can find these at Walmart cheap. Look for the brand "Lodge" they're supposed to be good.

Todd, welcome to Discuss Cooking.

Try this:

Lightly coat the hot pan with butter and let that get hot. Add the batter and leave the pancake undisturbed until it's time to flip. Hot pan, hot fat do not disturb (no shaking the pan, no lifting a corner to peek, nothing)

If that doesn't do it, buy a non-stick pan/griddle. Thres' no reason not to.

don't know what really went wrong since you already tried them all. For me, I use non-stick pans and when I make pancakes, I use 3 non-stick pans at the same time, sometimes 4 of them, that way, I can have hot pancakes ^_^. never add oil or butter to my non-stick pans when I make pancakes, just heat them up, add the batter and flip.

Last edited:
This is an easy one. Aluminum is notorious for things sticking to it. And pancakes stick to things easily. The only aluminum pans I have are a camp-set. And I seasoned them by cooking oil in them until it hardend on the cooking surface. After I did that, the pans worked much better.

Before purchasing an electric skillet (large size is great for pancakes), I used cast iron exclusively. With just a light coating of oil (put in a tbs. and wipe around wikth paper towel), nothing sticks to it. Pancakes, eggs, meats, hash-browns, all cook great. But my cast iron is very well seasoned. Once you do that, it's the best all-around cookwear you can get.

Stainless steel is also notorious for things sticking to it. But that problem is alleviated by getting the pan hot, with nothing in it, just bare, dry metal. When it is hot enough so that drips of water dropped into it dance accross the surface, you then add cooking oil or butter. Then you cna cook without things sticken horribly. You might try that technique with your aluminum pan. And remember, if you season it as you would with cast iron, it will perform much better, even if it doesn't look as good.

Cast-iron is cheep, and is my cooking vessel of choice.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I've always used non-stick for pancakes. Currently, I'm using a 22" wide electric griddle that can cook 8 5" pancakes at once. Since I have a lot of kids, this is ideal.

We use cast iron skillets and my brother (the pancake man) uses butter so it won't stick.

Cameron

Mrs. Big Dog makes the pancakes normally, and uses a flip top griddle/waffle maker. Cast iron cooking surfaces with electric coil heat. First couple don't turn out the best, but after that, flawless pancakes!

Back
Top Bottom