Need Dutch Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
The Dutch Oven I am using is over 50 years old. It is the old hammered aluminum kind. I want to buy a new one and have no idea of what to get. What do you have that you are happy with?

I don't know what your budget is but, after trying various ones over the years, we bought a Le Creuset Dutch oven several years ago. Actually, we bought 2 and love them both.

I braised several pounds of turkey necks this week to make a base stock for my Thanksgiving turkey gravy and it turned out perfectly.

One of the things I like best about Le Creuset is that the lids fit nice and tightly. Barely any moisture escapes so all the good yummies stay inside. Another of its good features is that because it is cast-iron it's a great heat conductor and holds the heat well.

Just my two cents worth.

I'll enter another vote for Le Creuset. I have two and use them all the time. The lids are tight, they heat evenly, and clean easily.

While Le Creuset are really good, they aren't really the only show in town and if budget is a factor, there is MUCH to choose from. But I definitely would get an enamel cast iron oven (LC is actually a "French oven", of course) and NOT an aluminum or stainless steel one. I do have a couple of LCs and the Innova. They are WONDerful cooking utensils and you will enjoy the enamel cast iron ever so much more than the aluminum. And I used to have one of those too!!
Go to Amazon and do a search for enamel cast iron oven. Right now a 6 qt. Lodge is on sale for about $60. There is a line called Innova --the 7 qt. can be had for $50 (I have it in bright canary yellow and LOVE it). Daniel Bolud has a line that is under $100. And Mario Batali has a 6qt. for $100 (and sometimes on sale for $70). I purchased 3 of the latter for Christmas presents for our children.
If you REALLY want a LC and want to shop for price, look at www.caplanduval.com . It is a Canadian company and even with shipping their LC is often VERy reasonable.

I've had a variety of Dutch ovens. The one my mom and dad got for a wedding present in 1946 still makes a fine pot roast. It's silver in color, and quite heavy...could be like the hammered aluminum pan you have, although my husband thinks it's some kind of alloy.
I had a Le Creuset, and it's a fine pot, but too heavy for me, so I gave it to our son. Still have the old cast iron one we used for camping. I've hung on to all my cast iron, even though I don't use it.
I have two Dutch ovens from Calaphon. One is oval, and looks a lot like the old one of my mom's, right down to the shape of the handles. It doesn't have the non-stick finish, but I seasoned it, and it cleans quite easily. It also has the trivet to go in the bottom, as does mom's.
The other is black, like the skillets I have, but it's a newer Calaphon alloy. I use it a lot for stews and the like. It's a great piece.

Each of the above has it's good qualities, but if I had to pick just one, I'd go with the silver Calaphon. My second choice would be the Le Creuset.
Both are quite pricey, but I've learned over the years that it's cheaper in the long run to buy the good stuff, even if you must buy one at a time. For one thing, most have a lifetime guarantee. I've had both Le Creuset and Calaphon replace items I had a problem with.
And they really do cook better.

I also would recommend a cast iron DO, but as someone mentioned, Le Creuset is SO bloody expensive. I have a small pot of theirs that I use almost every day, but for larger things, I have two different sized cast iron DOs. The larger of the two I actually purchased in the camping supply section of Wal Mart. Cost about $35. The smaller I inherited. :)

Check estate sales in your area if you have the time. They quite often have nifty stuff.

While cast iron is a great cooking pot, it isn't good for tomato based things. And it requires a lot of care. There are VERY good enamel cast iron ovens available for good prices. It is worth $50.

I think you all are right about spending the money to get a good one. Thank you so much for your advice.
You guys are great, I knew I could come to you and get some help.:)

JoAnn L. said:
I think you all are right about spending the money to get a good one. Thank you so much for your advice.
You guys are great, I knew I could come to you and get some help.:)

But please look at my suggestions for good quality at also good prices. It is possible to do both.

Ron W. said:

I looked further and I see they have a Calphalon 6 qt. reg $99.95 for 59.95 and its free shipping over a certain amount. Of course there are a few other items I would like to have too so it wouldn't take me long to reach that amt..
Amazon also has some very good buys.
I have got a lot of thinking to do.:unsure:

JoAnn L. said:
I looked further and I see they have a Calphalon 6 qt. reg $99.95 for 59.95 and its free shipping over a certain amount. Of course there are a few other items I would like to have too so it wouldn't take me long to reach that amt..
Amazon also has some very good buys.
I have got a lot of thinking to do.:unsure:

If you mean the Calphalon Everyday nonstick I think you can do better for the same money.

cutleryandmore free shipping starts at $59.

also-look at thier cassrole offerings. Even tho they list them as casserole dishes most of them are dutch ovens.

http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Commercial-Hard-Anodized-7-Quart-Casserole/dp/B00004WYJW/sr=1-10/qid=1163952350/ref=sr_1_10/002-9933648-3080026?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden

If you are looking for an enameled cast iron "dutch oven" do not go for the inexpensive products made in China (Inova Color Cast, or Copco's Mario Batali line. ) The enamel chips easily. Some of them even come with thin spots that crack on first use. I've sent two Batali pots back for just that and I like the size and shape, but the quality is not there.

You get what you pay for, and my money goes to Le Creuset, Lodge (makes an enameled pot that's good) Lamont, Straub. THere is a reason something costs $250 ... tripple fired at 1500+ degrees on properly prepared metal. However, it will last you a lifetime...I'm still using a Le Creuset pot that mom got in the 60s.

I had planned to buy the Le Creuset 5.5 qt. One reason (among many) is to make the new york times bread! They say (ebay) the knob is plastic and can take 450. The bread man said to heat to 500. Has anyone used this high temp ok?

I do love love Le Cruset, but for everyday life (as long as tomatos are not involved) I use plain old aluminum Dutch Oven that I got from here . Works just fine. I do not use it for tomato products, but for meats, or grains, or vegy works exelent.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom