Need a new stock pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeV

Washing Up
Well, the family is once again on me for suggestions for Christmas gifts, so while looking over Italian Wedding Soup recipes I realized that I could use a new stock pot for making soup. I have an inexpensive stainless steel 12 qt pot with a lid, but if I don't pay attention, ingredients will often stick to the bottom...quickly!

I know there are lots of options out there, but I would like to hear from some of you who have a decent stock/soup pot that distributes the heat evenly on the stovetop. One of the kids will be buying this, so it would be nice if it were somewhere in $50 price range. Not sure if that's too low, but the kids aren't made of money. If it's a lot more, I'll just buy it for myself after Christmas and ask for more sox & underwear.:LOL: Gosh, I am really hard to buy for...

JoeV

This is a hard anodized pot and can take full on metal utensils. I use a cheap cleanser (Food Lion Brand if you are familiar) that is an abrasive like Comet USED to be!!!! Comet is scratch-free now and doesn't work as well as the old mixture. Or you can use the Calphalon cleaner. I am a stickler about cleaning my pots and pans. I scrub and scrub and rinse, rinse, rinse until I feel NOTHING on them. You clean the inside and outside with the abrasive. There is no "finish" to damage. It heats very evenly and MUCH thicker than your thinner stockpots, of which I have several, and they serve their purpose well...just not good for sauteeing at a medium/high or even a high heat.

Henckels, the German knife manufacturer, makes superb stainless cookware, as good as All Clad IMHO but much less expensive.

This one is a bit more than the price range you mentioned, about $120. Well worth the cost as it's a lifetime investment. Go to Amazon and search for "J.A. Henckels International Classic Clad 8-Quart Stock Pot with lid."

419GSGZPGVL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I have an 8 quart Tramontina set with pasta strainer and steaming basket that I got at Wal-Mart several years ago... Now that I look again, the price seems to have gone up considerably... Maybe the in-store prices would be more reasonable.

It is stainless though, but I don't make anything in it would stick.

Thanks, Kitchenelf! I'll check on the availability of this in a 12 qt model, perhaps by another top manufacturer if Claphalon doesn't make it in 12 qt..

The link I provided it for a 12-quart Calphalon. The reason I like the hard anodized is because you can scrub it clean and there is no mirror finish to protect. I also do NOT like coated pots and pans except for a couple skillets when doing eggs.

The link I provided it for a 12-quart Calphalon. The reason I like the hard anodized is because you can scrub it clean and there is no mirror finish to protect. I also do NOT like coated pots and pans except for a couple skillets when doing eggs.

Oops! Classic male mistake...not reading the whole thing.:LOL:

I use an old granite ware blue stock pot that was my grandma's. I have never had a problem with things sticking in it.

I use an old granite ware blue stock pot that was my grandma's. I have never had a problem with things sticking in it.

Care to part with it? I'll pay the shipping. I like older cookware and bakeware because it was made so well. Just yesterday I picked up 7 bread pans from an old school cafeteria; 12-3/4" x 4" x 2-1/2" deep for FREE!

I'd love to help you Joe, but we have one 35-year-old Calphalon piece and several Revere Ware pieces that are nearly 50-years-old that are still going strong. All of them have served us so well we've never felt the need to look for new ones. Best wishes on your search.

The calphalon pot is a fine stock pot; it is thick metal, hard anodized to be non reactive, and at a good price. I have one and it has served me well for many years now.

Joe, when you're at Sam's Club checking out the half sheet pans, look for a hard anodized stockpot as well. Their Member's Mark products have been highly regarded.

Check out Macy's. Couple of years ago I picked up an excellent SS 16 qt pot there for $20 bucks. Right now might be a good time to check.

Unless there is a sale going on, what you can get for $50 in 2008/9 is probably going to stick.

I would go with a stock pot from the restaurant supply store. It will last the rest of your life, but I believe I paid $50 for mine around 25 years ago...

(Just made soup in it tonight. Nothing sticks, even after all these years. It's Duraware.

Care to part with it? I'll pay the shipping. I like older cookware and bakeware because it was made so well. Just yesterday I picked up 7 bread pans from an old school cafeteria; 12-3/4" x 4" x 2-1/2" deep for FREE!

You gonna use all of those? I've been trying to figure out where to get loaf pans of that size. I would gladly buy up to 4 of them from you if you can spare any.

Russ

:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:
No Way would I part with it. I fought many cousins/cousin's wifes for this pan and I have it in my will that it goes to my niece!

Back
Top Bottom